Fourteen people sustained minor injuries early Saturday morning when a container of an alkaline detergent, belonging to a commuter, exploded.
According to police and firefighters, the incident occurred on the Marunouchi Line as the train pulled in to Hongo-sanchome Station in Bunkyo Ward at 12:20 a.m., Fuji TV reported. As the train doors opened, police say a can being carried by a female passenger exploded, causing panic in the car.
Police say the woman, in her late 20s, told them that she had been given a quantity of a powerful liquid detergent at the restaurant where she worked and that she put it into the can. It is believed that a chemical reaction, caused by shaking, took place which caused the can to explode.
Most of the injured passengers suffered burns to their skin after they were splashed by the liquid, Fuji reported.© Japan Today