Shiga prefectural officials said Monday that rest stop on an expressway in Shiga Prefecture mistakenly sold poisonous mushrooms to travelers.
Officials said that as of Monday, 14 people had become ill from eating the mushrooms, TBS reported.
Prefectural officials said they found out on Sept 20 that the Kutsuki Shinhonjin rest stop near Takashima City had mistakenly sold 12 packs of "oyster mushrooms" apparently had poisonous "moonlight mushrooms" mixed in with them, TBS reported.
Both oyster and moonlight mushrooms are very similar in shape and color. However, health officials said that one hour after eating moonlight mushrooms, an individual is likely to suffer from severe stomach pain and diarrhea.
The rest stop is taking action and recalling all of the items, after which an investigation into the matter will commence.© Japan Today