national

3 perish in house fire in Tokyo's Setagaya ward

6 Comments

Three people died in a house fire in Setagaya Ward in Tokyo early Friday morning.

According to police, the fire started just before 6 a.m. in a two-story wooden house in the Miyasaka area of Setagaya, TV Asahi reported. A local resident reported black smoke coming from a house. By the time firefighters arrived, the blaze had spread to two neighboring houses. It took firefighters about an hour to extinguish the fire.

Police said the three victims were in the house where the fire started and believe they are a couple in their 80s and their daughter who was in her 40s, TV Asahi reported. Their names have not yet been released.

Nobody was injured in the other houses, police said.

© Japan Today

©2021 GPlusMedia Inc.

6 Comments
Login to comment

Very sad news. I hope they went without knowing or feeling any pain...

1 ( +1 / -0 )

A terrible waste of human life.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

So many homes in Japan are wood frame and there is no legal requirement to have a smoke detector (alarm) like we have in Canada. I think this has been law here for 20 years now. Come on Japan catch up with some simple tech. Such a needless waste of life for a unit that costs less than $100.00!

0 ( +0 / -0 )

madme

So many homes in Japan are wood frame and there is no legal requirement to have a smoke detector (alarm) like we have in Canada

Since last year a new law states rented accommodation must have smoke detectors, the owner of the house gave me a whole box of them. I don't know how it applies to people owning homes?

0 ( +0 / -0 )

I am unsure if it does or not, but it should. burning to death is possibly one of the worst ways to go especially if you were conscious when you were burning.. the pain is excruciating. It hurt like something fierce when i got a 2nd degree burn on my hand i can only imagine how much it hurts to be competely engulfed in fire..

R.I.P poor family, may your death have been swift and painless

0 ( +0 / -0 )

A box of "them" could go straight in the garbage...that is why it is a requirement in any residence here to have one per so many square feet, mounted permanently on the ceiling usually at the top of a stair case. I personally know of three families that got out of their homes safely before the fire destroyed most of the home. I am going to bring one for my in-laws to put in their house when I come to Japan again....this stuff always scares the crap out of me when I hear about it.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites