One of the most enjoyable aspects of rail travel in Japan is the variety of melodies that can be heard at station platforms just before carriage doors close and trains make their departures. While some of Tokyo’s most iconic train jingles can be heard at stations on the Yamanote loop line, with Ebisu’s "The Third Man" and Takadanobaba’s "Astro Boy" theme, other train lines have been offering up limited edition specials recently, like Tokyu Toyoko Line’s "Dragon Quest" theme.
Now, Tokyu Dentetsu, one of the country’s major private railway operators, is following up with another treat for their commuters, with new departure melodies being played at six of their main train stations.
The new jingles are being provided by Walt Disney Japan as part of their collaboration on the “Tokyu Christmas Wonderland 2016-Disney Crystal Magic-” promotion, which includes festive installations at Tokyu Plaza Stores and special character wraps for Tokyu trains and buses. And for those who prefer the less cutesy-side of Disney, there are Marvel-themed trains and "Star Wars" jingles as well.
While the eye-catching visuals have been making news on social media, it’s the unusual train melodies that are grabbing everyone’s attention, with commuters eager to share their audio discoveries online. This video below collates all 12 new jingles into one neat collection, including images of the train stations at which the tunes can be heard.
If you’d like to hear the new jingles in person, this is where they can be found:
- “Mickey Mouse March” – Shibuya Station, Toyoko Line Southbound
- “Heigh-Ho” – Jiyugaoka Station, Toyoko Line Northbound
- “When You Wish Upon a Star” – Jiyugaoka Station, Toyoko Line Southbound
- “Star Wars” – Jiyugaoka Station, Oimachi Line Northbound
- “The Imperial March” (Darth Vader’s theme) – Jiyugaoka Station, Oimachi Line Southbound
- “Under the Sea” – Oimachi Station, Oimachi Line Southbound
- “A Whole New World” – Musashikosugi Station, Toyoko Line Northbound
- “Friend Like Me” – Musashikosugi Station, Toyoko Line Southbound
- “Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo” – Futakotamagawa Station, Denentoshi Line Northbound
- “A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes” – Futakotamagawa Station, Denentoshi Line Southbound
- “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” – Tama Plaza Station, Denentoshi Line Northbound
- “Monsters, Inc.” – Tama Plaza Station, Denentoshi Line Southbound
The melodies will be played until the last train departs each station on the night of 25 December. Personally, we’ll be stopping off at Jiyugaoka for the awesome sounds of “Star Wars” and “The Imperial March”.
With trains departing every few minutes, a short sojourn on the platform means we’ll get to enjoy the short but dramatic jingles over and over again… perhaps with our newly-acquired "Star Wars" Ukiyo-e prints in hand.
Source: Jiyugaoka Keizai Shimbun
Read more stories from RocketNews24. -- Tokyo’s Shibuya Station now sending trains on their way by playing the Dragon Quest theme 【Video】 -- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon is coming to Shibuya to become Pretty Soldier Sailor Shopper -- Tokyo Station lists departing train’s destination as…New York?!© Japan Today