national

2 young brothers perish in house fire

26 Comments

Two young brothers aged 5 and 1 died in a residential fire early Wednesday morning in Fujidera, Osaka Prefecture, police and firefighters said. Three other family members suffered light injuries, police said,

According to police, emergency services received a call at about 12:30 a.m. reporting a fire at the 200-sq-meter residence, TV Asahi reported. It took firefighters about 90 minutes to put out the fire. Much of the two-story wooden home was destroyed, police said.

The two dead children were identified as Teppei Yamane, 5, and his younger brother Ryuhei, police said. The two boys lived with their 7-year-old sister, their mother and grandfather, police said.

Firefighters said the fire appears to have started in the first floor kitchen, TV Asahi reported.

© Japan Today

©2021 GPlusMedia Inc.

26 Comments
Login to comment

How in the heck did other members get out alright but the 2 youngest children perished?

1 ( +1 / -0 )

the first thing to do would be to get the kids. Were they on the same floor? Sadness in the world.

4 ( +4 / -0 )

The kids were upstairs, i presume... and had no emergency exit, while the stairs were already burning.

Here in California there was an incident a few years ago where a guy managed to get out of his apartment during a fire, but then decided to come back and get his family photos. A minute or so later, there was no way for him to get out again, as the fire had spread all over. He tried to wait on the balcony, but 15 minutes later he caught fire and jumped off the 18th floor, before rescuers could get to him.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

As a father I can tell you that I would attempt to get my kids out, even if it killed me. RIP little ones.

3 ( +7 / -4 )

Buggerlugs, as a mother, I'd do the same.

Poor kids :(

1 ( +2 / -1 )

I can only imagine the mother and grandfather were unable to access wherever the boys were, their way blocked by fire. RIP little boys.

4 ( +4 / -0 )

RIP little guys!

2 ( +2 / -0 )

Smoke alarms? Every house should have them, what is a life worth?

2 ( +3 / -1 )

That's the problem with fire, buggerlugs. It's easy to tell the people who've never experienced a major one before because they always say what you just said, as if fire gives you the option to save anything. At a certain point, attempting to get your kids out WILL kill you, no questions asked.

7 ( +7 / -0 )

Yowza... not a good day for Fujiidera in Osaka. RIP to the little boys. If it started on the kitchen floor it could have been from cooking, or grandpa dropped a smoke and forgot about it. Or just wiring. Either way, two little lost souls -- I hope they at least had smoke alarms.

1 ( +1 / -0 )

Too bad the mother who was also on the second floor with the kids couldn't save them.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/ann?a=20120620-00000019-ann-soci

1 ( +1 / -0 )

I can't even imagine being too far away from my own one year old to save them from a fire. If I was sleeping either they would be right next to me or their mother. If I was awake I would be close or their mother would.

At a certain point, attempting to get your kids out WILL kill you, no questions asked.

What did buggerlugs say again?

even if it killed me.

That is a hint that buggerlugs did know the risks before you actually said anything.

-3 ( +0 / -3 )

Very sad story. Horrible way to die. May the two boys be in a better place than we are.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

If it started on the kitchen floor it could have been from cooking, or grandpa dropped a smoke and forgot about it.

My money is on the "cooking" theory. A cooking flame is a lot hotter than the lit end of a cigarette. A towel could've been left next to the stove. Or could have been a grease fire. Or a microwave connected to some faulty wiring, or hell even a napkin with greasy food that was being microwaved for way too long, that grandpa could have forgotten... maybe grandpa was cooking.

Wooden cabinets a few inches away from a gas flame, is never safe....

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

Horrible, truly horrible. RIP little guys.

Jonathan Hunt - I think Buggerlugs was simply speaking as a parent. I have never (thank God) experienced a major fire but I would still say the same thing, irrational as it may be.

3 ( +3 / -0 )

According to ANN the mother jumped from the first floor (second floor for the Americans out there) and broke her foot, while the grandfather and daughter suffered minor injuries. I can only think the whole family was asleep when it started, as the alarm was raised as 12:30am.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

I can only think the whole family was asleep when it started, as the alarm was raised as 12:30am.

That doesn't sound like a cigarette fire to me, if it happened in the kitchen while everyone was asleep upstairs. A cigarette only lasts 5 minutes or so, i know because i smoke.

I hope the boys didn't burn alive, because smoke inhalation is a less horrifying way to die. Smoke from plastic and synthetic things like rugs can be pretty toxic, with loads of carbon monoxide...

2 ( +2 / -0 )

So sad!! I hope this had nothing to do with the typhoon. So this family has no father?? Anyway, RIP little boys.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

I survived two really bad indusrial fires, thought the last one was going to do me in. I had to crawl out on my belly in thick black plastic smoke. Makes me very careful at home with fire and I have smoke detectors. Japanese buildings can go up in flames very quickly and because they are often so close it spreads. A couple of years ago, near here, a house caught fire, and within less than 30 minutes five were burning. I watched one house just sort of melt until it exploded with the heat.

200 sq m is a very large house/apartment?

5 ( +6 / -1 )

This is so sad... RIP boys

1 ( +1 / -0 )

very sad

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Sooo horrible a loss for a $50.00 smoke detector. When is Japan going to legislate installation of such a simple life saving device? It sets off a super annoying screech long before there is enough fire to thwart rescuing family members....or even getting the fire put out in time.

1 ( +1 / -0 )

That is so sad!

1 ( +1 / -0 )

This is such a sad story. A simple smoke detector could have saved lives. Apparently there's no father in this story which leads to speculation. If I were her, I wouldn't have let those boys die in that fire. The parents are supposed to be protectors willing to shield their child from anything.

It's just my initial impression but she seems like a coward for not saving her boys. I could be wrong though. I wasn't there.

-2 ( +0 / -2 )

From last year, smoke detectors have been required by law in private houses. As there are no penalties even if you don't have one, I don't think people seriously think of the need. It needs to be enforced, to save children like these 2 angels from these terrible accidents.

1 ( +1 / -0 )

I guess regulation isn't the key...education is. If they want the country to do something they just need to tell them the correct way and everyone will follow. I find self education or common sense just doesn't happen in Japan in so many ways.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites