Attendees at two parties which took place at the Hotel New Otani Tokyo have been struck down by food poisoning, the hotel confirmed on Saturday.
As of Friday, 68 guests out of a total of 209 have complained of feeling ill after dining at the hotel on April 7. Doctors said that 59 of the sick guests have been diagnosed with a form of norovirus, TBS reported.
The outbreak has already affected more people than a similarly high profile case of food poisoning at the same hotel in November of last year, when 38 people contracted a form of norovirus at a wedding banquet.
The banquet hall at which the outbreak occurred has been banned from trading for six days by local authorities. A spokesperson said that an employee preparing food for two establishments in the hotel complex has tested positive for a form of norovirus and is thought to be the source of the outbreak, TBS reported. The hotel has released a statement apologizing to customers who were affected by the incident.© Japan Today