world

Fears of new virus trigger anti-China sentiment worldwide

52 Comments
By HYUNG-JIN KIM

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

©2020 GPlusMedia Inc.


52 Comments

Comments have been disabled You can no longer respond to this thread.

This is all China's fault, they have no one to blame but themselves. It is unfortunate but not unexpected.

10 ( +24 / -14 )

Well. People should not be too surprised about these incidents. According to news outlets on Monday at Nagoya airport, on a China Southern Airline flight to Shanghai, 70 Chinese passengers from Shanghai refused to travel together with 16 passengers from Wuhan. Even all passengers were checked for any fevers. Some even immediately posted the incident on an China's social media site and prompted a number of residents back in Shanghai to call and complained to the government agencies. At the end the flight was delayed for 5 hours. The 16 Wuhan passengers left with other passengers on that flight. The 70 Shanghai passengers were arranged to broad any flight home. The Chinese in Wuhan are facing discrimination from Chinese living in other states.

21 ( +22 / -1 )

This is all China's fault, they have no one to blame but themselves

No, stuff that China does is China’s fault. Stuff that racist idiots do is on the racist idiots.

-3 ( +18 / -21 )

China had a chance to make major changes after the 2002-2003 SARS outbreak proved that the Chinese practice of keeping live wildlife in cages in these "wet markets" was a risk.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-sars/china-scientists-say-sars-civet-cat-link-proved-idUSPEK23793120061123

The SARS outbreak also should have taught China the need for transparebcy to deal with such outbreaks as soon as possible.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-chinas-deception-on-sars-worsened-the-outbreak-will-it-be-any-more/

20 ( +27 / -7 )

Since we don't know the fate of those who were infected and did not die (rate of consequences and contamination duration), it remains hazardous to believe on command what China says.

Whenever possible, I avoid tourist spots in my country by rational precaution (France is crowded with Chinese leaving/going).

12 ( +13 / -1 )

China can't blame the world for their own mess. This will happen again and again in China until China faces the fact that their unsanitary and food handling methods are a grave safety concern. China is living in medieval times they way they handle livestock.

China even tried to, ONCE AGAIN, block the warnings from Chinese doctors on December 30, 2019 that this was new Coronavirus and it was dangerous. The Chinese government force them to stop 'spreading rumours'. Well, clearly they weren't rumours. When will China learn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE7Iz7HLpYg

19 ( +20 / -1 )

A scary new virus from China has spread around the world. So has rising anti-Chinese sentiment, calls for a full travel ban on Chinese visitors

I have not heard of a "travel ban on Chinese visitors", only on travel bans on visitors from China, which is obviously not the same thing. Fake news?

-17 ( +2 / -19 )

There is little wonder the world is fearful and distrustful of China. It is only right that more nations every day are banning travellers from China. The Communist Chinese leaders have learnt nothing from their past man-made disasters.

9 ( +13 / -4 )

There is a ‘call’ for there to be a travel ban on Chinese visitors-at present there is not!

And in the circumstances with the virus being asymptomatic and with certain individuals knowingly taking overseas trips whilst infected then I am in agreement...

7 ( +8 / -1 )

Restaurants in South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and Vietnam have refused to accept Chinese customers

The most interesting thing about this article is that it's a Japanese news agency speaking about worldwide sentiment yet all the photos are of Korea. Lol

7 ( +12 / -5 )

JJ JetplaneToday  05:39 pm JST

The most interesting thing about this article is that it's a Japanese news agency speaking about worldwide sentiment yet all the photos are of Korea. Lol

© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press.

10 ( +14 / -4 )

Sounds like it was the goal from the beginning. to create a hate feeling to Chinese.

they are probably victim from other countries politic strategies. we are not naif...

We love you people of China! peace be with you.

-17 ( +2 / -19 )

Judging by the incidents described, the level of racism in Asia is a lot higher than in the West.

11 ( +14 / -3 )

IMO it is the CCP government and not necessarily the common people. The know full well what kind of government they have but what can they do if they have no human rights or the tools to make a change in their hands.

8 ( +8 / -0 )

Judging by the incidents described, the level of racism in Asia is a lot higher than in the West.

LOL, Maybe you should read:

1)two Chinese tourists being spat at by a group of children in Venice, and three Chinese tourists being insulted in a restaurant in Turin.

2) One tourist was reportedly prevented from entering Pompeii’s archaeological park, another was insulted on a train, and a Chinese boy playing in a football match near Milan was told by an opponent: “I hope you get the virus too.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/spate-of-anti-chinese-incidents-in-italy-amid-coronavirus-panic

LOL

-2 ( +6 / -8 )

@rainyday

No, stuff that China does is China’s fault. Stuff that racist idiots do is on the racist idiots.

It isn't racist if most of the countries are other Asian countries barring virus-infected Asians from entering their country to protect their people. The Western countries (countries not in Asia) are simply quarantining visitors for 14 days before allowing them to enter the public sphere!

The Chinese citizens from Shanghai refused to board a flight with other Chinese citizens from Wuhan.

Where is the racism again?

Judging by the incidents described, the level of racism in Asia is a lot higher than in the West.

The real problem will be against foreigners trapped in China. They will be alienated without any support system like local Chinese. I doubt the Chinese will be prioritizing the well-being of the foreigners over Chinese citizens.

Where are the foreigners going to get food and supplies from if this lasts a longtime or get worse? Their relatives won't be bring face masks for them.

7 ( +8 / -1 )

two Chinese tourists being spat at by a group of children in Venice, and three Chinese tourists being insulted in a restaurant in Turin.

@Sumikonagoya

It is pretty well established that there are racists in Europe (e.g. colonialism, concentration camps, slavery). I have been to Europe. You only need to go to a football game in Europe to see racism.

However, I don't really think this situation is a clear example of racism, and I have no problem calling out racism when I see it. I think that is just basic discrimination because Asians as well as non-Asians are discriminating for the same reason.

Whether it is right or wrong is another matter, but a lot of the blame falls on China (the public and especially the government).

6 ( +7 / -1 )

@OssanAmerica

© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press.

Thanks for the information. When I went to look at the article and photos came from the Associated Press South Korea section. Until today, I had no idea they had a South Korea section.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

@Jeff Lee

Judging by the incidents described, the level of racism in Asia is a lot higher than in the West.

It's not racism. Its widespread fear and panic. Also ignorance because of a lack of information.

5 ( +6 / -1 )

Just wow.. They mentioned all these countries Japan, South Korea, US, HK, Denmark, Germany, France, Australia, even tiny NZ, but guess which one country is missing? ENGLAND. The country with the most racism and discrimination is of course not mentioned by the English media. Shocking. I already watched couple of videos and read several news about vile racism against Asians in England, but of course their media would rather mention tiny NZ and Denmark rather than their own country. JT is constantly bombarding us with domestic English news as if people living in Japan care about domestic issues in England, yet they would never mention or publish anything negative of their country. Those are the benefits of having the international media in the palm of your hands.

6 ( +8 / -2 )

The Chinese citizens from Shanghai refused to board a flight with other Chinese citizens from Wuhan.

Where is the racism again?

Below is my last sentence from my original post:

The Chinese in Wuhan are facing discrimination from Chinese living in other states.

I never said 'racism'. I said 'discrimination' which in this case is far worst than 'racism' since they are discriminating their own compatriots during a national crisis.

4 ( +6 / -2 )

China has suffered more than any other country in this latest viral outbreak. Rather than hatred, they deserve our compassion.

5 ( +6 / -1 )

The Chinese in Wuhan are facing discrimination from Chinese living in other states.

I never said 'racism'. I said 'discrimination' which in this case is far worst than 'racism' since they are discriminating their own compatriots during a national crisis.

@Yoshisan88

I never said that you called it racism. It was directed at @rainyday.

I specifically mentioned him by name.

2 ( +2 / -0 )

I don't want this virus to spread in Japan but at the same time this anti-China racist movement which many call it the Yellow Peril, they call it East Asia virus. They are not only racist but look down on Asians. We should help China a neighbor, important economic friend, a country willing to move on from the pain of the past towards a better future together.

We are better people than this! I don't want Japan's name to be next to this bias, racist countries.

Fact: White countries have spread so much disease they killed millions of Indians, indigenous people. Took slaves by the millions from Africa... Let's not talk about that part. Let's feel superior to Asians and Chinese instead.

-5 ( +5 / -10 )

. We should help China a neighbor, important economic friend

Ha! You've changed your tune!

3 ( +3 / -0 )

It isn't racist if most of the countries are other Asian countries barring virus-infected Asians from entering their country to protect their people. The Western countries (countries not in Asia) are simply quarantining visitors for 14 days before allowing them to enter the public sphere!

The Chinese citizens from Shanghai refused to board a flight with other Chinese citizens from Wuhan. 

Where is the racism again?

Didn’t you read the article, full of descriptions of people being subject to racism, many of whom have never even been to China but simply have Chinese ancestry?

I have no problem with quarantines or travel bans to fight this. But the stupid racist displays highlighted in the article, which have nothing to do with protecting health, is where you’ll find the racism.

1 ( +5 / -4 )

with all that anti China stuff and bans, China might conceal more information and even lower more than now the true figures about coronavirus. transparency will even be worst

4 ( +4 / -0 )

China has suffered more than any other country in this latest viral outbreak. Rather than hatred, they deserve our compassion.

No argument here. The Chinese people at the bottom have been treated with contempt by the unelected Communist government, and their mega-rich up the top, who despise them. They are the ones who will suffer. You can rest assured Lifetime Emperor Xi is being shielded from the virus. He has been notably absent in all this, a real "man of the people"...not.

2 ( +4 / -2 )

The most interesting thing about this article is that it's a Japanese news agency speaking about worldwide sentiment yet all the photos are of Korea. Lol

The story is posted in the World section. Seems appropriate.

3 ( +3 / -0 )

Didn’t you read the article, full of descriptions of people being subject to racism, many of whom have never even been to China but simply have Chinese ancestry?

I have no problem with quarantines or travel bans to fight this. But the stupid racist displays highlighted in the article, which have nothing to do with protecting health, is where you’ll find the racism.

@rainyday

The problem is many people throw the word "racism" around all the time but don't really know what it means and use it incorrectly. Racism is a tool used so one race can maintain dominance and control over another race. That is why people argue that Black Americans technically cannot be racist towards White Americans, but they can discriminate against them.

This situation with the coronavirus is a clear example of discrimination. Chinese and other Asians generally cannot be racist against other Chinese/Asians. One reason is they are the same race if you believe races exist. Second both Asians and non-Asians are discriminating against the Chinese at the moment. Therefore, race is not the primary factor.

Since racism is one kind of discrimination I will concede that some racists are participating in bashing the Chinese. Racists are opportunists by nature, so they will take any chance to belittle other races to make themselves feel better.

However, banning Chinese tourists or quarantining them until the incubation is over, and/or the problem resolved is reasonable. As long as they are treated reasonably, humanely and respectfully then I see no problem with it at this point. Also, they must be kept in formed and told the truth about what is happening.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

with all that anti China stuff and bans, China might conceal more information and even lower more than now the true figures about coronavirus. transparency will even be worst

I agree!

2 ( +2 / -0 )

My opinion about China and the Chinese has not been influenced by this virus.

7 ( +7 / -0 )

I love Chinese food and will up our weekly visits to the local mom-n-pop Chinese restaurant. The risk of any infection here is so very low and these people are my neighbors. They deserve my support.

As for the Chinese govt, their system of govt and economics was setup long ago. They have been using the most favorable international rules to their advantage for decades. They will never give up "Developing Nation" status. They've said that. Add in their state sponsored espionage efforts and world-wide hacking and treatment of ethnic minorities and Tibet and Hong Kong and Taiwan ...

The virus actions for any govt will always start out as overly cautious, don't harm the economy, before the spreading nature is discovered. China moved quickly to restrict movement outside the troubled areas. Other countries have learned to be cautious when told anything about diseases by the CCP.

There is mistrust of the CCP from all those causes, which aren't caused by external forces.

4 ( +4 / -0 )

There is mistrust of the CCP from all those causes, which aren't caused by external forces.

Well, said!

3 ( +3 / -0 )

Let’s stop the madness of discriminating against Chinese and Asians. This is a regional virus that must be contained. Chinese nationals are just as worried about infection as everyone else, so not only is discriminating against Chinese and Asians wrong, it’s unscientific. Viruses can start anywhere in the world and do not care what its hosts looks like. If it spreads, anyone can potentially contract it, meaning xenophobia won’t help you. Only logical medical practices are the solution.

7 ( +7 / -0 )

HJSLLS:

Let’s stop the madness of discriminating against Chinese and Asians. This is a regional virus that must be contained.

Increasingly it looks like it is too late for that. The Peking goverment kept it hidden too long, and other governments were (are) too slow in stopping travel from China.

1 ( +4 / -3 )

With or without virus nothing change, viruses are not the only problem coming from China..

0 ( +4 / -4 )

Numan: Racism is a tool used so one race can maintain dominance and control over another race. That is why people argue that Black Americans technically cannot be racist towards White Americans, but they can discriminate against them.

This is a reinterpretation of the word racism for the purposes of fundamentally transforming America into a nation of groups rather than individuals with equal rights whose future depends upon their own abilities. It is the gaslighting of the gullible to believe that racial discrimination isn’t racial discrimination as-long-as the right people are the targets of it. This idea that racism is not a universal concept came into prominence, ironically, during a period of time when America was ruled by a black man and a black Attorney General.

There are cases in which some are fearful of Chinese people because the media is talking about this serious problem constantly. It is natural for people to be concerned with their mortality. It is sad that random Chinese are subject to fear but that isn’t the same as discrimination.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

The problem is many people throw the word "racism" around all the time but don't really know what it means and use it incorrectly. Racism is a tool used so one race can maintain dominance and control over another race.

If you think this is all just a problem of semantics, you really have your eyes closed.

Also, the dictionary disagrees with your definition.

-2 ( +1 / -3 )

@Wolfpack

This idea that racism is not a universal concept came into prominence, ironically, during a period of time when America was ruled by a black man and a black Attorney General.

That is utter nonsense! Where is the evidence?

This is a reinterpretation of the word racism for the purposes of fundamentally transforming America into a nation of groups rather than individuals with equal rights whose future depends upon their own abilities. 

The US was a nation founded on slavery and segregation which means your statement has never been true in the entire history of the country.

1 ( +3 / -2 )

@rainyday

If you think this is all just a problem of semantics, you really have your eyes closed.

Also, the dictionary disagrees with your definition.

There is a reason why dictionaries exist and have specific meanings not your own personal meanings because most people have no clue what they are talking about.

Google wrote:

racism - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. (ie. Asians can't be racists against other Asians. It is in the definition.)

0 ( +1 / -1 )

@rainyday

If you think this is all just a problem of semantics, you really have your eyes closed.

Also, the dictionary disagrees with your definition.

Here is one more for safe measure!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/

POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Racial discrimination is also prejudice against people of other races and a refusal to give them their rights.

So.......

The problem is many people throw the word "racism" around all the time but don't really know what it means and use it incorrectly. Racism is a tool used so one race can maintain dominance and control over another race. That is why people argue that Black Americans technically cannot be racist towards White Americans, but they can discriminate against them.

Yeah.......I am right!

0 ( +1 / -1 )

There is a reason why dictionaries exist and have specific meanings not your own personal meanings because most people have no clue what they are talking about.

> Google wrote:

> racism - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. (ie. Asians can't be racists against other Asians. It is in the definition.)

Yes, which is why I read a dictionary before commenting. The definition you quote here is different from what you said earlier which was:

Racism is a tool used so one race can maintain dominance and control over another race.

The Google definition you quote says nothing about maintaining dominance and control, it just says that the prejudice, discrimination or antagonism be based on a belief in the superiority of one's race over others. Many instances of racism involve people believing in the superiority of their own race without having any actual dominance or control over others.

Also "Asians can't be racist against other Asians" is an obnoxious statement. First its irrelevant in the context since a lot of the examples cited in the article involve incidents perpetrated by non-Asians. Second, most of these are not against "Asians" in general, but "Chinese" in particular and yeah, unless you know absolutely nothing about this continent there is a ton of animosity between the various nationalities that exist in it based on belief in one's superiority.

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

The Google definition you quote says nothing about maintaining dominance and control, it just says that the prejudice, discrimination or antagonism be based on a belief in the superiority of one's race over others. Many instances of racism involve people believing in the superiority of their own race without having any actual dominance or control over others.

@rainyday

LOL! You are just going to ignore the other definition in my post right above yours from Cambridge that actually lists discrimination in different situations (e.g. Politics and Government).

Also "Asians can't be racist against other Asians" is an obnoxious statement. First its irrelevant in the context since a lot of the examples cited in the article involve incidents perpetrated by non-Asians. Second, most of these are not against "Asians" in general, but "Chinese" in particular and yeah, unless you know absolutely nothing about this continent there is a ton of animosity between the various nationalities that exist in it based on belief in one's superiority.

LOL! A statement being obnoxious to you personally does not make it wrong!

First its irrelevant in the context since a lot of the examples cited in the article involve incidents perpetrated by non-Asians.

Is it irrelevant because it makes your argument weaker? Asians are also listed in the articles as examples.

Second, most of these are not against "Asians" in general, but "Chinese" in particular and yeah, unless you know absolutely nothing about this continent there is a ton of animosity between the various nationalities that exist in it based on belief in one's superiority.

LOL! Chinese is not a race! It is a culture! Not racism (same race), but it is discrimination! Read a dictionary!

You are all over the place "grasping at straws". Trying your best to be correct because you feel it.

You have not proving that anything that I have said is wrong.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

LOL! Chinese is not a race! It is a culture! 

Or a nationality, etc...., but definitely not a race!

Second, most of these are not against "Asians" in general, but "Chinese" in particular and yeah, unless you know absolutely nothing about this continent there is a ton of animosity between the various nationalities that exist in it based on belief in one's superiority.

