Poisonous mushrooms may have been sold to visitors by mistake on Saturday at a mushroom festival in Tokyo's Sumida Ward. It is believed that a total of four packs were sold, but only two packs have been recovered so far, police said Sunday.
Over the course of the two-day Sumida Festival, it is believed that the poisonous sulfur tuft mushrooms may have accidentally been mixed with a batch of chestnut mushrooms from Nagano Prefecture and been put on sale by mistake. The vendor was quoted by police as saying: "It is possible that the items we sold were not as described by the farmers who supplied them to us. We feel terrible about the mix-up."
Experts claim it would be very difficult even for a specialist to tell the mushrooms apart. If eaten, the toxic sulfur tuft mushroom can cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and even breathing difficulties.
Local authorities are testing the recovered mushrooms while expediting recovery of the remaining two.
For more information, call ward officials ０３・５６０８・６１８１.© Compiled from news reports