Health officials in Hachioji, Tokyo, said Monday that a group of school students suffered food poisoning after eating clam chowder.
According to officials, the incident occurred on Dec 1. TV Asahi reported that 34 students at a high school and junior high school began complaining of food poisoning-like symptoms after eating clam chowder for lunch.
The schools said they had obtained the clam chowder from a bento-making facility in Tachikawa. Samples taken from the suspected source tested positive for a common food borne bacteria known as clostridium perfringens.
The chowder had been cooked in pots and pans that had been used the previous day for stews and curries. Health officials said that because they were not properly cleaned, when the chowder was being prepared, the bacteria multiplied.© Japan Today