Japan Today
national

Updated COVID vaccine targeting Omicron subvariant rolls out in Japan

64 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© KYODO

©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.

64 Comments

Comments have been disabled You can no longer respond to this thread.

Excellent.

-3 ( +18 / -21 )

*The free vaccination campaign, in which anyone six months or older is eligible*

Here we go again. What responsible parent or any normal adult sound of mind would even *consider** *partaking in this program given the irrefutable evidence of serious complications associated with Covid vaccines?

Where is the mention of Covid vaccines of any pharmaceutical company no longer being recommended outside of the elderly and those with severe commorbities in the EU? Why do we need to inject ourselves with this "safe and effective" vaccine when EU governments are now unwilling to provide it to the majority of people?

1 ( +22 / -21 )

Thuban

Today 07:11 am JST

The vaccination this fall might be the last chance to obtain coronavirus inoculation in Japan free of charge,

> Even with that, my guess is there'll be a 90% rejection rate among adults and a 95% rejection rate for children under 12.

> US State health authorities announced a few days ago that there are specifically recommending against anyone under 65 taking this shot.

The CDC?

That's big news if true

7 ( +10 / -3 )

US State health authorities announced a few days ago that there are specifically recommending against anyone under 65 taking this shot.*

I mean this sounds like an outright lie. I don't always ask for sources but it would be good if you could provide one to support this statement

10 ( +18 / -8 )

An updated COVID-19 vaccine targeting the Omicron XBB.1.5 subvariant 

eh? I thought Omicron is OLD news....

Pirola is the current variant targeted for vaccination? I know the UK has ramped up their program for Pirola.

https://www.bmj.com/content/382/bmj.p2097

BTW, for anti vaxxers, you win the Darwin Award.

-6 ( +12 / -18 )

No thank you, enough is enough

11 ( +25 / -14 )

No @Thuban - That's NOT what you said, and you have no links to provide from anyone in authority.

Read your first post back.

1 ( +13 / -12 )

I hope the people that believe these vaccines are safe and effective get this one too and all the subsequent ones as they roll up.

Trust the Science and don't delay.

2 ( +17 / -15 )

US State health authorities announced a few days ago that there are specifically recommending against anyone under 65 taking this shot

Any source to support this claim? because that is very different from what it is being reported, people that have been found to openly lie and hide information to make misleading claims about vaccines can't validly be generlized as "US state health authorities".

*Here we go again. What responsible parent or any normal adult sound of mind would even *consider** partaking in this program given the irrefutable evidence of serious complications associated with Covid vaccines?

Any parent that is rational enough to recognize antivaxxer propaganda not supported by any evidence is not enough to contradict the professional recommendations from experts that do have the evidence to prove the infection is much more risky for everybody for whom the vaccine is recommended. Fortunately not many parents like to pretend there is a global conspiracy so they can keep mistaken beliefs.

-7 ( +15 / -22 )

Fact, some companies have been experiencing covid-19 infection among employees and so, have been requesting the use of masks, to avoid conversation during meals, and the most convincing reason to avoid getting covid-19 is that at least for 3 days the person will receive no salary payment due to the current law, so, it hurts the pocket, and the person has to stay at home for a week, at least.

-1 ( +5 / -6 )

The State health authorities are specifically recommending that people under 65 NOT take these injections.

Again, someone that have been heavily criticized for making reports hiding information to support his personal claim can't be generalized as "State health authorities", his antiscientific stance is the exception and not the rule, and the lack of evidence (since his fabrications were discovered they no longer count) to support his recommendations make them invalid and better ignored.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2023/05/13/joseph-ladapo-says-anti-vaccine-crusade-was-gods-plan-it-cost-him-his-peers-trust/

-6 ( +12 / -18 )

I prefer a healthy diet of fresh food, plenty of sunshine and exercise.

And rational people can understand that being immunized can be done on top of everything else and lower your risk from the infection even more.

Therefore, in order to maintain good health, I maximise my oxygen intake with proper breathing and no obstructions in front of my face like a mask

Mask use under normal activity have not been related to any change in oxygen intake of clinical importance, believing otherwise is not a rational position to take. Nor regular masks "offgases" anything that can be proved negative to the health above background levels.

-5 ( +14 / -19 )

@Thuban Are you trying to insinuate that living a healthy lifestyle improves health? That just sounds like "crazy talk."

0 ( +12 / -12 )

Even "healthy" people succumb to various illnesses and sicknesses like cancer for instance or heart attacks.

5 ( +13 / -8 )

The only times I've been sick in the last three years are the days after I got vaccinated.

After three times no more for me or my family

2 ( +15 / -13 )

@wallace

Of course. However, being obese is worse than smoking as far as risks of being hospitalized and death.

-1 ( +7 / -8 )

Thuban

Today 08:09 am JST

The CDC?

> That's big news if true

> I didn't say the CDC, I said State health authorities.

> It's true.

You said

US State health authorities announced a few days ago that there are specifically recommending against anyone under 65 taking this shot.

The tide has turned massively.

I asked if it's the CDC because you said the tide has turned massively.

2 ( +9 / -7 )

proxy

@wallace

Of course. However, being obese is worse than smoking as far as risks of being hospitalized and death.

According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity and overweight together are the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States, close behind tobacco use.

https://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm

6 ( +11 / -5 )

carpslidy

Today 09:03 am JST

The only times I've been sick in the last three years are the days after I got vaccinated.

> After three times no more for me or my family

Seems to have worked well then even if you stopped at three

Anyway, covid is not novel now and vaccines are not that urgent or necessary anymore so I guess it's ok if you decide you don't need the addtl protection.

But I was surprised there are health authorities whose specific recommendation is to not get the new vaccines considering it's supposed to target new variants.

1 ( +9 / -8 )

After hearing horror stories of side effects or adverse health effects from vaccinated and unvaccinated, at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice. Very few believe the efficacy of the vaccines as so many who received it still got covid and the severity was unchanged between vaxxed and unvaxxed. Just a money spinner now for pfizer et al ..

0 ( +15 / -15 )

Very few believe the efficacy of the vaccines

Or, maybe most people believe in the efficacy.

I wonder which it is...

-3 ( +12 / -15 )

After hearing horror stories of side effects or adverse health effects from vaccinated and unvaccinated, at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice

Personal choice can be made by rationally or not, just because you decide something yourself that does not make the decision automatically correct.

Very few believe the efficacy of the vaccines 

The whole scientific and medical community of the world are not "very few", you have yet to bring any actual institution of medical science that disagrees with the recommendations based on scientific data.

so many who received it still got covid and the severity was unchanged between vaxxed and unvaxxed

That is false, vaccinating has been related above any rational doubt with a much better outcome, just claiming this is not the case without presenting any evidence to prove the scientiic consensus as wrong is not a valid argument.

-7 ( +11 / -18 )

On how many people, if any, has this new product been tested on?

The XBB.1.5 subvariant is known for mutations that appear to help it evade the body's immune defenses and improve its ability to invade cells.

Those mutations in the spike protein especially help it evade vaccine-induced immunity.

The updated vaccine is also believed to be effective against the Omicron subvariant EG.5.1 that has spread in Japan.

Believed? Based on what?

2 ( +14 / -12 )

Any parent that is rational enough to recognize antivaxxer propaganda not supported by any evidence is not enough to contradict the professional recommendations from experts that do have the evidence to prove the infection is much more risky for everybody for whom the vaccine is recommended

So that there can be no mistake, are you clearly and unequivocally recommending the Covid vaccine for a healthy 6 month old baby?

6 ( +17 / -11 )

On how many people, if any, has this new product been tested on?

As long as there is no realistic risks according to the best experts on the field and those in charge of approving vaccines the number of human included in the trials is not a concern. The only difference in the formulation have already people exposed to it naturally without an increase of risks.

Those mutations in the spike protein especially help it evade vaccine-induced immunity.

