A 10-year-old girl choked to death on a frankfurter during lunch while on a school field trip in Shikokuchuo, Ehime Prefecture.
According to school officials, the incident occurred at around 12:30 p.m. Thursday during a field trip by students of Kawanoe elementary school, Fuji TV reported.
The girl was eating a frankfurter which got stuck in her throat. A teacher applied emergency measures and dislodged the frankfurter but the girl lost consciousness and fell into a state of cardiopulmonary arrest. She was taken to hospital where she died about 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
The school said the frankfurters that the children had for lunch for about 9 cms long and 2.5 cms in diameter.
The girl was one of 86 students and 11 staff on a three-day field trip at a nature facility that began on Aug 17.© Japan Today