Fukushima prefectural police said Friday there have been more than 1,200 reported cases of abandoned houses that have been broken into and robbed since the March 11, 2011 disaster.
Police said the thefts were reported by home owners returning for temporary visits to their homes in eight towns in the no-go zone around the wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, NHK reported. The towns include Tomioka, Futaba and Okuma.
This year alone, 90 cases of theft had been reported as of May 31, police said.
Police have made one arrest, a 34-year-old man, who was nabbed after breaking into an apartment in Tomioka. Police said the man, who was arrested on Thursday, stole clothes. Police said they confiscated other stolen items from his home, including around 3,000 items made of precious metals, NHK reported.
The suspect was quoted by police as saying he had robbed more than 100 residences in the area.
Police said they intend to step up patrols in the no-go zone.© Japan Today