national

Athletes, bakers continue to be favorite jobs of Japan's 1st-graders

14 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© KYODO

©2021 GPlusMedia Inc.

14 Comments
Login to comment

Asking 6 year-old children what they want to be is such a pointless survey to be wasting govt time and money on, especially when some of the answers are dogs and cats.

-9 ( +2 / -11 )

Bakers? Why is that so popular?

4 ( +5 / -1 )

The athlete thing is a good sign, but where does the appeal of baker come from? Does that include cake shops perhaps?

Firemen, policemen, models, nurse all very much the global standard. Kids are pretty much kids, wherever you go. full of life, energy and questions. Interview them again in ten years though for insight into the future of the nation.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

Parents wanting their six-year-olds to be bureaucrats. Dear oh dear. Time for another mention of Kurosawa's "Ikiru". Who would want that for their kid? Lots of public servants aren't even on full contracts any more.

fwiw, I wouldn't mind my daughters to become nurses, if only because they can get married, have a complete break to have kids, and then rejoin the workforce on decent pay. They can also switch hospitals at no big loss of pay if their boss is nasty. Nursing in Japan is seen as three K, but its better than being dumped on the scrapheap as soon as you have a child.

6 ( +6 / -0 )

I think they like shouting “panyasan!” It’s a fun word to pronounce and they love pastries. Anpanman is also popular.

2 ( +4 / -2 )

Yes, See Kurosawa's "Ikiru". Great movie. Nurse is a good choice for women in the current climate, but hopefully oppportunities will continue to increase for women. Small business owner ?

2 ( +3 / -1 )

They did a similar study in the US (not only limited to 1st graders) and the girls’ answers are completely different. The most popular answer for girls in the US was doctor, not baker. I think girls in Japan really need stronger females role models.

https://www.fatherly.com/news/what-kids-want-to-be-when-they-grow-up/

7 ( +7 / -0 )

Don't worry, 80% will be salaryman and the other 20% will be youtubers.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

Clamenza, “pointless survey to be wasting govt time and money on”

Kuraray is not the government.

Ricky Kaminski,

”Does that include cake shops perhaps?”

Sure does. Cake and bread bakeries are together in one category: ケーキ屋・パン屋. I would say this also implies not just a patterserie/baker, but also being the owner of the shop.

JB, “The most popular answer for girls in the US was doctor, not baker. I think girls in Japan really need stronger females role models.”

This company also surveys 6th graders every year. In 2017, for girls the answers were from top to 10th: teacher, nursery school worker, doctor, nurse, zoo/amusement park/leisure facility worker, patterserie/baker, pharmacist, verternarian, manga artist/illustrator, entertainer (comedian)/singer/model.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

The local bread which we have used for 15 years is owned and run by two brothers and their wives and live at the back of a large shop and cafe. They are all in their early 90's and have been baking for more than 70 years. Their stone ground breads are very good as are their pies and cakes. We alway spend a little time chatting with them.

5 ( +5 / -0 )

nobody wanted to become kyabajo or host ?

0 ( +1 / -1 )

I wonder when we'll start hearing them lament that they wish to be robots... since that's where all the jobs are going ?

-4 ( +0 / -4 )

I work with a lot of kids, and a lot of them want to be "youtubers." I say "Great! What kind of videos would you make?" Silence.............................

2 ( +2 / -0 )

Asking 6 year-old children what they want to be is such a pointless survey to be wasting money on, especially when some of the answers are dogs and cats.

My friend asked his son and his answer was dog but he changed it soon after his father asked him what do dogs do when they greet their dog friends. Really cute watching the interaction between father and son.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites