During the year-end period, various websites conducted all sorts of surveys on topics ranging from annoying habits of train commuters, to relationships, to the top trends for 2011. Here are some of the results.
Most annoying behavior by fellow commuters
- Sitting with legs crossed or spread out on a packed train (“Maybe you don’t realize what you’re doing, but nobody can stand in front of you like that!”)
- Rushing on to the train when I’m trying to get off (“I know you want to snag a seat, but there won’t be any seats if you don’t let people get off.”)
- Cranking up the volume so I can hear your headphones (“If you feel like people around are staring at you, it’s probably because your music’s blaring away!”)
- Dozing off with your head on my shoulder (“We’re all exhausted, but that’s what the glass behind your head is for.”)
- Blocking the door without any intention of moving aside (“The spot right by the door is popular, but when we all go after it, the middle of the car is completely empty.”)
- Doing your makeup from start to finish on the train (“If you think nobody’s paying attention, you’re dead wrong.”)
- Searching for your commuter pass right in front of the ticket gate (“If you’ve lost it, please move off to the side.”)
- Couples: too much public display of affection (“You think this is your room or something?”)
- Bringing a child on to the train during rush hour and shouting, “Don’t push him!” (“I know you’re worried about your kid, but even if you yell at me, I can’t do anything about it.”)
Survey of users of Pouch (http://youpouch.com)
What will be the top trends of 2011?
- Tokyo Sky Tree; 2. LED bulbs; 3. Electric vehicles; 4. Haneda Airport’s new international terminal; 5. Smartphones; 6. 3D; 7. Hybrid cars; 8. E-books; 9. Discount airfares; 10. Tablet PCs
Source: Dentsu Hit Products Report 2010 (www.dentsu.co.jp)
Guys, what’s your type?
- Natural, subtle makeup (62%)
- Slender body (44%)
- Bangs, either straight or swept to the side (41%)
- Shiny, brown hair (40%)
- Cooks Japanese food (38%)
- Long hair (36%)
- Straight hair that hangs loose (31%)
- Pink underwear (28%)
- Low-heeled shoes, about 3cm (26%)
- Polish-free nails (26%)
Survey of male readers of Zexy.net
Do that in front of my crush? No way!
- Blow my nose
- “There’s nothing in particular I’d be reluctant to do”
- Go to the bathroom
- Check email
- Keep quiet when I’m hungry
- Talk about work
- Buy things
Survey by NTT Docomo, Minna no Koe
Relationships that women would like to throw out with the trash
- Siblings, husband
Survey of women age 20-30 by Nikkei Business
So you missed the last train—what now?
- Catch a cab home
- Go to an internet/manga cafe
- Crash at a friend’s house
- Chill out in a family restaurant
- Rent a karaoke room
- Go to a fast food joint
- Head to an izakaya
- Kill time at a conbini
- Hit a bar
- Go clubbing
Survey by NTT Docomo, Minna no Koe
Moments that make girls think, “Wow, I’m no spring chicken!”
- I don’t know any of the newly released songs at karaoke.
- I don’t know names/faces of any up-and-coming celebs.
- I can’t remember how many members are in a Johnny’s boy band.
- All the popular idols and celebs are younger than me.
- I don’t know any of the popular cartoon characters.
- I can’t figure out how to work the "purikura" machine.
- I’m hesitant about wearing an above-the-knee skirt.
- My feet immediately start to hurt wearing heels higher than 10cm.
- I use emoticons, but I don’t get the new “deco” emoji.
- I can’t keep track of the names and faces of popular "dokusha" models.
Survey of 731 women by Goo Ranking (http://ranking.goo.ne.jp)
Top 10 places you’d never go to alone
- Amusement park
- I can’t go anywhere alone.
- Karaoke box
- I have no problem going anywhere alone.
- Family restaurant
- Fast food restaurant
Survey of NTT Docomo mobile users© Metropolis magazine (www.metropolis.co.jp)