The mayor of Naraha in Fukushima Prefecture met with Environment Ministry officials on Monday and Tuesday to discuss whether the municipality should allow the establishment of an interim storage facility for radioactive waste from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
The town of Naraha falls within the 20-km-radius restricted zone spanning five other municipalities along the coast. Much of the debris caused by the magnitude 9.0 quake and the subsequent tsunami, thought to have amounted to around 474,000 tons, remains uncleared.
In April 2012, it was reported that debris emitting more than 100,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium per kilogram of debris would be transferred to a medium-term storage facility to be built by the state. Naraha Mayor Yukiei Matsumoto told a news conference that he was in talks to allow the establishment of a contaminated waste storage facility as long as certain conditions are met, Fuji TV reported Wednesday.
Matsumoto met with Deputy Environment Minister Shinji Inoue at a temporary town hall in Iwaki. Matsumoto said he and Inoue had agreed that Naraha would only accept and store contaminated waste originating from within the town boundaries.
Matsumoto said that no final agreement had been reached yet.© Japan Today