Japan Today
crime

Man arrested for posting 39 threats against Nintendo online last year

6 Comments

Police in Kyoto have arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of forcibly obstructing business operations after he posted threats against Nintendo employees and Nintendo events 39 times last year.

According to police, the suspect, who works for the Hitachi City local government in Ibaraki Prefecture, posted the threats, using the inquiry form on Nintendo’s website between August and November, Yomiuri Shimbun reported Thursday. Some of the messages said that no matter how much security there was, a bomb would go off and people would be killed at event venues.

Nintendo canceled Nintendo Live 2024 Tokyo, which had been set for Jan 20 and 21 and postponed several contests, including the Japan championship for the popular ink-shooting game Splatoon, initially scheduled for December, as well as this year’s Mario Kart and Splatoon contests.

Police said the suspect has admitted to posting the threats but has so far given no motive.

© Japan Today

©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.

6 Comments
Login to comment

He sounds like mentally unstable, but nintendo’s actions of cancelling event and delaying cannot be related to an individual’s post. If it’s real, nintendo must also be mentally unstable.

-6 ( +1 / -7 )

forcibly obstructing business operations

This charge again. Police has been using this to arrest virtually anyone they want.

-2 ( +4 / -6 )

This charge again. Police has been using this to arrest virtually anyone they want.

Seems pretty fitting when you take into consideration the fact that,

Nintendo canceled Nintendo Live 2024 Tokyo, which had been set for Jan 20 and 21 and postponed several contests, including the Japan championship for the popular ink-shooting game Splatoon, initially scheduled for December, as well as this year’s Mario Kart and Splatoon contests.

I really can't stand people like this guy. My kids daycare has had to cancel multiple events because some nutjobs threatened to kidnap kids.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

If it’s real, nintendo must also be mentally unstable.

It’s a matter of risk assessment. In this case it would go beyond corporate or business risk because they’d say to themselves what if the threat would actually materialize and they’d be on the wrong side of due diligence. So the cancellation would be the most prudent option for the company.

3 ( +5 / -2 )

 he posted threats against Nintendo employees and Nintendo events 39 times 

Dork must have been pretty irritated from losing in endless Splatoon tournaments.

Get a life.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Cards fan Apr. 5  02:57 pm JST

I really can't stand people like this guy. My kids daycare has had to cancel multiple events because some nutjobs threatened to kidnap kids.

Sadly we need to take threats like this seriously even if it comes from a moron. People that do this need to be prosecuted as terrorists. It may seem harsh but idiots like this causes “terror” and intimidation to innocent people.

1 ( +1 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites