national

32 students suffer food poisoning at Gion hotel in Kyoto

8 Comments

A group of 32 high school children staying in a traditional Japanese inn in Kyoto's famous Gion area were rushed to hospital on Friday after an outbreak of food poisoning.

Police said that the students were staying at Karaku, a traditional Japanese-style inn in the heart of Kyoto's geisha district. The first year high school students from Iwate Prefecture began vomiting and complaining of stomach pain at about 3 a.m., NTV reported. At the time the children were taken to hospital, three of them were unable to walk, authorities said.

The students had been staying at the inn since Wednesday and had their breakfast and dinner there. The inn was reportedly already under investigation by Kyoto city authorities due to reports of stomach pain from a different group of 11 school children who stayed at the inn on Dec 2.

© Japan Today

©2020 GPlusMedia Inc.

8 Comments
Login to comment

Been a lot of this lately. Perhaps health and safety inspectors should up their game and close places that aren't up to the level they need to be?

Poor kids. Food poisoning is horrible.

2 ( +5 / -3 )

How come the hotel was still operational after first incidents without proper clearance by the health authorities?

2 ( +2 / -0 )

Probably raw eggs or not properly washed food. Sounds like they need to state this hotel's name (Karaku, as stated above) in all the papers and TV programs so the next hotel that even thinks about not having safety first will know the consequences.

1 ( +3 / -2 )

There are no Health and Safety Inspectors in Japan. No one visits restaurants to check on cleanliness, food temperature or proper storage, ever. Such an institution doesn't even exist. As long as you have a hand washing sink installed in your kitchen ( which doesn't even need a hot water tap, btw) and the fire inspector can verify it, you're good to go. Really.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

this place (Karaku, Kyoto) has very good ratings. http://www.jalan.net/en/japan_hotels_ryokan/Ryokan/Kyoto_Ryokan/Gion_Higashiyama_Around_KitaShirakawa_Ryokan/Gion_Higashiyama_Ryokan/gion_ryokan_karaku

=costly mistakes in food can be made and excused -but fix them.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

I am sorry to hear about this. I am sure they will fix the problems as soon as they can. Let us be charitable and kind and hope for improvement. I hope the children are better by now.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

I know that Japanese people are fond of believing that their service industries have high hygiene and food safety standards, and maybe they do when compared with some developing nations, but it seems that not a month goes by in this country without a report of some kind of mass poisoning incident. It really does seem to happen a lot. And by the way, if my friends' anecdotes are anything to go by, there are quite a few unreported cases in which hush money is paid by the restaurant owner.

-2 ( +0 / -2 )

I agree with bassroll that the name of the inn (Kalacun) was revealed to isolate it from the other inns which need the school and holiday trade to survive. But I doubt the food poisoning was from chicken eggs or unwashed produce. It occurs more commonly with improperly stored or out-of-date food. I blame global warming, which allowed the inn to assume food stored unrefrigerated was as safely cooled as previous years. Let the haters hate.

-8 ( +1 / -9 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites