Officials from the Yokohama Municipal Board of Education said that a 13-year-old boy who had to leave his school in Fukushima after the 2011 nuclear accident, and transferred to a school in Yokohama had been bullied.
The board released a report that condemns the school’s “abandonment of education” in dealing with the issue, Fuji TV reported Thursday. The case came to light after the boy's parents complained to the board.
The boy, who is now a first year junior high school student, started school in Yokohama in August 2011, having been evacuated from Fukushima when he was a second year student in elementary school. According to the report, his classmates started calling him “kin" (virus) after saying his name, and he was forced to pay money at least 10 times, usually at a video arcade, by classmates who said “you have been receiving compensation from TEPCO.” Though the boy’s parents consulted the school in 2014, it took more than a year for the school to investigate what was going on and the bullying was left unresolved, the report said.
In the report, the investigative independent committee pointed out the school’s lack of attention to the boy who now has some psychological issues after the evacuation from Fukushima, and reprimanded school officials for not actively dealing with this issue.© Japan Today