world

Gas leak may have killed 21 youths in South Africa tavern

1 Comment
By Tannur Anders and Tim Cocks

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Thomson Reuters 2022.

©2022 GPlusMedia Inc.

1 Comment
Login to comment

Natural gas methane is odorless and colorless.

In the developed parts of the world, a distinctive smell is added using mercaptan (rotten egg smell) so any gas leak is quickly known and people all know to go outside and not cause any sparks or flames. But this breaks down when the leak happens in nature, like from coal mines.

Coal mines in ZA have been found to have huge gas leaks thanks to space science. https://africanews.space/satellite-detects-large-methane-leak-in-south-africas-coal-mining-region/

I guessed CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning in the prior story here. CO is also odorless and colorless. I doubt CO detectors are required in ZA. They are here, on every floor and near any equipment prone to releasing CO. I wasn't able to find any laws/codes mandating CO detectors in ZA. New rules from May 2021 around fire detectors were found which are about the same as most European countries. Those rules required 2 major fires to become the standard. Hopefully, CO detectors will quickly become standard now that 21 people have died.

0 ( +0 / -0 )

Login to leave a comment

Facebook users

Use your Facebook account to login or register with JapanToday. By doing so, you will also receive an email inviting you to receive our news alerts.

Facebook Connect

Login with your JapanToday account

User registration

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites