A doctor mistakenly used a prohibited contrast agent while performing an X-ray of a female patient's spinal cord which led to the patient's unexpected death, hospital officials revealed Friday.
According to the National Center for Global Health and Medicine, on April 16, a 78-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital suffering from lower body pain. When receiving a contrast study X-ray of her spinal cord, the woman was injected with a prohibited contrast agent in her lower back and spine by a 29-year-old doctor.
TBS reported Saturday that following the X-ray, the patient began convulsing uncontrollably, and died shortly after.
Tokyo metropolitan police are conducting an investigation into the case to determine whether charges of professional negligence and medical malpractice should be filed.
Hospital officials said the woman doctor responsible was reportedly completely unaware that the contrast agent was not supposed to be injected into the spinal cord. Furthermore, she has said that she did not see the warning label detailing the product's use, before administering the agent into the patient.
The hospital offered both a formal apology to the bereaved family and a statement in which it said: "From now on, we will conduct double checks of all agents before procedures. We will also revise our management at the hospital to ensure this does not happen again."© Japan Today