Four patients died and at least 101 other patients and staff at a hospital in Kyoto were stricken by a suspected norovirus outbreak in December, officials said Wednesday.
Officials at Soseikai General Hospital in Fushimi Ward told a news conference that the outbreak is believed to have begun on Dec 5 but that the hospital did not become aware of it until around Dec 14, TBS reported.
The four patients who died were aged between 83 and 92, and were all on the 7th floor ward. The hospital said they died of pneumonia or gastroenteritis.
TBS reported that 67 inpatients and 34 staff had suffered vomiting and diarrhea and that the norovirus had been detected in eight of them.
The hospital director told the news conference that the hospital has not yet been able to positively determine the infection route, TBS reported.© Japan Today