Over 250 people were treated for food poisoning on Sept 30 after eating bento lunches provided by a Koshigaya-based caterer, Saitama health officials said Monday.
The Kumagaya Health Center, which treated the group, has classified the incident a mass outbreak of food poisoning. The boxed lunches, provided by small catering business Nakabayashi, were prepared for a sports day in Koshigaya which was cancelled due to a typhoon, TBS reported Tuesday. According to police, the neighborhood association distributed the lunches to around 600 people, almost half of whom were later taken ill.
According to doctors, 253 people aged between 3 and 89 were admitted after suffering from symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. One woman, aged 89, who suffered from food poisoning died the following day from heart failure. However, doctors say it is unlikely the food poisoning caused her death, TBS reported.
Nakabayashi was banned from trading for three days from Monday as punishment for the incident.© Japan Today