A 16-year-old boy died after inhaling butane gas used in a lighter while in a park with friends in Ashikaga, Tochigi Prefecture, police said Sunday.
According to police, the incident occurred at around 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Fuji TV reported that the boy was at the park in Asakuramachi with four friends when he collapsed after inhaling the gas. One of his his friends called 119 and the boy was taken to hospital where he died about midnight.
Police said the boy had inhaled the gas from a plastic bag and that the group had brought several lighters with them to the park. One of the boys was quoted by police as saying they had inhaled gas from lighters before for kicks.© Japan Today