national

60% of spent nuclear fuel in Japan to be stored in metal casks

13 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© KYODO

©2019 GPlusMedia Inc.

13 Comments
Login to comment

The total cooling capacity at the nuclear power plants is about 20,000 tons of spent fuel. The fuel was also suppose to go to the Rokkasho nuclear processing plant, their storage capacity is also filling up. There are about 8 tons of plutonium at Rokkasho.

TEPCO has always used dry casks at its nuclear plants. At the nuclear disaster site there is a storehouse on the door near the No5&6 reactors which stores the dry casks. They survived both the earthquake and tsunami.

The spent fuel spends several years in the reactor cooling pool. Then its moved to the common cooling pool. From there its placed in the dry casks and moved to the storage.

https://www7.tepco.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/hd03-02-04-001-001-07-handouts_130321_01-e.pdf

Storing the spent nuclear fuel in dry casks is a better idea than just leaving the fuel in open cooling pools. Many countries including America use dry cask storage.

The problem is the long term storage of nuclear fuel and the massive amount of waste from the nuclear disaster site and also decommissioning about 20 reactors across the country.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

@MrKipling

The causes of any type of cancer can never be adequately proven.

Thus to state that x number of people have died as a result of Fukushima is meaningless.

What has been done observed and proven is the number of genetic mutations seen in wildlife, in and around Fukushima...

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Metal? Oh how very reassuring! Steel, copper, tin, lead, aluminum, nickel, zinc, titanium, brass, bronze, some alloy I never heard of? No, don't tell me. I have complete faith TEPCO chose the right "metal" just like they chose the right height of the retaining wall to ward off tsunami. (retch)

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

What is the current total death toll from the Fukushima nuclear disaster?

One.... Yes ONE!

Nuclear power is safe. Building the plants in earthquake zones maybe not so.

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

How do they cool the metal? Spent fuel still heats up.

3 to 4 years after being removed from the reactor the fuel makes so little heat that active cooling with water isn't needed. There are thousands of these casks with spent fuel all over the world and none has ever had a problem with heat build-up.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

This is a very serious issue. All countries need to move away from nuclear power generation.

Some countries already proved that but for Japan they already invest lot with this kind of particular energy source. Also relation between govt and these companies make things complicated.

So I won't expect this will happen soon enough.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

So 60% May/might be stored in a semi-medium term manner. Leaving 40% being stored in a haphazard manner. While more spent rods are to be expected. Seems those in charge hadn't quite thought this through. No Suprise there.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

Nuclear power is basically a great cash cow for the state as no one can accurately assess the costs except for the government and their affiliates...so expect more nuclear power rather than green alternatives

0 ( +2 / -2 )

Among them, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc., whose Fukushima Daini complex holds 1,650 tons of spent nuclear fuel, has decided to build a new storage facility within its premises, 

Let's hope this housing is strong enough to withstand a large tsunami and it has a waterproof electrical system. Dai-ni is only a couple of kilometers away from Dai-ichi and looks exactly the same.

Please tell me again how nuclear power is safe and cheap.

5 ( +6 / -1 )

Over 60 percent of some 15,200 tons of spent nuclear fuel in Japan could be stored in metal casks

It beats a plastic bag!

1 ( +2 / -1 )

How do they cool the metal? Spent fuel still heats up.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

This would solve the problem now, but would dump the problem on the next generation. Passing the buck.

6 ( +7 / -1 )

This is a very serious issue. All countries need to move away from nuclear power generation.

6 ( +7 / -1 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites