Tokyo Electric Power Co plans to release footage of video conferences that took place between its head office in Tokyo and the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in the days following the earthquake and tsunami of March 11, 2011.
TEPCO is to show around 150 hours of teleconference video footage to journalists and media organizations at its head office from Aug 6-10, TBS reported Saturday. However, the company has said it will not allow reproduction of the footage, which has reportedly been edited by the utility. It also added that 100 hours of the footage, that taken at the Fukushima plant, does not include audio.
The footage was taken between March 11 and 15. TEPCO said journalists will be permitted to take notes, but audio and video recordings will be strictly forbidden. The utility has so far ignored calls from journalists for it to make the footage available on DVD so that it can be viewed at any time.
Although employee names and other information have been edited out of the footage for reasons of personal privacy, some media outlets have been speculating as to whether or not the footage will confirm rumors that TEPCO planned a full pullout from the crippled plant, TBS reported.
According to a TEPCO spokesperson, the footage includes shots of former Prime Minister Naoto Kan, who joined the video conference at TEPCO's head office to rebuke staff for taking insufficient safety measures, as well as footage of staff discussing the use of seawater to cool the overheating fuel rods.© Japan Today