Police said Wednesday that a couple from Kashiwa in Chiba Prefecture, have been charged over the death of their son from starvation in May of last year. Yuzo and Satomi Kosaka, aged 39 and 27 respectively, have pleaded guilty to child neglect resulting in death.
A police spokesman told a news conference that the couple failed to provide adequate nutrition for their son, Aoshi, for around 2 1/2 years. At the time of his death, when he was two years and 10 months old, police say the boy weighed just 5.8 kilograms, around half that of an average child of his age.
At the time of the boy's death, Yuzo Kosaka told TV reporters that the cause of death must have been due to an eating disorder or something like that. After his arrest on Tuesday, he was quoted by police as saying, "It's not like we did nothing for him." His wife Satomi has reportedly told police that the couple allowed the boy to starve.© Japan Today