More than 1,500 homes in Aichi Prefecture were left without power for around six minutes from 5:20 a.m. on Sunday after a short circuit occurred at a substation. A Chubu Electric Power Co spokesperson told Fuji TV that the short circuit was caused by bird droppings.
Engineers said that the droppings caused a conducting cable to make a connection with a metal frame. Around 70,000 volts passed through the frame causing scorching and other damage. The Chubu Electric spokesman said that wire frames have been attached to vital equipment to discourage birds in the future.© Japan Today