The mutations help evade all kinds of immunity, vaccine induced immunity is only special in the way they confer that immunity without incurring in the much higher risks from the infection.

So that there can be no mistake, are you clearly and unequivocally recommending the Covid vaccine for a healthy 6 month old baby?

The experts do, since it would reduce the risk for them, do you have any data to refute their recommendation? obviously just saying they must be wrong because you have to be right is not an argument.

Believed? Based on what?

The scientific data that allows for the prediction of what antigenic epitopes are recognized.

We didn't participate in the last Vax experiment, which didn't prevent infection or transmission of the virus.

If you want to consider immunization an experiment that means you are participating in it, as part of the higher risk control group. The vaccine of course did prevent infection and transmission, just not perfectly (the same as every other vaccine in the history of humankind) since that unrealistic goal is just part of the antivaxxer groups propaganda.

-7 ( +9 / -16 )

Still doin' good with zero shots. Each to their own. I'm still waiting for this "severe winter of illness and death" I heard about. Maybe this year is the one?

3 ( +14 / -11 )

What responsible parent or any normal adult sound of mind would even consider partaking in this program given the irrefutable evidence of serious complications associated with Covid vaccines?

Those who get their information exclusively from the MSM, which unfortunately never present that evidence.

2 ( +14 / -12 )

Those who get their information exclusively from the MSM, which unfortunately never present that evidence.

That is false, pretending the scientific evidence only comes from the media is an excuse when the actual source are scientific studies, it makes no sense that the scientific community of the world would support the recommendation based on media.

-8 ( +9 / -17 )

virusrexToday  09:37 am JST

The whole scientific and medical community of the world are not "very few", you have yet to bring any actual institution of medical science that disagrees with the recommendations based on scientific data.

Well that's just an outright lie! There are plenty of medical practitioners and scientists urging caution around the covid "vaccines"

https://canberraweekly.com.au/doctors-association-concerned-about-covid-19-vaccines-wants-debate/

4 ( +15 / -11 )

@ian

I don't always ask for sources but it would be good if you could provide one to support this statement

The surgeon general of Florida is indeed advising against being vaccinated.

However, this is done because Florida governor DeSantis is running for the 2024 GOP nomination of presidential election and he's courting anti-vax Trump-won conspiracy theorists, this is why he's advising against COVID vaccines.

However, Florida is alone in this crazy anti-vaxx crusades as other GOP stronghold states are endorsing vaccination like Texas governor Abbot who got his shots on TV and credited vaccine with saving his life when he got COVID. Heck, Ohio even ran a $1 million vaccine lottery among vaccinated people to encourage people getting vaccinated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9YFoJdwTxY

-3 ( +11 / -14 )

Well that's just an outright lie! There are plenty of medical practitioners and scientists urging caution around the covid "vaccines"

You still have not brought even one single recognized institution of medical science to support that claim, not one in the whole world, that completely disproves your claim.

If you search enough you will find "doctors" disagreeing with the explanation of microbes as the origin of infection, or that say antibiotics do not work, etc. That do not disproves the consensus, it simply proves that there will always be people that are not correctly prepared or that like to think their personal experience is above validated and objective scientific data, that is not an argument to prove they are right or have basis for their misakes.

-7 ( +8 / -15 )

On how many people, if any, has this new product been tested on?

As long as there is no realistic risks according to the best experts on the field and those in charge of approving vaccines the number of human included in the trials is not a concern. The only difference in the formulation have already people exposed to it naturally without an increase of risks.

It's a new product. It causes your cells to synthesize different protein, which is not identical to the viral protein.

Those who get their information exclusively from the MSM, which unfortunately never present that evidence.

That is false, pretending the scientific evidence only comes from the media is an excuse when the actual source are scientific studies, it makes no sense that the scientific community of the world would support the recommendation based on media.

The scientific studies and official databases paint a very different from what we get from the MSM. Those "communities" that have been captured by big pharma do indeed make those recommendations...

-2 ( +11 / -13 )

The State health authorities are specifically recommending that people under 65 NOT take these injections.

