business

Nikkei ends lower as investors lock in recent gains

10 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© KYODO

©2020 GPlusMedia Inc.

10 Comments
Login to comment

we need rate 120jpy for 1 usd at least...

1 ( +4 / -3 )

To reinforce the message that henceforth trade will be all about reciprocity, and until results verify an awakening among elites here, 80-90 to the US$ is highly doable. Enough indulging those who promise much but deliver little; send a strong, clear message and weaponise the currency now.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

In my opinion, Matej, with this sorry economy here in Japan, it should be 150 to the dollar.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

while major gainers included air transportation

Yes there are so many travelers those days gains are truly justified!

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Just for balance, how about using 'lock in losses’ to refer to people who capitulate to fear and sell their stocks at a discount to what they were expecting, rather than hold onto them and see them go down even more.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

How about “sell to the BOJ” because what else is buying Japanese stocks?

2 ( +2 / -0 )

How about “sell to the BOJ” because what else is buying Japanese stocks?

With its latest boost, the BOJ is now purchasing about 15% of TSE listed equity. So we can assume the other 85% are being bought by regular investors.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

In my opinion, Matej, with this sorry economy here in Japan, it should be 150 to the dollar.

When the US agrees to do so, which it is never.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

15%!! It's a whale...

Imagine you were investing in stocks for your retirement etc.

But how would you have confidence that the BOJ won't be selling stocks by the time you need the money in retirement?

A market tied to monetary policy is not the sort of market where I'd want my money.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

@fxgai

A market tied to monetary policy is not the sort of market where I'd want my money.

Quite a few observers believe the US Fed will start doing the same thing.

But how would you have confidence that the BOJ won't be selling stocks by the time you need the money in retirement?

They're actually ETFs, not individual stocks, each containing scores or hundreds of stocks managed passively. It's highly unlikely the BOJ would be rolling them off suddenly or in large allotments.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites