national

Death toll from March 11 disaster stands at 15,868

6 Comments

The National Police Agency said in a report Thursday that the death toll from last year's March 11 disaster in the Tohoku region stands at 15,868.

By prefecture, the NPA said the number of confirmed deaths were 9,525 in Miyagi, 4,671 in Iwate and 1,606 in Fukushima. Sixty-six deaths in other prefectures were also attributed to the disaster, the NPA said.

The number of people still reported as missing is 2,844 -- 1,426 in Miyagi, 1,207 in Iwate and 211 in Fukushima, the NPA said

© Japan Today

©2020 GPlusMedia Inc.

6 Comments
Login to comment

May all their souls rest in peace.

6 ( +6 / -0 )

Glad that the 22000 number that was originally stated was just misinformed and that many of those missing were found alive and well.

1 ( +3 / -2 )

This is 15,868 too many. May they rest in peace.

4 ( +4 / -0 )

That's it

0 ( +0 / -0 )

So many folks, cannot imagine.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

So when are the remaining "missing" going to be converted to "presumed dead"?

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites