crime

Can explodes at Tokyo station; man taken into custody

28 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© KYODO

©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.

28 Comments
Login to comment

Tokyo station

an indefinite article would have made the headline a lot more accurate (but less sensational)..... A Tokyo station....

26 ( +26 / -0 )

I put detergent from work in it to use at home

Stealing detergent from work to be used at home?

7 ( +17 / -10 )

"It wasn't intentional" but he left the can behind... which seems intentional, I doubt he would forget it since he took a risk acquiring the detergent from work. Very suspicious!

19 ( +22 / -3 )

"The explosion was not intentional"

so why did he leave the can in the station? I think the cops will be taking a look at his google search history...

13 ( +14 / -1 )

Likely an accident but still the man will have to assume responsibility. His carelessness had a victim.

-6 ( +5 / -11 )

Cheap skate stealing a coffee can of bleach from his employer.

3 ( +7 / -4 )

"The explosion was not intentional. I put detergent from work in it to use at home," the man was quoted by the police as saying.

This sounds to be an accident. I don't think he intentionally did this.

A security camera near the ticket vending machine showed the man placing what is believed to be a coffee can nearby before purchasing a commuter pass and leaving within a few minutes

Just gonna throw this out there, could it be that he forgot it there like everyone else does with their umbrellas, bags, boxes and other things?

Police have taken into custody a Chinese man in his 40s

Why is his nationality important in this article? You could've just said like ALL national crimes "A man in his 40s".

-2 ( +7 / -9 )

It also depends on if it really was laundry detergent. Because if it contained any Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, oxides of nitrogen there should be a label on it saying it is a HAZARDOUS COMBUSTION PRODUCT.

7 ( +7 / -0 )

Many industrial grade detergents create chlorine gas when in contact with aluminum. It could be an accident or perhaps he noticed the can heating up and panicked.

17 ( +17 / -0 )

I heard it was a foreign national, maybe unhappy with trainee system?

and it justifies sending two women to the hospital with burns?

0 ( +7 / -7 )

I think it was an accident. Industrial-grade detergents are not something I would simply put in an aluminum water bottle to steal and take home. That stuff can burn holes through concrete (literally)...

9 ( +9 / -0 )

Definitely not away to express your discontent. It makes your case worse.

-6 ( +1 / -7 )

It really does sound like a tragic accident. And, while it may not have been intentional, he is still 100% at fault for injuring that poor woman due to his incompetence and negligence.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

Even if unintentional it's what they call 刑事過失 at the very least.

2 ( +4 / -2 )

Even if unintentional it's what they call 刑事過失 at the very least.

Probably not as severe as criminal negligence. In 2012 a part time restaurant worker took home some industrial detergent in an aluminum thermos and caused a hydrogen-chlorine gas explosion in a Chiyoda Line subway, causing facial and hand burns to 16 other passengers.

She was not held on criminal charges.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

It looks intentional. If he was just stealing detergent it wouldn’t be located there.

-5 ( +2 / -7 )

It looks intentional. If he was just stealing detergent it wouldn’t be located there.

Like I mentioned earlier, he may have noticed the can heating up, or crinkling from the pressure build up and panicked.

Panicked people don’t often make the best decisions.

6 ( +7 / -1 )

Even in the improbable case it was true was he tells , then it still shows that the wages are too low as he cannot afford to buy detergent and it shows the despair that they already employ not those ‘skilled’ but totally stupid people from anywhere on the globe who have never attended a school where it is usually taught that chemical reactions can occur when such substances and metals meet. True or untrue, a mess in every case, that’s for sure.

-3 ( +1 / -4 )

I see we have many chemists in this thread. I didnmt know the Internet was full of such amazing people!

-3 ( +3 / -6 )

I see we have many chemists in this thread. I didnmt know the Internet was full of such amazing people!

It doesn't take a degree to know that some cleaning substances can be dangerous and should be never stored outside their dedicated receptacles. With some regularity even TV shows warn people about these kind of things.

4 ( +6 / -2 )

You don't have to be a chemist to understand the dangers of cleaning liquids. Plenty of advice on TV

4 ( +6 / -2 )

I see we have many chemists in this thread. I didnmt know the Internet was full of such amazing people!

You can see it for yourself!

4 ( +4 / -0 )

Probably there is some kind of law about carrying dangerous materials on public transport that he may be charged with. A bottle might have been better, but maybe he just wanted to slip something innocuous-looking past the eyes of people at work. A coffee can with a screw cap?

I subscribe to BeerGuy's theory above that it became unstable, bulging, giving off fumes, or possibly too hot to handle so he simply put it down and quickly left. I am sure he did not mean to hurt anyone, but sadly he did.

3 ( +3 / -0 )

I subscribe to BeerGuy's theory above that it became unstable, bulging, giving off fumes, or possibly too hot to handle so he simply put it down and quickly left. I am sure he did not mean to hurt anyone, but sadly he did.

I say so from experience. When I was a kid, 7 years old, I knocked a reading lamp onto a pillow in my sleep, and woke up to a smoldering lump of charcoal that was formerly the pillow. Thankfully the lamp wasn’t hot enough, or the pillow wasn’t flammable enough to ignite a full on fire.

Anyhow, in a panic, I picked up the smoldering clump of melted polyester and whatnot, and chucked it out the window. Problem solved, I thought, and went back to bed.

The smoking pillow actually landed a bit short of the backyard and rested on the edge of the 1st floor roof, held back by the phone line.

The neighbors saw the smoke and tried to call 911 but because of the odd wiring, the severed connection from our house killed the neighbor's phone as well.

My dad woke up to the neighbors knocking on our door, and quickly doused it with the garden hose. No major damage was done, and I learned a valuable lesson.

1 ( +1 / -0 )

Stealing detergent from work to be used at home?

It is not so unexpected if the man was mainland Chinese and older. Communism under Mao destroyed all sense of individual property. The state can take whatever it wants whenever it wants from anybody so why shouldn't I ?

0 ( +1 / -1 )

It doesn't take a degree to know that some cleaning substances can be dangerous and should be never stored outside their dedicated receptacles. With some regularity even TV shows warn people about these kind of things.

You overestimate human beings, lol. My wife is an electrical engineer and by all accounts a darned good one, but she is also the Queen of the Daisy Chain, plugging light strips into light strips with no thought given to the total amp draw at the wall outlet. When I questioned her she actually said "they wouldn't sell them if they weren't safe". I just shook my head and told her no. I actually had to explain to my Double E wife that there is a maximum load you can put on one of those wall outlets. She knows rocketry but not household circuitry.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites