tennis

WTA chief says Peng Shuai email 'only raises' his safety concerns

16 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© 2021 AFP

©2023 GPlusMedia Inc.

16 Comments
Login to comment

So, she wrote an email to WTA that somehow appeared on the official Chinese news, but nobody else can contact her otherwise. Because she is "resting at home".

This could be a huge misunderstanding (about 1% probability), but 99% it looks like a page from the Mao's textbook of dealing with "uncomfortable persons".

12 ( +15 / -3 )

As usual there, anything between house arrest and ‘re-educational’ camp. After some weeks or months she’s forced to sign a contradicting explanation and being released and will have ‘forgotten’ or downplay current own accusations. On the other side that’s the possible and maybe only way out unharmed. She might continue the tennis career and use the next international tournament for escape and then again holding her version of the story.

6 ( +8 / -2 )

Very brave, but why on Earth would she accuse the guy while in China?

8 ( +10 / -2 )

Down with the evil CCP.

5 ( +10 / -5 )

And the Chinese government wonders why the world doesn't trust or respect them.

6 ( +11 / -5 )

no tennis players should compete in China until she is shown to be safe.

Will the pros do that though.

4 ( +7 / -3 )

In times of crisis email is not exactly a popular meethod of communication.

-2 ( +0 / -2 )

This is the reality that Taiwan folks may face in the not too distant future.

Hopefully they can stay free.

Most HK peeps wanted to be free too but ain't now.

Support freedom. Not a big ask.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

Time for the Tennis World to stand and be counted. One of yours' needs your help. Please step forward and demand full and verifiable accounting of Peng Shuai's whereabouts from the Chinese Government!!! May she be safe and well.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

Naomi Osaka said Wednesday that she was in "shock" about Peng,

Shock can be extremely debilitating so I assume she is going have to miss a couple of major tournaments as a result of it.

The whole thing stinks doesn't it, any athletes competing in the forthcoming Chinese Olympics should hang their heads in shame.

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

If the Chinese Government has harmed, detained this person, then, as a consequence, BOYCOTT THE WINTER GAMES IN CHINA.

2 ( +3 / -1 )

If a single person goes missing in China the western media make a big deal about it… they should also focus on how many people are made to disappear in the US and globally by the CIA! The world is full of hypocrisy!

-4 ( +0 / -4 )

If a single person goes missing in China the western media make a big deal about it… they should also focus on how many people are made to disappear in the US and globally by the CIA! The world is full of hypocrisy!

Humans have a tendency to group other into single monolithic entity, attributing all opinions made by any member of the group to every member of the group. This leads to them making accusations of hypocrisy, when generally the people claiming one thing are one part of the overall group, and the people doing the other thing are a different part of that group.

It's reductionist thinking to call this hypocrisy. It's ignoring the real-world nuances of how groups of people actually behave.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

Raped, kidnapped, gagged by her own government and who knows what else she's going through right now, maybe she's being starved.

Where the hell is Peng Shuai.

Bravo! . . . To the WTA for standing up against this CCP charade and not believing the absurd e-mail purportedly from her that everything was just peachy keen and honky-dory. It's all something you'd expect from North Korea.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Everything the Chinese government is doing about this is sus

If she's OK, then why not produce her live on TV? Why instead produce an email? Then why are all her social media accounts disappeared? In the very news conference where they talked about her, in the official transcript, all mention of her name has been scrubbed. If she's OK, they why are all this happening

Everything the Chinese government is doing about this is very sus. They actually think people will buy this

If a single person goes missing in China the western media make a big deal about it

That's an admission that she is missing, and not fine at home as the Chinese government says

And she's a high-profile person. If such a high-profile person in the West goes missing, ya betcha the Western media would make a big deal about it

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites