Police said Sunday that a 13-year-old boy who remained unconscious in hospital had sand in his throat and stomach. The boy, a second year student at Shiroyama Junior High in Utsunomiya, was playing games with five friends in the sand at a nearby Elementary School.
The game involved four of them sitting in holes they dug about 70 cm deep, and the other two covered them up to their necks in sand. The objective was to get out of the hole as quickly as possible, and then take turns to cover up the next people. The boy was the last out of the hole and was apparently covered in sand by the others.
Emergency personnel from the fire department responded to the emergency call and on arrival began removing the sand from the boy’s throat. Police said it was highly likely the ingested sand caused breathing difficulties.© Japan Today