Thumbs up to that.

The novelty has literally worn off.

Proceed with caution if considering getting these.

-3 ( +9 / -12 )

It's a new product. It causes your cells to synthesize different protein, which is not identical to the viral protein.

There is no realistic posibility of the antigen in the vaccine to increase the risk above what is observed from the many different varieties of protein produced during the infection, making up imaginary dangers is not an argument to say these have to be taken into account, without any evidence of actual risk it can be said to be safe, at least to the degree the protein is during infection (which of course courses with many other factors of risk absent from the vaccine)/

The scientific studies and official databases paint a very different from what we get from the MSM.

No they don't, which is why you can never find any medical science institution that supports your claims,

Those "communities" that have been captured by big pharma do indeed make those recommendations...

Once you reduce yourself to use global conspiracies impossible to believe you are accepting you have no argument to prove your point, and instead use these baseless excuses, nobody can believe every single institution of the whole world is "captured" just because not even one supports your beliefs.

Thumbs up to that.

So you consider positive for a public health official to hide data and deceive the public by making unethical modifications to give the appearance of vaccines being risky, even when the full set of data proves otherwise? Deceiving people for political reasons should not be something to be supported.

-6 ( +9 / -15 )

Those "communities" that have been captured by big pharma do indeed make those recommendations...

Once you reduce yourself to use global conspiracies impossible to believe you are accepting you have no argument to prove your point, and instead use these baseless excuses, nobody can believe every single institution of the whole world is "captured" just because not even one supports your beliefs.

So you don' think that Pfizer and other pharmas pay large sums to regulatory agencies, media, hospitals, "fact" checkers...? Any researcher that comes out against their narrative will have trouble getting future funding (including from NIH) and/or will lose their job. Any journalist who diverts from the narrative will be fired. Those agencies have been captured, their funding is depends on their following the pharma narrative.

Plenty of experts (doctors and researchers) ho have a conscience have come out against the vaccine. Many have been censored, lost their jobs and funding, and have been attacked by their "peers", and yet they go on because they have a conscience.

3 ( +13 / -10 )

In the U.K. the vaccines are only available to over 65’s and those younger with serious ailments. Unlike a certain chap here writes the experts worldwide do not recommend to give them to all aged 6 months and above. The majority of nations now do the same.

-1 ( +11 / -12 )

In the U.K. the vaccines are only available to over 65’s and those younger with serious ailments. 

How do you know that?

-3 ( +10 / -13 )

Elvis

Checked the NHS website, great what you can find out online, I’m not a Doylem, lol

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2023/08/08/covid-autumn-booster-vaccine-2023-everything-you-need-to-know/

0 ( +10 / -10 )

Indeed. What makes you look up the NHS website?

-8 ( +6 / -14 )

Elvis

To fact-check Virus false info that all experts and medical institutions advise 6 months and over to be vaccinated. Thought that would be obvious, it’s a place for discussion and to refute falsehoods.

Best for people to get correct information rather than a biased and slanted one you see.

-1 ( +10 / -11 )

I see. I'd check the website of the country that I live in. Not the country where I have migrated from.

-8 ( +8 / -16 )

Elvis

Thats your choice, everyone to their own choices. Talking about worldwide not just Japan, BTW

NHS website and U.K. government has better info and data available online than Japan and most other countries such as the USA.

-6 ( +9 / -15 )

If you say so boss. Thanks for clearing that up. I personally find the Japanese information is adequate. Google translate helps a lot, too.

-9 ( +5 / -14 )

So you don' think that Pfizer and other pharmas pay large sums to regulatory agencies, media, hospitals, "fact" checkers...? 

That is not what you are saying, according to you that applies to every single institution of medical science in the whole world, that is impossible to believe, as long as any single institution agrees with the scientific consensus then it is irrelevant if they have support from private companies, it would be terribly irrational to think a conflict of interest would disprove what the whole world have proved correct.

Plenty of experts (doctors and researchers) ho have a conscience have come out against the vaccine. 

And against antibiotics, and against surgery, or diagnostic procedures, etc. That does not make them correct, for that they would need actual evidence, and one thing in common for all those that reject the consensus is that they do not have the scientific evidence to actually support their claims.

Again, you want people to believe every single institution of the world is in a global conspiracy, not something rational.

and have been attacked by their "peers", and yet they go on because they have a conscience.

No, they are attacked because they use invalid methods, hide information or even fabricate it, something you have absolutely no problem with as long as they say what you want to believe, that is not ethical nor desirable.

To fact-check Virus false info that all experts and medical institutions advise 6 months and over to be vaccinated. 

Quote where did I say that.

Can't? that means you have lowered yourself to make up baseless accusations when you are unable to refute what was actually said, vaccines reduce the risk for all those for whom they are being indicated, that does not mean the vaccines are indicated or recommended for everybody, that decision involves other things, including costs, if a country have achieved control of the spreading and can prove the reduction of risk is not cost effective (thanks to the risk being now closer to background levels) that is not the same as saying that now the vaccines are more risky.

-10 ( +7 / -17 )

I wonder if we will be seeing another wave shortly.

-3 ( +3 / -6 )

Samit Basu

Today 10:48 am JST

@ian

> I don't always ask for sources but it would be good if you could provide one to support this statement

> The surgeon general of Florida is indeed advising against being vaccinated.

Thanks.

As he himself said in another post that was his inspiration for asserting

US State health authorities announced a few days ago that there are specifically recommending against anyone under 65 taking this shot.

The tide has turned massively.

-2 ( +6 / -8 )

And actually it makes a huge difference who is making the claims that's why it's illegal to pay witnesses in a trial. Likewise journalists are bound to say if they have a financial interest in an article they are reporting on.

It's in your financial interest to support vaccinations thus your opinions are not biased but also misleading

0 ( +10 / -10 )

No thank big pharmaceutical wants to keep cashing in and free is worrying because nothing in this world is free

1 ( +12 / -11 )

The vaccination this fall might be the last chance to obtain coronavirus inoculation in Japan free of charge

Thanks, but no thanks. I will definitely pass.

1 ( +10 / -9 )

This is great news .!. Hospitalizations in Japan are currently at record highs.!. Do your individual part to help ease the burden on the healthcare system.!. Get your jab of the safe and effective vaccine .!. Don’t you or force one of your family members to become a statistic.!.

-8 ( +9 / -17 )

 Hospitalizations in Japan are currently at record highs.!

in your wildest dreams

-1 ( +10 / -11 )

Why would we rely on a regional paper from Tampa Bay versus the CDC government website? Not only by individual states but also locally the vaccination release and supply varies in the states. Starting from this vaccination, it costs around $120-130 without insurance, so it really depends on who needs it and is properly eligible.

Not true that this shot is not recommended for anyone under 65. Absolutely false information.

-4 ( +8 / -12 )

No thanks. Never had one and never will. Got Covid last December. 3 rough days, just like a flu.

5 ( +16 / -11 )

Meanwhile I still stay unvaccinated…

6 ( +16 / -10 )

Can't deny it. The vaccines got us out of dodge city relatively quickly. We'd be scr@wed without them.

-8 ( +8 / -16 )

So you don' think that Pfizer and other pharmas pay large sums to regulatory agencies, media, hospitals, "fact" checkers...?

hmmmm, it was probably Pfizer that created the thrombosis conspiracy against the AstraZeneca vax, together with the EU and media organisation, in the first place.

But of course, now we know from evidence that people vaccinated with AZ vaccine are 17 times LESS likely to suffer from thrombosis than those in vaccinated in Sweden.

Also, guess what AZ is free of license fees, vs costly Pfizer vax.

Seriously, we know now, they made it in a lab, they added functions to the original bat virus, the function was to better infect humans. If you get vaccinated, you deserve the Darwin award.

-4 ( +8 / -12 )

I mean unvaccinated in Sweden. ^^^

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites