Japan Today

14 suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning at indoor barbecue


Police said Sunday that 14 people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at an indoor barbecue in Higashi-agatsuma, Gunma Prefecture.

Emergency services arrived at the scene on Saturday afternoon to find that a group of 31 people, consisting of families whose children went to the same nursery school, had rented a holiday home and were attempting to hold a barbecue, TBS reported. Finding the weather too cold, the group said they moved several charcoal burners inside, following which 10 children and four adults began vomiting and were taken to hospital.

According to doctors, the symptoms were consistent with those caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. The group's symptoms were not serious and all were later discharged, a hospital spokesperson said Sunday.

© Japan Today

©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.

Login to comment

I am sorry to hear about this.

I am much more sorry to see so many crude and insensitive comments to this thread.

Though I appreciate hearing this news and am very glad no one was seriously injured i would encourage people to be kinder and more considerate in their posts.

-3 ( +1 / -4 )

"Samuiiiiiiii~ naka ni hairou!"

I can just imagine it now - and it probably wasn't even that cold...

2 ( +3 / -1 )

"indoor" and "barbecue" does NOT go together people !!

2 ( +3 / -1 )

Hahahahah !!!!! 2 indivduals couldn't cook and serve the people inside ???? ((Sing along with me boys and girls)) Sttttttuuuuuuppppiiiidddddd

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

And this years Darwin award goes too......

Poor kids, exposed to such a dangerous situation because the adults were morons.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

"Common Sense 101" needs to be taught in schools in Japan.

4 ( +5 / -1 )

So what kind of idiot had the brilliant idea to have an indoors barbecue?

I see a nomination for a Darwin award.

1 ( +3 / -2 )

Hahahaha! Idiots. Too cold! Haha!

-4 ( +1 / -5 )

wow Darwin Award for sure! They just killed off what brain cells they had left. Hope the kids are ok!

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

The adults get the Darwin Award, and those who survived…

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

Poor kids. Hopefully they will grow up to be smarter than their parents!

3 ( +3 / -0 )

When your are too cold, you can not think rationally and here we go, luckily no one died!

3 ( +3 / -0 )

A group Darwin award is in order here.

There were a group of children in there, it's not their fault.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

Have to agree with JGal and smith on this one. Even a child knows you can commit suicide with a grill, they show it in Detective Conan all the time.

Sad thing is that this won't get the air time it needs on TV, and we'll see plenty more of this in winter.

-1 ( +4 / -5 )

Clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic, this lot.

10 ( +11 / -1 )

I'm with JapanGal on this one -- I cannot believe the stupidity of these people. It sounds more like it was a group suicide ritual than a BBQ party. Whoever came up with this idea needs to be taken away from children at the very least.

2 ( +5 / -3 )

you've got to be kiddin me. unreal.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

A group Darwin award is in order here.

16 ( +18 / -2 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites