entertainment

'Transformers' tries for delicate U.S.-China balance

15 Comments
By LOUISE WATT

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

©2019 GPlusMedia Inc.

15 Comments
Login to comment

In other words, the main focus is trying to broaden its market rather than trying to make a movie worth watching.

7 ( +8 / -1 )

What's funny is that cam versions with Chinese hard subs are out before anything else.

-1 ( +4 / -5 )

The bulk of pirated Hollywood movies originate from good ol' USA. Usually from the DVD copies handed out to reviewers and critics.

5 ( +5 / -0 )

In other words, the main focus is trying to broaden its market rather than trying to make a movie worth watching.

Having just watched the Hollywood version of "The 47 Ronin" out of morbid curiosity, I'd say that is quite likely. (The only theory I can propose is that the actor's salaries cost 99% of the budget, the remaining 1% was spent the writers, matte artists and wardrobe. Wonder if any of the actors tried to back out once things started, I would not be surprised. I don't know whether to be sad that such a good story was butchered, or admire their courage in actually making it available to the public)

-2 ( +1 / -3 )

zichiJun. 27, 2014 - 11:24AM JST The bulk of pirated Hollywood movies originate from good ol' USA. Usually from the DVD copies handed out to >reviewers and critics.

Guess that's how so much Chinese hard subs get embedded. I find more such subtitled copies than screeners.

0 ( +3 / -3 )

Guess that's how so much Chinese hard subs get embedded. I find more such subtitled copies than screeners.

why would you even be looking unless you are Chinese? Are you Chinese? The majority of pirated movies along with porn starts its life in America.

If families with children can visit their local cinema at affordable prices and with a high standard of comfort and luxury then people will continue to use them.

0 ( +2 / -2 )

zichiJun. 27, 2014 - 08:14PM JST "Guess that's how so much Chinese hard subs get embedded. I find more such subtitled copies than screeners. why would you even be looking unless you are Chinese? Are you Chinese? The majority of pirated movies along with >porn starts its life in America.

Looking? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. And I yield any knowledge about porn, which has nothing to do with mainstream Hollywood movies, to your expertise.

2 ( +5 / -3 )

I feel no sympathy for jerk-wad entertainment companies that bring their productions to free-speech-hostile China. Don't let our entertainment be ruined by selling out to those people!

2 ( +2 / -0 )

I wonder if they have realized that Transformers is originally a half Japanese franchise...

In another product placement, Stanley Tucci’s character takes a break on a roof and drinks from a carton of >Chinese milk

And he didn't get sick?

1 ( +1 / -0 )

It was a disappointing movie. the love story was dumb, there are a lot of loopholes in the action scenes. I.e when Optimus got stabbed during his fight with the bounty hunter, then it suddenly got repaired when he started flying in outer space. lol.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

The pandering and kow towing to China is pathetic.

Many studios are concerned about offending China over the tiniest of things.

Like last years "World War Z."

The script was changed so that the origin of the 'infection' was traced to Korea instead of China as in the novel, so as not to offend Chinese.

Give me a break!

0 ( +1 / -1 )

The Bridget Jones film in the English contained the line "The Japanese, such a cruel race."

This was rendered into Japanese subtitles as " ." Not a word.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Chinese milk? Yuk!!

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

It will not be much longer before American movie companies will be making pro-Communist films for the Chinese market.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

It will not be much longer before American movie companies will be making pro-Communist films for the Chinese market.

Why would they do that? China isn't communist.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites