Take our user survey and make your voice heard.
Aftermath of an Israeli strike on a house in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip
People and rescuers work to recover the dead body of a Palestinian trapped under the rubble of a house hit in an Israeli strike, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Nuseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip, May 14, 2024. REUTERS/Ramadan Abed Image: Reuters/Ramadan Abed
world

Israeli tanks push deeper into Rafah; battles rage in northern Gaza

86 Comments
By Nidal al-Mughrabi

Israeli tanks pushed deeper into eastern Rafah on Tuesday, reaching some residential districts of the southern Gazan border city where more than a million people had been sheltering and stoking fears of further civilian casualties.

Israel's international allies and aid groups have repeatedly warned against a ground incursion into refugee-packed Rafah, where Israel says four Hamas battalions are holed up. Israel says the operation is needed to root out the remaining fighters.

Fighting has intensified elsewhere across the Gaza Strip in recent days, including in the north, with the Israeli military heading back into areas where it had claimed to have dismantled Hamas months ago.

Fierce gun battles were continuing late on Tuesday in northern Gaza's Jabalia, a sprawling refugee camp built for displaced Palestinians 75 years ago.

"Many people are being trapped in their houses. We lost contact with some relatives after they were warned by the army in phone calls to leave and they refused," Nasser, 57, a father of six, told Reuters, using an international phone card.

In Rafah, which borders Egypt, Palestinian residents on Tuesday afternoon said they could see smoke billowing above eastern districts of the city and heard explosions after Israel bombarded a cluster of houses.

Hamas' armed wing, the Qassam Brigades, said it had destroyed an Israeli troop carrier with an Al-Yassin 105 missile in the eastern Al-Salam district, killing some crew members and wounding others.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) declined to comment on the report.

In a round-up of its activities, the IDF said its forces had eliminated "several armed terrorist" cells in close-quarter fighting on the Gazan side of the Rafah border crossing with Egypt. In the east of the city, it said it had also destroyed militant cells and a launch post from where missiles were being fired at IDF troops.

'NOWHERE IS SAFE NOW'

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was appalled by Israel's escalation in and around Rafah and by Hamas' indiscriminate firing of rockets there, his spokesperson said on Tuesday.

"Civilians must be respected and protected at all times, in Rafah and elsewhere in Gaza. For people in Gaza, nowhere is safe now," Stephane Dujarric said, adding that Guterres again called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz said on Tuesday Egypt must be "persuaded" to reopen the Rafah border crossing to "allow the continued delivery of international humanitarian aid" into Gaza.

His comment prompted an angry response from Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry who said in a statement that Israel's seizure of the Rafah crossing and its military operations in the area were the main obstacles to aid entering Gaza.

UNRWA, the main United Nations aid agency in Gaza, estimates some 450,000 people have fled Rafah since May 6.

The war has pushed much of Gaza's population to the brink of famine, the U.N. says, and has devastated its medical facilities, where hospitals, if working at all, are running short of fuel to power generators and other essential supplies.

The World Court, also known as the International Court of Justice (ICJ), said it would hold hearings on Thursday and Friday to discuss a request by South Africa seeking new emergency measures over the Rafah incursion, which Qatar says has stalled efforts to reach a ceasefire.

South Africa's demand is part of a case it brought against Israel accusing it of violating the genocide convention in Gaza, and which Israel has called baseless. Israel will provide its views on the latest petition on Friday, the ICJ said.

Israel issued evacuation orders for people to move from parts of eastern Rafah a week ago, with a second round of orders extending to further zones on Saturday.

They are moving to tracts of land such as Al-Mawasi, a sandy strip bordering the coast that aid agencies say lacks sanitary and other facilities to host an influx of displaced people.

DEATH TOLL SPIKES

The Palestinian death toll in the war has now surpassed 35,000, according to Gaza health officials, whose figures do not differentiate between civilians and fighters. It said that 82 Palestinians were killed in the past 24 hours, the highest death toll in a single day in many weeks.

Israel launched its Gaza operation following an attack on Oct. 7 by Hamas-led gunmen who killed some 1,200 people and took more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

In the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza City in the north, Israeli bulldozers demolished clusters of houses on Tuesday to make a new road for tanks to roll through into the eastern suburb.

A strike on a house in Beit Lahiya, northern Gaza, killed seven people and wounded several others, medics said.

The IDF said it had killed dozens of Hamas fighters in Jabalia and dismantled a network of explosives, while in Zeitoun it located tunnel shafts and destroyed several rocket launchers.

With fighting intensifying, Qatar's Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani said ceasefire talks, mediated by his country and Egypt, were at a stalemate.

© Thomson Reuters 2024.

©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.


86 Comments

Comments have been disabled You can no longer respond to this thread.

The Palestinian death toll in the war has now surpassed 35,000,

It will be more since occupier really doesn't care about that number.

Not only that occupier civilian being left freely to disrupt and block humanitarian aid for those refugees. So occupier not only want their land through settlement, they also want those people to be in pain an suffer.

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2024/5/14/israeli-protesters-attack-aid-trucks-destined-for-gaza

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cg300jek94zo

-3 ( +11 / -14 )

The Palestinian death toll in the war has now surpassed 35,000,

It will be more since occupier really doesn't care about that number.

Hamas certainly doesnt care.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was appalled by Israel's escalation in and around Rafah and by Hamas' indiscriminate firing of rockets there, his spokesperson said on Tuesday.

-8 ( +7 / -15 )

@Toblerone

If so where is precision targeting, beside that occupier bring bulldozer. An excuse for another settlement?

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2024/4/24/what-is-israels-bulldozer-strategy-in-the-occupied-west-bank

.

Also check this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWRboGsn-oA&t=1748s

if target is already known, occupier should ask more precision weapon, however what being asked and given are kind of weapon that can demolish entire block of neighborhood. That includes potentially killing hostages that supposedly try to rescue.

-1 ( +9 / -10 )

It time for Palestinians to strike the iron,while the fire is hot,for the final liberation of Palestine,while the world is on your side, Liberation today, Liberation today, Liberation always

-1 ( +10 / -11 )

Hams it's leadership are long gone with the hostages. Netanyahu will find NOTHING in Rafah except the corpses of children, infants, women, and the elderly killed by his indiscriminate bombing of civilians.

Israel is now entangled is a Guerrilla Warfare that will NOT end by Hamas surrendering , not gonna happen for sure or it would have happened by now.

No one expected Hamas and it's Resistance Fighters to fight as well as they are, and after 7+ month of constant fighting there is NO going back.

1 ( +7 / -6 )

It will be more since occupier really doesn't care about that number.

Then why haven’t more people been killed? Why have they issued evacuation orders? Why haven’t they leveled the entirety of Gaza? If Israel “didn’t care” they’re actions don’t make sense

Not only that occupier civilian being left freely to disrupt and block humanitarian aid for those refugees.

They were arrested

So occupier not only want their land through settlement, they also want those people to be in pain an suffer.

Why did Israel leave Gaza in 2005 if they actually want to settle in Gaza. It makes no sense

-7 ( +5 / -12 )

Hamas certainly doesnt care.

Very true. They’ve been firing rockets out of Rafah as recently as May 10th

-1 ( +7 / -8 )

The greatest pleasure is to crush your enemies, steal their wealth and hear the lamentations of their women

Genghis Khan said something akin to this.

Israel has moved back into that era....the difference being Israel not defeating armed soldiers of the Hamas resistance but doing a good job killing women and children.

Blinkin has opposed the Raffa invasion, and says Israel IDF tactics are non existent.

There is no end game or plan for the day after war ends.

The UN will again sanction Israel for not complying with a direction to allow aid into Gaza and meanwhile Israeli people continue to shop, eat at restaurants, go home to families as if the war is on another planet.

-1 ( +8 / -9 )

Netanyahu will find NOTHING in Rafah except the corpses of children, infants, women, and the elderly killed by his indiscriminate bombing of civilians.

And Hamas militants / rockets

”Hamas launched nine rockets from the southern Gaza city of Rafah toward the Israeli city of Beersheba on May 10.”

https://www.fdd.org/analysis/2024/05/11/israel-expands-rafah-operation-after-hamas-launches-rockets-at-beersheba/

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

@JboneInTheZone

Because is already attracting worldwide attention, Turkey and Columbia already cut ties with occupier.

Many countries already aware about genocide, the worlds is not blind

https://www.newsweek.com/full-list-countries-voted-give-palestine-un-power-1899399

.

Then why haven’t more people been killed? Why have they issued evacuation orders? Why haven’t they leveled the entirety of Gaza? If Israel “didn’t care” they’re actions don’t make sense

Because occupier fund and munition for genocide currently being hold by many countries.

https://www.euronews.com/2024/02/12/court-orders-netherlands-to-stop-exporting-fighter-jet-parts-to-israel-over-gaza-war

https://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2024/05/14/key-suppliers-of-arms-to-israel-who-halted-weapon-exports/

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/05/israel-us-ammunition-shipment-hold

-2 ( +7 / -9 )

Israel can't defeat Hamas so they slaughter innocent civilians instead. Scumbags and cowards.

-3 ( +6 / -9 )

Many countries already aware about genocide, the worlds is not blind

Its not a genocide

Because occupier fund and munition for genocide currently being hold by many countries.

The majority of Israel’s military equipment is locally produced with only about 15% of American aid accounting for their military budget. They don’t need foreign aid to continue on.

-5 ( +6 / -11 )

Israel can't defeat Hamas so they slaughter innocent civilians instead. Scumbags and cowards.

Hamas shouldn’t use them as human shields

-8 ( +4 / -12 )

Had the 7 October massacre of 1200, the taking of hostages never occurred Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu could well have been voted out of office, in effect disappearing politically without trace.

Now we have a Palestinian people, any possibility of a future independent state homeland in ruins.

Benjamin Netanyahu agenda in this war has slowly but surely morphed spread into a means to justify a major middle eastern conflict, on the assertion that Israel, Judaism, its very existence is at stake.

4 ( +6 / -2 )

Hamas shouldn’t use them as human shields

They don't. Israel kills indiscriminately

-2 ( +7 / -9 )

They don't. Israel kills indiscriminately

They do. Operating out of civilian areas automatically designates civilians as human shields according to international law

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/israel-photos-hamas-gaza-weapons-un-facilities-including-schools/

-6 ( +6 / -12 )

@JboneInTheZone

shouldn’t use them as human shields

It wasn't human shields, it was deliberately killing.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/9/israeli-snipers-kill-21-civilians-outside-gazas-besieged-nasser-hospital

.

Occupier also actively targeting UN worker

https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/05/14/gaza-israelis-attacking-known-aid-worker-locations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/05/13/un-worker-killed-rafah-israel-gaza/

0 ( +9 / -9 )

They do.

They don't. They operate underground.

Operating out of civilian areas automatically designates civilians as human shields according to international law

They are trapped in Gaza. They operate underground and don't use civilians as shields. IF they did the IDF would have killed more of them by now

-1 ( +7 / -8 )

JboneInTheZone

Today 07:45 am JST

It will be more since occupier really doesn't care about that number.

> Then why haven’t more people been killed? Why have they issued evacuation orders? Why haven’t they leveled the entirety of Gaza? If Israel “didn’t care” they’re actions don’t make sense

This is your only attempt at an excuse!

You keep going on why haven't more been killed as if it is that simple to kill millions! Well despite your last post saying if Israel wanted to kill them all they would use nukes (yeah like that would be a safe option for Israel itself) killing tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands etc...with conventional weapons isn't as easy as you claim or think, ask Germany!

So basically you are just repeating the same excuse over and over.

The fact the Palestinians moved each time to where Israel said to then Israel targeted that exact area tells us they are trying to kill as many as possible and scare the rest to feel to Egypt and seize the land!

Not only that occupier civilian being left freely to disrupt and block humanitarian aid for those refugees.

> They were arrested

Really any proof?

So occupier not only want their land through settlement, they also want those people to be in pain an suffer.

> Why did Israel leave Gaza in 2005 if they actually want to settle in Gaza. It makes no sense

Because they planned and did split the Palestinian authority and Hamas and then the moved those settlements into the West Bank, against the agreement, the increased the agreed 140 settlements to the now 280 an extra 140 illegally built against the agreement Israel signed and added another 400,000 settlers in the West Bank!

Israel then took by force more land in the west bank also in violation of the written agreement.

A divide and conquer move, which is backfiring because Hamas decided to fight!

2 ( +8 / -6 )

Many countries already aware about genocide, the worlds is not blind

Its not a genocide

It is a genocide. Only an IDIOT would think otherwise.

-2 ( +7 / -9 )

Then why haven’t more people been killed? Why have they issued evacuation orders? Why haven’t they leveled the entirety of Gaza? If Israel “didn’t care” they’re actions don’t make sense*

This is your only attempt at an excuse!

You keep going on why haven't more been killed as if it is that simple to kill millions! Well despite your last post saying if Israel wanted to kill them all they would use nukes (yeah like that would be a safe option for Israel itself) killing tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands etc...with conventional weapons isn't as easy as you claim or think, ask Germany!

So basically you are just repeating the same excuse over and over

Exactly!

-4 ( +5 / -9 )

Human shields argument died

Nope. You’re wrong. Again. Or do you know more than NATO?

”According to a paper published by NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence, the strategic use of human shields by groups like Hamas hinges on exploiting Israel's aim to minimize civilian casualties and the sensitivity of Western public opinion. This tactic allows Hamas to either accuse Israel of war crimes if civilian casualties occur or to protect its assets and continue operations if the IDF limits its military response.”

-6 ( +5 / -11 )

It wasn't human shields, it was deliberately killing.

Hamas operates out of civilian clothing. Those deaths are on Hamas because they refuse to use any type of clothing that separates them from the local civilian populace

They don't. They operate underground.

They do which is proven by photos in the article I linked. You’re right they also operate underground, below civilian neighborhoods which is also stated in the article I linked

“Hamas also takes advantage of its extensive network of tunnels running under Gaza neighborhoods.“

and don't use civilians as shields

According to international law those civilians that they are operating around are human shields. Do you know more than international law?

-6 ( +6 / -12 )

Hamas operates out of civilian clothing. Those deaths are on Hamas because they refuse to use any type of clothing that separates them from the local civilian populace

They don't. They operate underground.

They do which is proven by photos in the article I linked. You’re right they also operate underground, below civilian neighborhoods which is also stated in the article I linked

“Hamas also takes advantage of its extensive network of tunnels running under Gaza neighborhoods.“

and don't use civilians as shields

According to international law those civilians that they are operating around are human shields. Do you know more than international law?

Want to talk about human shields? The IDF constantly uses them

The Israeli Defense Forces use of Palestinians as human shields has allegedly been documented by human rights organizations including Human Rights Watch, B'Tselem and Amnesty Internationsl.[6][7][8] According to B'Tselem, IDF soldiers put Palestinian civilians in front of them or otherwise putting civilians in the line of fire,[9] and forcing Palestinians to remove suspicious objects (possible explosives).[9] IDF soldiers also force Palestinian civilians to walk through suspected booby-trapped buildings. Israel also formerly employed the "neighbor procedure" in which Palestinian civilians were forced to attempt to persuade wanted individuals to surrender themselves to the IDF.[10] The latter practice was defended by the Israeli defense ministry, but prohibited in 2005 by the Israeli Supreme Court,[11] though there have been accusations of its employment even after the ruling.[12][13] During the 2009 invasion of Gaza, IDF reportedly used Palestinian families (both adult and children) as human shields.[14][15]

Human shields in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict - Wikipedia

-2 ( +6 / -8 )

The Palestinian death toll in the war has now surpassed 35,000, according to Gaza health officials,

look at the photo do you see any children and infants???? any women??? NO NO N O N O...

But the death toll reporting all over the world media... in among 35000 dead 30000 are children ... 4500 women and only 500 men....

The lefttt media and the Islamic media report not the real numbers...

It is HAMAS killing Palestinian children to boost the numbers...... And the stupid people in the USA are eating the shixxxt of HAMAS.. You see that in the college campus and the street..

Eradicating the HAMAS from this planet is the only way middle east can attain peace..

-8 ( +3 / -11 )

You keep going on why haven't more been killed as if it is that simple to kill millions! Well despite your last post saying if Israel wanted to kill them all they would use nukes (yeah like that would be a safe option for Israel itself) killing tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands etc...with conventional weapons isn't as easy as you claim or think, ask Germany!

It’s extremely easy. The Allies killed around 35,000 people in Dresden in 2 days and that was almost 80 years ago.

The fact the Palestinians moved each time to where Israel said to then Israel targeted that exact area tells us they are trying to kill as many as possible and scare the rest to feel to Egypt and seize the land!

Then why hasn’t Israel targeted the al Mawasi beach? Israel told people to evacuate there. There are over 100,000 people there now and Israel has refused to bomb it. Your logic makes no sense

Really any proof?

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/protesters-israel-arrested-after-attacking-gaza-aid-trucks/story?id=110220557

Because they planned and did split the Palestinian authority and Hamas and then the moved those settlements into the West Bank, against the agreement, the increased the agreed 140 settlements to the now 280 an extra 140 illegally built against the agreement Israel signed and added another 400,000 settlers in the West Bank!

This doesn’t answer my question at all

-5 ( +5 / -10 )

It is a genocide. Only an IDIOT would think otherwise.

How is it a genocide?

-6 ( +4 / -10 )

Just a reminder that the ICTR set the precedent that you don't have to take an active part in the killing, or the planning of the killing, or provide direct monetary/supply aid to those committing the genocide to be considered a participant in the genocide.

Helping create the social/political environment that makes the genocide possible has been established as grounds to hold you criminally responsible (and for most civil courts, criminal responsibility means you can be held civilly responsible, too)

So, yes, Biden, Trump, Sumac, Macron, Scholz, and Kishida are indeed targets for any court (including an ICC trying to redeem itself for the fiascos bowing to American pressure has caused over the past few years)

But so too are editors/publishers/broadcasters/influencers and the monetized YouTube, Twitter, Facebook people who are denying or minimizing the genocide and the preceeding Crimes Against Humanity of the Israeli regime.

Yes, you might think there's safety in numbers, especially at the lower ranks of the industry of lies, but that's only a shield for a little while, and only as long as you are an obscure face in the crowd forever. All it takes is a second in the camera's focus, over half a century after you had every reason to believe you had escaped,

Just ask Yaroslav Hunka.

-1 ( +3 / -4 )

Want to talk about human shields? The IDF constantly uses them 

The Israeli Defense Forces use of Palestinians as human shields has allegedly been documented by human rights organizations including Human Rights Watch, B'Tselem and Amnesty Internationsl.[6][7][8] According to B'Tselem, IDF soldiers put Palestinian civilians in front of them or otherwise putting civilians in the line of fire,[9] and forcing Palestinians to remove suspicious objects (possible explosives).[9] IDF soldiers also force Palestinian civilians to walk through suspected booby-trapped buildings. Israel also formerly employed the "neighbor procedure" in which Palestinian civilians were forced to attempt to persuade wanted individuals to surrender themselves to the IDF.[10] The latter practice was defended by the Israeli defense ministry, but prohibited in 2005 by the Israeli Supreme Court,[11] though there have been accusations of its employment even after the ruling.[12][13] During the 2009 invasion of Gaza, IDF reportedly used Palestinian families (both adult and children) as human shields.[14][15]

Human shields in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict - Wikipedia

Nope. Wrong again. The Israeli Supreme Court ruled that the IDF can’t use them anymore so they dont

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/israel

-7 ( +4 / -11 )

JboneInTheZone

Today 08:03 am JST

They don't. Israel kills indiscriminately

> They do. Operating out of civilian areas automatically designates civilians as human shields according to international law

> https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/israel-photos-hamas-gaza-weapons-un-facilities-including-schools/

Nice try a CBS article from November given by Israel!

Funny the UN investigation lead by a French investigator asked Israel to provide the evidence of UNRWA and other schools and hospitals being used by Hamas!

Results: Total silence from Israel, zero, nothing just like when the Whitehouse ask for evidence of the claimed October 7th babies, again Israel had nothing the Whitehouse had to retract its statement.

The Indonesian funded hospital bombed into dust, the Indonesian doctors died before they did they left a sad message on the ER board, they tried their best and no one left to help! They were killed by Israeli bombs right after.

These were not Palestinians, they were volunteer doctors and the hospital was run by Indonesia not Hamas and the Indonesian doctors and government pleaded with Israel and no Hamas was there but Israel flattened it anyway!

The UN investigation is clear Israel false claims have no facts, Israel couldn't provide a single piece of evidence, Israel is grate at making claims but fir decades has been unable to prove anything of what they claimed!

That is why Israel has 28 resolutions against it and yearly reports on human rights violation including torture.

-3 ( +4 / -7 )

It is a genocide. Only an IDIOT would think otherwise.

How is it a genocide?

In 1948, the United Nations Genocide Convention defined genocide as any of five "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group". 

Genocide - Wikipedia

there you are

-6 ( +4 / -10 )

Nope. Wrong again. The Israeli Supreme Court ruled that the IDF can’t use them anymore so they dont

Oh!!! So you believe the Israelis?

On January 16, 2024, IDF soldiers used a Palestinian man as a human shield in Dura, West Bank. Mobile phone video footage showed Israeli soldiers advancing down the street while keeping the Palestinian man in front of them; one of the Israeli soldiers held the Palestinian man and kept his rifle on the Palestinian's shoulder.[81]

Human shields in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict - Wikipedia

Guess you are the one who is wrong

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

Nice try a CBS article from November given by Israel!

Does a NATO report work better for your too or will you try to shift the goalposts again?

https://stratcomcoe.org/cuploads/pfiles/hamas_human_shields.pdf

The Indonesian funded hospital bombed into dust, the Indonesian doctors died before they did they left a sad message on the ER board, they tried their best and no one left to help! They were killed by Israeli bombs right after.

The UN investigation is clear Israel false claims have no facts, Israel couldn't provide a single piece of evidence, Israel is grate at making claims but fir decades has been unable to prove anything of what they claimed!

You don’t have a source for this

-2 ( +5 / -7 )

In 1948, the United Nations Genocide Convention defined genocide as any of five "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group". 

Wow thanks for proving my point for me. None of the acts Israel has committed fits that criteria you just posted

-3 ( +4 / -7 )

Wow thanks for proving my point for me. None of the acts Israel has committed fits that criteria you just posted

They fit all of them.

 These five acts were: killing members of the group, causing them serious bodily or mental harm, imposing living conditions intended to destroy the group, preventing births, and forcibly transferring children out of the group. Victims are targeted because of their real or perceived membership of a group, not randomly

-4 ( +4 / -8 )

JboneInTheZone

Today 08:24 am JST

Nope. Wrong again. The Israeli Supreme Court ruled that the IDF can’t use them anymore so they dont

That is funny!

Israel's supreme court also ruled the extra 100 illegal settlements in the west bank were illegal violated agreements and should be removed.

Results: there are now 140 settlements, Israel took more land and more Palestinians were killed to get that land!

And who supplied and helped the settlers take the land build the roads and protect all the illegal settlements?

The IDF!

So much for following the supreme court ruling!

-4 ( +3 / -7 )

actually the last one

 forcibly transferring children out of the group.

Israel doesnt do.

I stand corrected on my last statement

0 ( +5 / -5 )

Victims are targeted because of their real or perceived membership of a group

Okay thanks for proving my point again. If Israel was trying to genocide them, why have they issued evacuation orders and why is the al Mawasi beach a safe zone?

-3 ( +4 / -7 )

JboneInTheZone

Today 08:30 am JST

In 1948, the United Nations Genocide Convention defined genocide as any of five "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group".

> Wow thanks for proving my point for me. None of the acts Israel has committed fits that criteria you just posted

Well according the the last investigation by a UN French investigator!

It does it all!

28 resolutions against Israel say otherwise!

-5 ( +3 / -8 )

Israel's supreme court also ruled the extra 100 illegal settlements in the west bank were illegal violated agreements and should be removed.

Results: there are now 140 settlements, Israel took more land and more Palestinians were killed to get that land!

And who supplied and helped the settlers take the land build the roads and protect all the illegal settlements?

The IDF!

So much for following the supreme court ruling!

Its easy to tell when i know you’ve lost the argument because you immediately start bringing up irrelevant things

-3 ( +4 / -7 )

Okay thanks for proving my point again. If Israel was trying to genocide them, why have they issued evacuation orders and why is the al Mawasi beach a safe zone?

Didn't they do the EXACT same thing in Rafah?? They told them to go there because it was safe and now they are bombing them. Since the beginning of the conflict the IDF MO is to tell the civilians to go somewhere and then proceed to bomb the very area they told the people to go.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

Well according the the last investigation by a UN French investigator!

He has no legal authority

-6 ( +3 / -9 )

The quicker they eradicate the Hamas terrorists and end it the better for all.

2 ( +6 / -4 )

Didn't they do the EXACT same thing in Rafah?? They told them to go there because it was safe and now they are bombing them. Since the beginning of the conflict the IDF MO is to tell the civilians to go somewhere and then proceed to bomb the very area they told the people to go.

They never said it would be excluded from targeting only that it wouldn’t be as heavily targeted as the north at the time. They’ve only said the al Mawasi beach is immune from targeting and they haven’t bombed it

-3 ( +4 / -7 )

You want this to stop, free the damn hostage already!

1 ( +5 / -4 )

They never said it would be excluded from targeting only that it wouldn’t be as heavily targeted as the north at the time.

They told the people to evacuate there. They told them it was safe. And they proceeded to bomb it

>

-1 ( +4 / -5 )

They told the people to evacuate there. They told them it was safe.

Okay post a source showing Israel said that

-1 ( +4 / -5 )

Forensic Architecture, which is based at London’s Goldsmith’s University, also suggested in its report, published on Wednesday, that what Israel characterises as humanitarian evacuations of Gaza residents may amount to their forced displacement, itself a war crime.

The research group has previously won recognition for its multi-disciplinary open-source research on conflict and state violence. It has presented evidence to the United Nations Security Council, the International Criminal Court and the European Court of Human Rights, among others.

Rather than serve as humanitarian measures intended to protect life, the study alleged that Israel’s evacuation orders have facilitated “displacement, fatalities, and genocidal acts” against Palestinians in Gaza.

Gaza ‘safe zones’ led to displacement, Israeli attacks on civilians: Report | Israel War on Gaza News | Al Jazeera

-5 ( +2 / -7 )

Forensic Architecture, which is based at London’s Goldsmith’s University, also suggested in its report, published on Wednesday, that what Israel characterises as humanitarian evacuations of Gaza residents may amount to their forced displacement, itself a war crime.

The research group has previously won recognition for its multi-disciplinary open-source research on conflict and state violence. It has presented evidence to the United Nations Security Council, the International Criminal Court and the European Court of Human Rights, among others.

Rather than serve as humanitarian measures intended to protect life, the study alleged that Israel’s evacuation orders have facilitated “displacement, fatalities, and genocidal acts” against Palestinians in Gaza.

Gaza ‘safe zones’ led to displacement, Israeli attacks on civilians: Report | Israel War on Gaza News | Al Jazeera

Literally none of this answers my question. I asked for a source from Israel saying that Rafah would be immune from bombings. If you can’t answer it’s fine, it’s okay to be wrong

-1 ( +4 / -5 )

Okay post a source showing Israel said that

Israel told us to move to south Gaza. Then it said it would bomb the south too. So where do we go now? | Rozan | The Guardian

-4 ( +2 / -6 )

it’s fine, it’s okay to be wrong

Remember that

-3 ( +2 / -5 )

Israel told us to move to south Gaza. Then it said it would bomb the south too. So where do we go now? | Rozan | The Guardian

Do you have a reading comprehension problem or something? I’ll post my question one more time:

I asked for a source from Israel saying that Rafah would be immune from bombings. If you can’t answer it’s fine, it’s okay to be wrong

No, some random guy being interviewed doesn’t count as a representative of Israeli policy

-2 ( +3 / -5 )

I asked for a source from Israel saying that Rafah would be immune from bombings. If you can’t answer it’s fine, it’s okay to be wrong

You got one- the guardian.

Here's another

Why is Israel attacking south Gaza after telling people to go there? | Reuters

-1 ( +2 / -3 )

Since telling Gazans to head south, the Israeli military (IDF) has continued to pound targets across the area, killing an unknown number of civilians.

I asked for a source from Israel 

If you believe anything the IDF or Israeli spokespeople say, you are naive- to put it politely

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

You got one- the guardian.

No. Nothing in that article had an official Israeli source stating there wouldn’t be any bombing of Rafah. You’re wrong

-2 ( +3 / -5 )

Why is Israel attacking south Gaza after telling people to go there? | Reuters

Again, nothing in this article states that Israel wouldn’t bomb Arafat. Here’s what the article does state though:

On Oct. 18, the military urged residents of Gaza to evacuate to what it called a humanitarian zone in Al Mawasi, on the coast of southern Gaza.

This beach hasn’t been bombed by Israel and Israel has refused to attack it. Thanks for posting an article that proves my point

-1 ( +3 / -4 )

No. Nothing in that article had an official Israeli source stating there wouldn’t be any bombing of Rafah. You’re wrong

I gave you 2 sources. The second Reuters explicitly said that Israel told them to head south.

I guess when faced with facts you throw the toys out of the pram.

>

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

If you believe anything the IDF or Israeli spokespeople say, you are naive- to put it politely

If you’re saying the IDF is lying than post a source of them saying that Rafah would be completely safe from bombing. You can’t.

-3 ( +3 / -6 )

If you’re saying the IDF is lying than post a source of them saying that Rafah would be completely safe from bombing. You can’t.

I just quoted Reuters that said Israel told eveyone to head south. Again, throwing the toys out of the pram when you lose an argument

-3 ( +2 / -5 )

"Civilians must be respected and protected at all times, in Rafah and elsewhere in Gaza. For people in Gaza, nowhere is safe now," Stephane Dujarric said, adding that Guterres again called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

OK, right. We want to respect and protect civilians.

Perhaps that is why Israel tells them ahead of time to clear out so they don't get killed?

But they refuse to leave.

So, in this case, whose responsibility is it?

Can it really be called genocide when the Israeli army warns them ahead of time and tells them to leave? Is that the way that countries commit genocide? Whoever heard of genocide ever being committed in such a way?

0 ( +4 / -4 )

OK, right. We want to respect and protect civilians.

Perhaps that is why Israel tells them ahead of time to clear out so they don't get killed?

If so they wouldn't bomb areas they told civilians to go to.

-2 ( +3 / -5 )

I just quoted Reuters that said Israel told eveyone to head south. Again, throwing the toys out of the pram when you lose an argument

Saying “head south” isn’t the same as saying “Rafah is a safe zone that won’t be bombed” like you originally claimed. You can’t back up your argument so now you’re trying to shift the goalposts. Like I said earlier it’s okay to be wrong

-3 ( +3 / -6 )

If so they wouldn't bomb areas they told civilians to go to.

When did they say they wouldn’t bomb those areas? You’ve yet to post a source. The only thing they said was that they wanted civilians away from where the majority of Hamas fighters were concentrated and where a large amount of fighting would occur

-4 ( +2 / -6 )

Israeli tanks push deeper into Rafah; battles rage in northern Gaza

Israel needs to keep going and finish the job. The world can watch and whine, but so what?

These are Israeli lands; Israel is generously allowing Arabs to settle in Gaza, even though their homelands are Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon mainly.

Hamas continues to steal food and use civilians as human shields and minors as child soldiers.

The world should be outraged.

-7 ( +2 / -9 )

Saying “head south” isn’t the same as saying “Rafah is a safe zone that won’t be bombed” like you originally claimed.

Yes it is. Rafah is literally the only place in the south to go.

You can’t back up your argument so now you’re trying to shift the goalposts.

No. You can't deal with the facts when they are presented to you with credible sources so you throw a temper tantrum and refuse to accept the facts. That's fine, BUT in the future stop asking posters to prove their points if you are not willing to concede after they do. Its really quite childish.

Like I said earlier it’s okay to be wrong

You've been wrong all along.

-4 ( +2 / -6 )

Then why haven’t more people been killed? Why have they issued evacuation orders? Why haven’t they leveled the entirety of Gaza? If Israel “didn’t care” they’re actions don’t make sense

Everyone would turn their back on Israel if they just nuked Gaza.

0 ( +2 / -2 )

When did they say they wouldn’t bomb those areas?

They told the people to go south. that it was safe.

-4 ( +1 / -5 )

Yes it is. Rafah is literally the only place in the south to go.

No it isn’t. They never said it would be “safe”. Alls you have to do to prove me completely wrong is find one official Israeli quote stating Rafa would be “safe” and free of bombing. The fact you can’t even find one tells me you know you’re wrong and are trying to cope.

No. You can't deal with the facts when they are presented to you with credible sources so you throw a temper tantrum and refuse to accept the facts. That's fine, BUT in the future stop asking posters to prove their points if you are not willing to concede after they do. Its really quite childish. 

You haven’t given me one Israeli source stating they said it would be “safe” and free from bombing like you said earlier. I’ll quote what you said:

“They told the people to evacuate there. They told them it was safe.”

”they told them it was safe”

Really? Where’s your source?

-1 ( +3 / -4 )

More war crimes for the hypocritical west to ignore!

-1 ( +3 / -4 )

Yes it is. Rafah is literally the only place in the south to go.

So?

It's war.

These things happen when you raise children to become terrorists, when you give shelter to terrorists, when you encourage and support terrorism.

-7 ( +2 / -9 )

No it isn’t. They never said it would be “safe”.

Yes they did. they told the people to evacuate there.

Alls you have to do to prove me completely wrong is find one official Israeli quote stating Rafa would be “safe” and free of bombing.

I gave you 2 sources. Reuters stating that Israel told people to evacuate to the south and that it would be safe. Unless you think that Reuters is lying.

The fact you can’t even find one tells me you know you’re wrong and are trying to cope.

The fact is, when you have been proven completely wrong you throw a temper tantrum.

-4 ( +2 / -6 )

So?

It's war.

Its a genocide

These things happen when you raise children to become terrorists, when you give shelter to terrorists, when you encourage and support terrorism

Like the IDF

-3 ( +3 / -6 )

The game plan of the IDF (taken out of the drawer on October 7 and obvious from the very start) has been to take Gaza apart section by section. The destruction of Rafah is the final piece in the puzzle for those who haven't yet sussed out the Zionist "Operation Lebensraum". Where is the ICJ now? What's been holding up the folks from the ICC?

0 ( +4 / -4 )

Israel can't defeat Hamas

They can, they are, they did.

so they slaughter innocent civilians instead.

They’re not trying to, but that’s war.

Scumbags and cowards.

Hamas, all day long.

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

They can, they are, they did.

Hamas is still fighting.

They’re not trying to, but that’s war.

They are deliberately killing civilians

Hamas, all day long.

IDF and their supporters

0 ( +4 / -4 )

This is fundamentally where we disagree. They are the same thing.

They literally aren’t

I'm not shifting the goalposts. Reuters said that Israel said that. So unless you want to come out and say Reuters is wrong or lying, you have to accept the facts

Nothing in that article states Israel declared it “safe”

Again, I've already posted it.

Post the exact quote from the article

-3 ( +3 / -6 )

They literally aren’t

they are.

Nothing in that article states Israel declared it “safe”

You would then have produce another reason as to why they would tell them to evacuate there.

Post the exact quote from the article

Since telling Gazans to head south, the Israeli military (IDF) has continued to pound targets across the area, killing an unknown number of civilians.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

Since telling Gazans to head south, the Israeli military (IDF) has continued to pound targets across the area, killing an unknown number of civilians.

That's what happens in war. But with Israel, it is such a small scale compared to the civilian deaths caused by Syria's government--more than 600,000 civilians killed!

That's a genocide, right?

-6 ( +2 / -8 )

But with Israel, it is such a small scale compared to the civilian deaths caused by Syria's government--more than 600,000 civilians killed!

You are comparing a conflict that has been going on for more than 10 years with another that is barely over half a year old.

That's a genocide, right?

Yes it is. And I am equally happy to apply the same rules to the Syrian gov as I do to the Israeli gov.

BOTH are guilty of genocide.

-2 ( +3 / -5 )

Where is the ICJ now? What's been holding up the folks from the ICC?

The threats made against ICJ members and their families by the esteemed US politicians might be part of it.

1 ( +4 / -3 )

That's what happens in war. But with Israel, it is such a small scale

Calling 150 thousand Gazans ( vast majority civilians ) killed and wounded in half a year "small scale". The IDF genocide apologists and their arguments. No need to say anything else.

-1 ( +3 / -4 )

Calling 150 thousand Gazans ( vast majority civilians ) killed and wounded in half a year "small scale". The IDF genocide apologists and their arguments. No need to say anything else.

Well said Ramsey

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

More than 50,000 were killed. More than 100,000 seriously injured.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

zibala

That's what happens in war. But with Israel, it is such a small scale compared to the civilian deaths caused by Syria's government--more than 600,000 civilians killed!

Killing your people is not genocide. The Syrian Civil War started in 2011, 13 years ago. 600,000 killed over 13 years is 3846 people per month.

The Gaza war started in October last year. 8 months. 50,000 killed over 8 months is 6,250 people per month. 1.6 times more than those killed in Syria.

4 ( +6 / -2 )

I don't know where the global community, the US government commitment to a ceasefire is genuinely part of an agenda for Middle Eastern future process of stability

Is confrontation conflict chaos an acceptable future?

0 ( +1 / -1 )

Restating Wallace's cogent point: was the American Civil War with over 600,000 dead a genocide? The subjugation of native Americans certainly was. Apply this criteria to what the Israelis have been doing to the Arab-speaking semitic population since 1948. QED.

3 ( +5 / -2 )

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites