Police have warned parents to stop their children from touching food and other objects found lying on the ground in and around a park in Sakae, Chiba Prefecture, on suspicion that poisoned food is being deliberately left in the area.
Suspicions were aroused last month when a man walking his dog in Juo park was forced to rush the animal to a vet after it became unable to stand. While the vet treated the animal, the man returned to the park and found a sausage coated in a blue liquid. Investigators believe the substance may have been a poison containing car antifreeze or ethylene glycol, Sankei Shimbun reported.
According to the vet, the dog ingested some kind of substance that attacked its nervous system and depleted the calcium in its blood. The dog was admitted to the veterinary clinic for several days and then released with a clean bill of health.
The park is situated in a residential area and local authorities have warned that five dead cats have been reported in the area since September. Police believe the poisonings may have been deliberate and are urging parents to control their pets and prevent their children from picking up objects left on the ground.© Japan Today