You mean the continent of Asia? Where most of its inhabitants are Asian? (i.e. the same race)

0 ( +1 / -1 )

LOL! You are just going to ignore the other definition in my post right above yours from Cambridge that actually lists discrimination in different situations (e.g. Politics and Government).

I don't know where you got that definition you quoted. When I look up "racism" in the Cambridge dictionary you linked to I get:

the belief that other races of people are not as good as your own

Again, nothing about power or domination which you use as a definition. Lets also take a look at your new definition of it though:

Racial discrimination is also prejudice against people of other races and a refusal to give them their rights.

This is not a definition of the term "racism" but rather a statement giving an example of something that constitutes "racial discrimination". Its not the same thing.

LOL! A statement being obnoxious to you personally does not make it wrong!

No, the fact that you are wrong makes you wrong. The fact that you are being wrong in an obnoxious way is just an aside.

Is it irrelevant because it makes your argument weaker? Asians are also listed in the articles as examples.

Its irrelevant because the question you originally asked was "where is the racism?" The fact that some examples involve other Asian nationalities doesn't mean that the ones which clearly involve non-Asians expressing racism towards Asians don't exist.

LOL! Chinese is not a race! It is a culture! Not racism (same race), but it is discrimination! Read a dictionary!

Well lets look "race" up in the dictionary, shall we? From the same Cambridge dictionary you like:

one of the groups that people are divided into, having the same colour skin or hair and other things that are the same

Its a pretty broad definition which can include simply a group of people having "other things that are the same". Such as nationality. So anti-Chinese sentiment certainly falls into the category of "racism".

You are all over the place "grasping at straws". Trying your best to be correct because you feel it.

> You have not proving that anything that I have said is wrong.

I'm literally just pointing out how your own dictionaries disagree with you. No need to feel bad about it.

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

Its irrelevant because the question you originally asked was "where is the racism?" The fact that some examples involve other Asian nationalities doesn't mean that the ones which clearly involve non-Asians expressing racism towards Asians don't exist.

It does because both the Asians and non-Asians are discriminating against the Chinese for the same reasons.

theFu wrote:

There is mistrust of the CCP from all those causes, which aren't caused by external forces.

They are not talking about racism! Racists may want to jump on board, but it is not the main reason.

Second, most of these are not against "Asians" in general, but "Chinese" in particular and yeah, unless you know absolutely nothing about this continent there is a ton of animosity between the various nationalities that exist in it based on belief in one's superiority.

You said it yourself that other Asians on the continent of Asia have animosity towards the Chinese. Where is the racism? I see discrimination. I see nationalism.

Make up your mind! Are the other Asians not relevant? Or are they relevant? You can't seem to decide!

No, the fact that you are wrong makes you wrong. The fact that you are being wrong in an obnoxious way is just an aside.

You call people obnoxious because they find fault in your logic, and you can't defend against it.

Its a pretty broad definition which can include simply a group of people having "other things that are the same". Such as nationality. So anti-Chinese sentiment certainly falls into the category of "racism".

LOL! Based on your logic, all Americans are the same race. Ha Ha!

Well lets look "race" up in the dictionary, shall we? From the same Cambridge dictionary you like:

one of the groups that people are divided into, having the same colour skin or hair and other things that are the same

LOL! They are describing biological traits. Nationality is cultural and historical.

No wonder you are confused. Your reading and understanding of basic definitions are faulty.

You don't know the difference between nationality and race. Thus, nationalism and racism are not the same thing. The more you post the more your lack of understanding is bubbling to the surface.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

No wonder you are confused. Your reading and understanding of basic definitions are faulty.

You don't know the difference between nationality and race. Thus, nationalism and racism are not the same thing. The more you post the more your lack of understanding is bubbling to the surface.

Well, said!

1 ( +2 / -1 )

Well, if nothing else this pointless exercise in throwing dictionary terms back and forth has certainly shown how silly I was to accuse you of only being concerned about semantics rather than substance. Well done.

Also if you have two accounts that you use simultaneously to make it look like you've got other commenters backing you up, it would be best to avoid using the same idiosyncrasies (like starting each sentence with an "LOL!") in your writing, its a dead giveaway.

-2 ( +0 / -2 )

Readers, that ends the arguing on this point.

Its not just the LOL!s, its the fact that your combative obsession with such a mundane point in a day old news item carries over between both of your accounts, which write in the exact same voice with the exact same style of writing. And that within 4 minutes of one posting the other is complimenting it on a comment thread that everyone else has long moved on from. And that your comment histories reveal near word for word identical posts being made across both accounts.

Sorry, you are busted.

-2 ( +0 / -2 )

Shucks! I should have patented LOL!

Then I wanted the word "the"! I am going to get paid!

0 ( +1 / -1 )

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites