A couple in Choshi, Chiba Prefecture, sustained minor burns after a body cooling spray was ignited by a lighter in their car.
According to police, the couple were parked when the blast occurred in their car. just after noon on Wednesday. Fuji TV reported that the man had been using a fast-evaporating spray to keep cool and then attempted to light a cigarette, causing the airborne gas to ignite.
Police say the 40-year-old man and his 27-year-old girlfriend sustained minor burns to their faces and other exposed skin in the incident.
Police are urging users of cooling sprays to properly ventilate areas in which the sprays are used in order to prevent build-up of flammable gas following a series of similar incidents.© Japan Today