health

Top scientists question the need for COVID-19 booster shots

8 Comments
By Julie Steenhuysen and Kate Kelland

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Thomson Reuters 2021.

©2021 GPlusMedia Inc.

8 Comments
Login to comment

Some of these scientists expressed concern that public expectations around COVID-19 boosters are being set by pharmaceutical executives rather than health specialists, although many agreed that preparing for such a need as a precaution was prudent.

And antibodies - which block the coronavirus from attaching to human cells - do not tell the whole story. Several studies suggest that T cells - a type of white blood cell that can target and destroy already infected cells - may help prevent severe COVID-19 and hospitalization.

These are the main points, up until now the evidence points out to vaccines being protective very likely for a long time, and speaking of the need of boosters is not justified, maybe in the future it could be the case (and preparation should be done for this) but at least for now there seems to be no need.

1 ( +5 / -4 )

Maybe even one of the ones that are supposed to be given as two doses seems to be enough most of the time. Proper independent analysis is needed to avoid shelling out for an overhyped and overpriced product

0 ( +3 / -3 )

Big Pharma = $$$$$$$$$$$$. They don't care about scientifica data. MONEY and GREED.

3 ( +5 / -2 )

Pfizer Inc Chief Executive Albert Bourla vs. Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hard to say which of the two to believe less, frankly...they both have an agenda, and if the second guy turns out somewhere down the road to have been wrong, as the CDC is known for...

1 ( +3 / -2 )

Hard to say which of the two to believe less

Stop trying to think is the people the one that you have to trust, at the end of the day the only important one is the scientific data, it does not matter who is saying it, if the evidence points out to long lasting protection then that is what is much more likely to be true.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

I'm in no rush for the vaccination - never had a flu jab either, come to mention it, never had the flu. I guess we all need to make our own decisions and live by them.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

Isn’t that simple math and logic? If the theory is, that a vaccination is needed, and this vaccination works only in 54% (Chinese vaccines) up to 95% (?) (Pfizer) , then you need of course booster vaccinations. Not only for all cases where the immune response is decreasing over time, no, just for the rest of 5% to 46% to be really vaccinated for the first time, because the initial vaccination didn’t work at all and was therefore equal a non-vaccination. Ask your kindergarten children, if they would agree. If the kid’s group consists of 20 boys and girls and the nanny brings a big cake with 12 pieces so that 8 kids don’t have cake on the plate, then they will probably suggest that the nanny brings in a second cake, so that all children can eat some. Yes , ask those pre-schoolers in all those doubts. They have much more effectively working brain than all of you combined. That’s obvious, isn’t it? lol

-3 ( +0 / -3 )

Isn’t that simple math and logic? If the theory is, that a vaccination is needed, and this vaccination works only in 54% (Chinese vaccines) up to 95% (?) (Pfizer) , then you need of course booster vaccinations. Not only for all cases where the immune response is decreasing over time, no, just for the rest of 5% to 46% to be really vaccinated for the first time, 

No, that is not how immunity works, this is like pretending to have a pregnancy finish in a month by dividing the task between 9 women. In biology just increasing something do not mean it will automatically have a bigger or better effect.

It may be surprising to you, but actual world class experts do know more than kindergarten children (and people that share their capacity)

0 ( +2 / -2 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites