national

Police probe cause of blast at fireworks show in Kyoto town

19 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© 2013 AFP

©2022 GPlusMedia Inc.

19 Comments
Login to comment

People come looking forward to the annual fireworks and having such an accident occur is really sad. Hope everyone recovers quickly.

3 ( +5 / -2 )

It's really hard for a propane tank to explode by itself. This is probably the result of a plastic gasoline container going up first then burning through propane hoses and regulators after that. There are too many portable generators at these events all with their own little 18 liter plastic bottle of gasoline nearby.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

The video footage of it looks horrible Hope everyone recovers soon.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

Really sad to hear so many injured. It doesnt surprise me that an accident occurred with a food stand: nasty, unhygienic overpriced , they seem to operate without any standards and frequently by dodgy people. If incompetence by the vendor is found I hope they get crucified. The video also reminded how shockingly littered with garbage these events get.

-4 ( +6 / -10 )

Propane cylinders dont just exploded, what was the catyalyst, stupidity, imcompetence, carelessness?

Can we get more info on the cause or circumstances please.

Hope those injured recover.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

Hope everyone recovers quickly!

1 ( +1 / -0 )

I've always been cautious about the safety standards of these vendors at summer festivals. I know there is nobody checking them to see if they are running safely. It's virtually impossible for a gas cylinder to explode. It has to be exposed to a very high temperature for a long time before it will pop and even then, it is usually only the valve that pops off and makes them a missile. From what I saw on the news this fire was caused by a gasoline explosion that sprayed burning gas over a large area. Hopefully, this incident will force authorities and organizers to put some stringent safety regulations into place.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

It sounds like the street vendors generator had possibly run out of petrol, and it sounds like that he opened his jerry can to fill it up, what people don't think about is that petrol is highly explosive! Then they go and pore or spill it over a hot engine when filling up, it’s a recipe for a disaster! you can buy a gadget called an auto fill this gadget when used on a petrol can, it does not leak when tipped upside down it will only let petrol through when the nozzle is depressed, and shuts off when the petrol tank is full, they are a lot safer and you don't waste the petrol. Buy one !! We use them every day in our business (tree surgery) I hope the street vendor was well insured; I hope the people get better soon as burns are very painful.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

This always terrified me about some of these street stands. You see the gas cans and the generators not very far from hot cooking areas and often..you see the man running the stall smoking a cigarette while cooking or standing near the generator..one of my friends was actually burned by one of these guys taking a break waiting for customers he smoked a cigarette in a chair next to his generator and grill swung his arm out into the crowd and burned her right on the arm. Someone needs to enforce safety checks on these stalls. Make sure things are running correctly and safely.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

It's not required, apparently, for temporary business licenses covering these one-day or one-time events, but there is a variety of liability insurance available even to cover individual stalls for a one-day event. As noted, though, checks are relatively weak--they mostly focus on making sure the proper paperwork was filed by the event organizer with the local local health department (and sometimes the fire and police departments, if large crowds and/or fireworks are involved). The organizer is supposed to be responsible for checking that all the vendors are doing things on the up-and-up, but you know how that goes.

An unfortunate and unnecessary accident!

1 ( +1 / -0 )

alots of bad things happend when it comes of summer.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

Bit OTT to call in the crime investigation squad, when this is obviously just a result of lack of due care and attention.

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

Tonight's news showed the fire service checking out all the venders and their generator set ups. A shame they didn't do it before the explosion, hey?

1 ( +2 / -1 )

Always felt those food stalls were dodgy

0 ( +1 / -1 )

bookowls Bit OTT to call in the crime investigation squad, when this is obviously just a result of lack of due care and attention.

When so many people are injured (some very seriously by the sounds of it) that lack of care and attention becomes criminal, so definitely something that needs to be investigated as such.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

This is the next city to where i live, we had choice to go there or to where we live, we made the right choice

It is a terrible shame but these things happen sometimes.

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

It doesnt surprise me that an accident occurred with a food stand: nasty, unhygienic overpriced , they seem to operate without any standards and frequently by dodgy people.

I agree with you, and I never buy anything from those vendors. It sounds like a terrible thing to say, but "carnies" is how I think of them. This really was an accident waiting to happen. I do hope that standards are tightened up as a result.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

2nd death has been announced a 10hr old boy.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites