Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says that the Asahi Shimbun's decades-old articles on wartime atrocities based on an account later found to be fictitious, had damaged Japan's image abroad.
Speaking in the House of Representatives on Friday, Abe said the stories slandered Japan and he called for issue to be studied based on ducmented facts, TV Asahi reported.
Last month, the Asahi apologized, with its president pledging to restore his organization's credibility.
The Asahi articles were published in the 1980s and 1990s and based on a Japanese man's account - later found to be false - that described women on the Korean island of Jeju being forcibly recruited to work in Japanese wartime military brothels.
Those retractions, decades after scholars first raised doubts about the man's account and years after Asahi itself said it could not be confirmed, set off a firestorm of criticism.
The issue of "comfort women", as those forced to work in the brothels are known, has a flash point in Japan's ties with South Korea and a red-flag topic for Japanese conservatives.
A landmark 1993 apology by then-chief cabinet secretary Yohei Kono acknowledged Japanese authorities' involvement in coercing women, many Korean, to work in the brothels.
But many Japanese conservatives including Abe say there is no proof of direct state involvement in kidnapping the women.© Japan Today/Reuters