An 18-year-old university student in Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture, has died of suspected alcohol poisoning after celebrating with friends at his home, police said Tuesday.
According to police, the youth was drinking with fellow members of the University of Tsukuba swimming club at his apartment on Sunday to celebrate the successful completion of a swimming competition. TBS repoprted that the boy, who was under the legal drinking age of 20, was consuming alcohol with 10 friends from around 7:30 p.m. At around 10:30 p.m., another student called the emergency services to report that the boy had turned pale. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Other students present at the gathering were quoted by police as saying the boy had been drinking beer and umeshu, a Japanese spirit, when he began vomiting.© Japan Today