Fourteen people were taken to hospital after being sickened by carbon monoxide at a restaurant in Seto, Aichi Prefecture, police said Sunday.
According to police, the incident occurred at around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday. Staff called 119 and reported that four guests were feeling sick and were unable to walk, Fuji TV reported.
By the time an ambulance arrived, 12 guests and two staff were ailing, police said. Five were hospitalized overnight while nine were treated and allowed to return home late Saturday, police said.
According to firefighters, the kitchen staff were preparing food using a charcoal fire at the time and the restaurant's windows were all closed.© Japan Today