Police in Minami-Ise, Mie Prefecture, said Sunday that a 7-year-old girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning after she was found unconscious in a tent on Saturday night.
According to police, Hideki Mizoguchi, his wife and two daughters aged 7 and 3, had been camping in a large tent on the balcony of Mizoguchi's company facility on Friday night and that they had been burning charcoal briquettes to keep warm while they slept, Fuji TV reported.
Early on Saturday morning, Mizoguchi returned home where he said he suddenly felt ill and lost consciousness. When he woke up late in the afternoon, he returned to the tent and found his wife and two daughters unconscious at around 6:20 p.m. and called 119.
Mizoguchi, his wife and two daughters were all taken to hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. The 7-year-old girl was pronounced dead a short time later, police said. Mizoguchi's wife and 3-year-old daughter are in a stable condition, police said.© Japan Today