world

As world marks 9/11, Taliban flag raised over seat of power

26 Comments
By KATHY GANNON

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

©2021 GPlusMedia Inc.


26 Comments

Comments have been disabled You can no longer respond to this thread.

We hear a lot about the less than 3,000 who died in the US on 9/11 but very little about the equally innocent men, women and children who died in Afghanistan and Iraq after due to the US's need to show it wasn't impotent. The number who died in the US is tiny in comparison. Their lives don't matter?

-3 ( +7 / -10 )

Once the world media takes its eye off the Taliban the strict Sharia Law will be introduced.

The loss of innocent lives in the 9/11 attacks was tragic but the loss of civilians in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is also tragic.

4 ( +7 / -3 )

We hear a lot about the less than 3,000 who died in the US on 9/11 but very little about the equally innocent men, women and children who died in Afghanistan and Iraq after due to the US's need to show it wasn't impotent. The number who died in the US is tiny in comparison. Their lives don't matter?

For the innocent people that died of course their lives mattered, but putting the war aside, look how many people are killed by the Taliban alone and as Americans or Brits etc. we are responsible and need to address the families of the men and women that served to protect us and that’s are our own people. We can try to send humanitarian help, help the people have some sort of normal life, we tried, but this administration left in a hurry and that pullout destroyed 20 years of work and progress and now as a result more people will die and the women will make up a large portion of these deaths as well as anyone that helped Americans and other allied forces. It’s all sad, I understand, but we have a responsibility to our people now because their citizens of our nation, that’s the first priority always and that goes for every other nation as well.

-9 ( +2 / -11 )

The loss of innocent lives in the 9/11 attacks was tragic but the loss of civilians in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is also tragic.

In the end they all died for nothing.

4 ( +7 / -3 )

The Saudi royals are just as oppressive as the Taliban and the people who attacked us on 9/11 were Saudis, in all probability backed by the Saudi royals, but they're OK and the Taliban are not. Why is that?.

The two Saudi pilots were jet trained by daddy bush in Vero Bch Florida. Baby bush got all the saudi royals out of the USA within 24 hours without debriefing about their close relative OBL.

8 ( +9 / -1 )

The Saudi royals are just as oppressive as the Taliban and the people who attacked us on 9/11 were Saudis, in all probability backed by the Saudi royals, but they're OK

No, but we need the Saudis, that’s a fact especially if we hope to contain Iran and now that we lost Afghanistan thanks to Biden, we need the Saudis more than ever

and the Taliban are not. Why is that?

Because the Talibans intentions are to destroy the west ultimately

The two Saudi pilots were jet trained by daddy bush in Vero Bch Florida.

Here we go again with that nonsense.

Baby bush got all the saudi royals out of the USA within 24 hours without debriefing about their close relative OBL.

Well, look how we got out of Afghanistan, look how Biden screwed that up. Look, there’s enough blame to go around, the main thing is, we don’t have eyes and ears in Afghanistan anymore, that’s all gone, so now it’s a black hole and we need to rely on other methods and that’s where the Saudis can play a vital role in. No one likes this people, but the US would be smart in keeping the relationship with these people if they want to know what’s going on in Afghanistan and they want Iran kept on a leash.

-11 ( +2 / -13 )

bass4funkToday  09:55 am JST

> No, but we need the Saudis, that’s a fact especially if we hope to contain Iran and now that we lost Afghanistan thanks to Biden, we need the Saudis more than ever

We lost Afghanistan because of Biden? How do you figure?

You pillory Biden for “losing” Afghanistan, but accuse him of being a warmonger. How do you square these contradictory views?

6 ( +9 / -3 )

We lost Afghanistan because of Biden? How do you figure?

The pullout, the left weapons, the soldiers, the special Ops, the Afghani translators and SIV holders, the Senior military officials that tried to warn him, the people left behind, the retired special Ops that are going in on their own time to help people, the videos, testimonies, all of these are the evidence of how he bungled this pullout.

You pillory Biden for “losing” Afghanistan, but accuse him of being a warmonger.

I have never, ever once called him that and you know it. But I will say this, Biden did support and help fund the war in Iraq, but he opposed the killing of OBL, he downplayed the threat of ISIS like his boss, he opposed the killing of Soleimani, the guy is not a warmonger, this is true, but he is exceptionally weak.

And this will not play well for him in the history books for how he handled Afghanistan.

-7 ( +2 / -9 )

bass4funkToday  10:37 am JST

> The pullout, the left weapons, the soldiers, the special Ops, the Afghani translators and SIV holders, the Senior military officials that tried to warn him, the people left behind, the retired special Ops that are going in on their own time to help people, the videos, testimonies, all of these are the evidence of how he bungled this pullout.

You do realize Trump promised the Taliban we would leave, correct? You do realize that once we left, the Taliban would take over again, correct? You do realize this means we were going to “lose” Afghanistan no matter what, correct?

3 ( +6 / -3 )

You do realize Trump promised the Taliban we would leave, correct?

Yes under certain conditions and if the conditions were violated, the US had ever right to renege on any of the agreed terms, so why didn’t Biden follow up on that. You make it a point that Trump made a promise, that deal was part of that, so let’s further the conversion as to why the current President didn’t insist on the conditions of the previous President? Biden is current and now the ball was in his court as to how to execute these pre-written and verbal conditions, he did it by running, so bad as the move that he was even held in contempt by the Brits.

You do realize that once we left, the Taliban would take over again, correct?

Of course, but there is a right way to leave and a wrong way to leave, Biden and Blinken chose the wrong way. That’s another reason why Biden couldn’t speak of that disaster today, no way, he would have been cursed at or pelted.

You do realize this means we were going to “lose” Afghanistan no matter what, correct?

Not If the boulevard have been done correctly, you could have Gotten all of our people out as well as SIV holders and many of the green card holding afghans and that certainly didn’t happen, so I do believe that we will be there again one day and we go back in and we have to fight these people and things to buy them we will be fighting them and they will be better armed and heavily fortified using our weapons against us. Realize that.

-6 ( +3 / -9 )

At the end of last year, when Trump reduced the troops to 2,500 the Taliban knew their time was coming again.

Unfortunately, America and its NATO allies lost this war.

2 ( +5 / -3 )

I guarantee without the U.S. "meddling" in middle east affairs, there would have been a lot more death and destruction in that part of the world. The U.S. nation-building policy was a failure not retaliation for 9/11.

4 ( +8 / -4 )

The Taliban were never going to honour any agreement with America.

Biden could not withdraw the troops and also prevent the Taliban takeover.

2 ( +4 / -2 )

The Taliban were never going to honour any agreement with America.

But they were honoring the agreement. No attacks on the troops if out by May 1st.

Biden could not withdraw the troops and also prevent the Taliban takeover.

You’re very short on facts.

The Taliban asked the US to secure Kabul. They declined. The Taliban takeover of Kabul was a given. SOME in the US military were just surprised by their success.

1 ( +5 / -4 )

You do realize that once we left, the Taliban would take over again, correct?

Biden said this was highly unlikely”. Now you claim everyone knew and accepted this?

0 ( +5 / -5 )

The Taliban didn't have to attack American troops. Why should they? They sat it out for a few months then took over the entire country very quickly. That was always their goal.

Biden could never have prevented the Taliban take over.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

It is not a Quranic verse on their banner.

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

FizzBit Today  12:56 pm JST

The Taliban didn't have to attack American troops. Why should they? They sat it out for a few months then took over the entire country very quickly. That was always their goal.

Biden could never have prevented the Taliban take over.

It seems you’re playing catch-up with the story and missing a lot of information. I understand though, cuz you won’t get that information on 2 minute CNN stories.

I don't watch CNN.

How many American troops killed since the Trump Doha agreement? Feb 20 2020.

4 killed during 2020. 13 killed by the ISIS-K this year. The four killed last year were from non-combat duties.

https://dcas.dmdc.osd.mil/dcas/pages/report_ofs_namesalp.xhtml

About 2,300 military service members died in Afghanistan during the two-decade $6.5 trillion war.

Since the Trump DOHA agreement, the Taliban did not attack any troops and just sat it out.

1 ( +4 / -3 )

bass4funkToday  10:57 am JST

> Yes under certain conditions and if the conditions were violated, the US had ever right to renege on any of the agreed terms, so why didn’t Biden follow up on that. You make it a point that Trump made a promise, that deal was part of that, so let’s further the conversion as to why the current President didn’t insist on the conditions of the previous President? 

You really should educate yourself on what those condition were before claiming Biden didn’t follow up on those conditions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/20/trump-peace-deal-taliban/

2 ( +4 / -2 )

BlacklabelToday  11:47 am JST

How did you get this:

Now you claim everyone knew and accepted this?

from this:

You do realize that once we left, the Taliban would take over again, correct? 

?

My post was very clear and did not claim that “everyone knew and accepted” the Taliban would takeover.

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

FizzBitToday  11:39 am JST

> But they were honoring the agreement. No attacks on the troops if out by May 1st.

They honored this after May 1st.

> You’re very short on facts. 

The Taliban asked the US to secure Kabul. They declined. The Taliban takeover of Kabul was a given. SOME in the US military were just surprised by their success.

The Taliban did not ask the US to secure Kabul; it asked the US to keep it’s embassy in Kabul.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/08/1030adf9279f-taliban-asks-us-to-retain-embassy-in-kabul-guarantees-security.html

The Taliban offered to allow the US to secure Kabul, but never requested the US to do so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/taliban-offered-kabul-to-u-s-but-americans-said-no-report.amp

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

Biden could not withdraw the troops and also prevent the Taliban takeover.

That was supposed to be the job of the former Afghan government and military. That's what they get for reveling in their greed and corruption... nobody wanted to support them for a better life because they weren't worth supporting.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

Unfortunately, America and its NATO allies lost this war.

Leaving doesn't mean losing.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

“The iconic Taliban flag”? It’s the flag of an oppressive group, not the cover for Nevermind. Come on, caption writer.

1 ( +3 / -2 )

We hear a lot about the less than 3,000 who died in the US on 9/11 but very little about the equally innocent men, women and children who died in Afghanistan and Iraq after due to the US's need to show it wasn't impotent. The number who died in the US is tiny in comparison. Their lives don't matter?

Casualties on the day of 9/11, 2996. More than 2,000 deaths have been attributed to 9/11 illnesses since then.

That said, casualties in Afghanistan numbered so high due to the Taliban attempt to protect the terrorists who planned the assult on America. If they had helped arrest and break up terrorist cells in their nation they would have remained in power and saved many lives. The Taliban killed more in Afghanistan through suicide bombings and continued fighting Afghan national forces than Coalition forces who were only attempting to target terrorists.

Anyone who dies due to war is a sad and needless loss. Wars should be outlawed period. Everyone gets one life and to lose it at someone else's actions or desires is outrageous.

We do not live in a perfect world and we do nothing to create it. Wars will happen and depending on which side your on (if any) depends on which deaths are more tragic. That is not fair but it is true.

Americans were attacked so they hit back. Do not expect them to do nothing to stop it happening again. Attack a giant, expect to get stomped on. Attack the weak and you may get away with it.

Taliban now attacking rights of women, and they will get away with it. If they protect terrorists who attack major nations be it US or Russia or China, they should again expect to be stomped on.

Let us see if they learned anything at all in the past twenty years. So far the answer looks like no.

0 ( +2 / -2 )

Unfortunately, America and its NATO allies lost this war.

No they won the war.

They lost the peace due to not building the Afghani infrastructure to support its military and equipment natively. No techs, no engineers, no supply lines, no comms experts etc.

Easy to throw a uniform on a guy and give him a gun, show him how to reload it and march and even to fight but anyone who has served knows for every person in the field there is nine support personnel backing him up. They built and trained fighters but not the support system to maintain it. That was done by outsiders who left with the American pull out. Collapse of their military was inevitable given its flawed design.

0 ( +2 / -2 )

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites