world

Bilingualism in Canada falls for first time in 40 years

4 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© 2013 AFP

©2022 GPlusMedia Inc.

4 Comments
Login to comment

Oh merde!! How can our bilingual friends let this happen in Canada! While more and more Chinese speakers are taking over Vancouver??

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

Heh, what makes me laugh, is that only 43% of Quebec residents speak French. Not even half!

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

Heh, what makes me laugh, is that only 43% of Quebec residents speak French. Not even half!

43% are bilingual. Of the remaining 57%, I suspect most of them are French-speaking.

The slowdown in biligualism occurred in tandem with the decline in the proportion of students exposed to French as a second language,

Does this mean more students are attending private school, where they might not need to bother with French classes.

-16 ( +1 / -17 )

Heh, what makes me laugh, is that only 43% of Quebec residents speak French. Not even half!

Wow. How people who laugh without any understanding make themselves fodder for laughter.

Of the remaining 57%, I suspect most of them are French-speaking.

You would be correct. The vast majority are.

Growing up in a downriver community of Detroit (Dearborn), Canada was just a few miles away and we visited Windsor (Ontario) on an average of once a month. Thanks to our proximity, I started to pick up a lot of French from radio stations, TV shows and product labels.

My favorite visits to Canada came when I went to Quebec, where I could practice more. People could easily tell my French was basic, but everyone seemed to appreciate my efforts and enthusiasm. My favorite town became Sherbrooke, which is the most bilingual place I have ever been to. It seemed like everyone in that city was fluent in English as well as Quebec's predominant language.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites