world

New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance

41 Comments
By JULIA FRANKEL

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.


41 Comments

Comments have been disabled You can no longer respond to this thread.

See, J.D. Vance and other disingenuous MAGA windbags, more proof the Hamas attack had nothing to do with Biden’s release of Iranian oil money.

10 ( +11 / -1 )

Netanyahu is carrying the can which he can't kick down the road.

7 ( +8 / -1 )

The Israeli military declined to comment on the report, saying it was “currently focused on eliminating the threat from the terrorist organization Hamas.”

The ravers at the Nova Tribe event and residents of settler communities were sacrificial lambs.

7 ( +7 / -0 )

 military was aware plan to launch an attack on Israeli soil over a year before the devastating Oct. 7 operation that killed hundreds of people, The New York Times reported Friday.

So it is false flag, pretext for something bigger campaign.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/false-flag

-3 ( +1 / -4 )

I sure hope Bibi gets his comeuppance for this horrible failure.

6 ( +6 / -0 )

Did Netanyahu want it to happen so he could destroy Gaza and the Hamas?

7 ( +8 / -1 )

One wonders if for Netenyahu, Oct. 7th wasn't an intelligence failure, but an intelligence success.

I was thinking the same exact thing

Did Netanyahu want it to happen so he could destroy Gaza and the Hamas?

Who knows, but he is doing the people of Gaza a huge favor by killing as many Hamas fighters as he can and that’s a good thing.

-7 ( +2 / -9 )

Netanyahu is doing no favors to the killed children of Gaza with more than 5,000 killed. They never attacked Israel.

5 ( +6 / -1 )

Aurelius

Did Netanyahu want it to happen so he could destroy Gaza and the Hamas?

> Are you finally catching on ?

> Better late than never i guess

You don't get to question my stance.

0 ( +3 / -3 )

You don't get to question my stance.

But you can? Seriously?

Netanyahu is doing no favors to the killed children of Gaza with more than 5,000 killed. They never attacked Israel.

So what’s the solution? Ask thousands to move when they won’t?

Ask Hamas to stop hiding among the civilian population? Would be best choice.

Trust Hamas? Make bombs or bullets that go around kids? Create googles that see behind buildings?

-8 ( +2 / -10 )

more proof the Hamas attack had nothing to do with Biden’s release of Iranian oil money.

why did they have to delay a year?

to get the money to pay for it.

-5 ( +3 / -8 )

Somebody knew but nobody listened!

Isn't that always the case? Like with Pearl Harbor, September 11th, etc.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

bass4funk

You don't get to question my stance.

> But you can? Seriously?

Aurelius does not get to decide what I know or think. Nor do you.

Netanyahu is doing no favors to the killed children of Gaza with more than 5,000 killed. They never attacked Israel.

So what’s the solution? Ask thousands to move when they won’t?

1 million Arabs moved from North Gaza at the demand of Israel only to be bombed in the south.

Ask Hamas to stop hiding among the civilian population? Would be best choice.

They are terrorists and that's what they do.

Trust Hamas? Make bombs or bullets that go around kids? Create googles that see behind buildings?

Google isn't that good.

The US has told Israel to prevent killing more civilians.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

Blacklabel

more proof the Hamas attack had nothing to do with Biden’s release of Iranian oil money.

> why did they have to delay a year?

> to get the money to pay for it.

Your conspiracy has already been disproved so many times.

3 ( +5 / -2 )

to get the money to pay for it.

If you're alleging the funds used to pay for the attack were from the "unfrozen" funds, you're wrong yet again.

Those funds have yet to be released. This has been widely reported.

US, Qatar agree to prevent Iran from tapping previously frozen $6 billion fund - ABC News (go.com)

2 ( +4 / -2 )

Did Netanyahu want it to happen so he could destroy Gaza and the Hamas?

This was my first thought on Oct 8. Many wars of aggression start with a fabricated pretext. This time Netanyahu didn't need to do anything but let Hamas make the first move. He would then have a perfect excuse to turn Gaza into a wasteland and could implement his cunning pIan to push the envelope by taking more land and making the Gaza Ghetto all but uninhabitable, and throw the notion of a land for Palestinians into the garbage can of history (lol). All a mad gamble that may backfire on him and his international enablers. The world's lying eyes see all. We are not amused.

2 ( +4 / -2 )

So why did they have to wait 1 year to attack?

-6 ( +2 / -8 )

So why did they have to wait 1 year to attack?

How should I know? It's ridiculous to so confidently assert the reason they waited a year was because they were waiting to receive recently unfrozen funds, when we know good and well Iran still has yet to receive those funds.

Besides, why didn't Israel do anything for a year?

4 ( +6 / -2 )

So what’s the solution? 

The only solution that will bring lasting peace is for Israel to withdraw back behind its legal pre-1967 borders and let the Palestinians govern themselves as an independent nation free from Israeli control.

7 ( +8 / -1 )

Isn't that always the case? Like with Pearl Harbor, September 11th, etc.

No one in the US had any idea Japan would attack Pearl Harbor because the Japanese took extraordinary security measures during the planning for the attack and when deploying the attack force. During the planning phase all documents and information were exchanged either face to face in secure meetings or by documents delivered by courier. There were no radio or telephone communications at any point during the planning and execution of the attack. The attack force was formed up in an isolated bay on the Inland Sea that the Japanese knew the US did not watch (the US Navy had people watching the IJA's major fleet anchorages in order to track the whereabouts of the major surface ships and especially their aircraft carriers, the US Navy also had an electronics intelligence ship in the region, yes the US had such ships even that far back, listening to Japanese radio comms). US surveillance did not detect the task group forming up nor did it detect it sailing. The Japanese task group maintained strict radio silence the entire way to the attack point. The US was aware of Japanese carriers operating in the South China Sea and expected an attack on the Philippines. The US Navy had lost contact with the four carriers that would mount the Pearl Harbor attack.

About as close to knowing an attack was coming and not acting was in the minutes before the attack a brand new radar on Oahu detected the attack force heading towards Pearl Harbor and mis identified this as a large flight of B-17s that was also due to arrive that morning from the mainland US.

1 ( +3 / -2 )

The only solution that will bring lasting peace is for Israel to withdraw back behind its legal pre-1967 borders and let the Palestinians govern themselves as an independent nation free from Israeli control.

yup.

3 ( +3 / -0 )

why did they have to delay a year?

to get the money to pay for it.

Really? Where I commanding an army the weapons I would use to attack someone with today were bought and paid for long before the attack. I would bet Hamas has been building and stockpiling the rockets and missiles used on October 7th for many years. The size of the force employed by Hamas took a long time to assemble and train, and pay for.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

We now know Hamas built training camps in North Gaza, with fake houses and tanks to practice for their attack, They practiced for one year.

Why didn't the Israelis see these camps?

3 ( +4 / -1 )

See, J.D. Vance and other disingenuous MAGA windbags, more proof the Hamas attack had nothing to do with Biden’s release of Iranian oil money.

The left will see what they want.

-5 ( +2 / -7 )

*The only solution that will bring lasting peace is for Israel to withdraw back behind its legal pre-1967 borders and let the Palestinians govern themselves as an independent nation free from Israeli control.*

No, no it wouldn’t bring peace. It doesn’t matter what the Israelis do, the Arabs don’t want them there and that’s it. There will never be a two state solution. Once we all can acknowledge this, the better we are all off. But regardless, “from the river to the sea” will never come to fruition for Hamas or the Arabs.

-5 ( +2 / -7 )

—more proof the Hamas attack had nothing to do with Biden’s release of Iranian oil money.

The left will see what they want.

No, that’s you. Had the money been released (which it has not), it would have been restricted to humanitarian uses, and even if not, it would have arrived after the attack happened and many many months after planning and stockpiling . These are facts, and they don’t care about your opinion.

So why did they have to wait 1 year to attack?

Because Hamas wasn’t ready. Or you think they were waiting for Iranian oil money to someday be released by a doddering, incompetent, warmongering appeaser leftist China stooge crime boss? Let your imagination roam freely, friend.

4 ( +4 / -0 )

We now know Hamas built training camps in North Gaza, with fake houses and tanks to practice for their attack, They practiced for one year.

Why didn't the Israelis see these camps?

I don't think Israel had the slightest inkling Hamas could pull off such an audacious attack. I am pretty sure the Israelis were aware of the Hamas exercises. They probably dismissed them as propaganda for local consumption and not serious preparations for an attack because the Israeli military had come to see themselves as invincible in the region. The Israelis missed Egypts preparations to attack across the Suez in 1973 and likewise dismissed Arab armies as incapable of mounting a successful attack on them. That sort of hubris has bitten them twice now and on practically the same day of the calendar albeit 50 years apart.

4 ( +4 / -0 )

I don't think Israel had the slightest inkling Hamas could pull off such an audacious attack.

You could be right.

I am pretty sure the Israelis were aware of the Hamas exercises. They probably dismissed them as propaganda for local consumption and not serious preparations for an attack because the Israeli military had come to see themselves as invincible in the region.

They’re not invincible but definitely militarily superior.

The Israelis missed Egypts preparations to attack across the Suez in 1973 and likewise dismissed Arab armies as incapable of mounting a successful attack on them.

They made up for that sense in the same way they are doing now.

That sort of hubris has bitten them twice now and on practically the same day of the calendar albeit 50 years apart.

You live and you learn, even if it’s the hard way, Hamas on the other hand…

-3 ( +1 / -4 )

There will never be a two state solution.

It is the only solution that preserves an independent Israel. Learn the history of that region.

The Palestinians look to the examples of Black South Africans, the Algerians and Tunisians and how they eventually beat their colonial masters. To the Arabs the Israelis are the last outpost of European colonialism in the Arab world. They can probably live with an Israel that respects their 1967 borders and is willing to share Jerusalem. But they know the lessons of the three aforementioned countries where the oppressed original inhabitants simply refused to stop resisting, refused to ever acknowledge any European claim to their land and eventually over time the European colonizers lost credibility and had to leave. Resistance works. South Africa, Tunisia and Algeria are the proof, and the example the Palestinians look to.

If Israel is not willing to return to its pre 1967 borders it will in time cease to exist.

5 ( +5 / -0 )

bass4funkToday  12:05 pm JST

"and they don’t care about your opinion. "

Feeling is mutual. Lol

You didn't quote this part.

"*These are facts, and they don’t care about your opinion*."

That means you don't care about facts, unless you hadn't bothered to read the comment properly when you were coming up with your - um.... "witty" reply.

3 ( +4 / -1 )

"These are facts, and they don’t care about your opinion."

That goes both ways

That means you don't care about facts,

I do, just not one-sided liberal only accepted

-3 ( +1 / -4 )

If Israel is not willing to return to its pre 1967 borders it will in time cease to exist.

Yeah, I doubt that very much.

-2 ( +1 / -3 )

Israel plans to eliminate the Hamas but has no end game of who will replace the administration. The US has suggested a two-state solution with the West Bank and Gaza under a new Arab administration. The plan is likely to be strongly opposed by Netanyahu.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

Israel plans to eliminate the Hamas but has no end game of who will replace the administration.

True.

The US has suggested a two-state solution

Won’t happen.

The plan is likely to be strongly opposed by Netanyahu.

With good reason.

-2 ( +2 / -4 )

—These are facts, 

According to whom?

If you can’t even believe straightforward facts that have been reported and accepted even on Fox, it’s not worth debating you.

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6338636701112

Iran never got its money. Accept the fact.

-1 ( +0 / -1 )

If Israel refuses to build a two-state solution the US should cut off its $3 billion a year funding. Bring the dog to heal.

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

If Israel refuses to build a two-state solution the US should cut off its $3 billion a year funding. Bring the dog to heal.

The U.S. is not going to cut its own throat.

If you can’t even believe straightforward facts that have been reported and accepted even on Fox, it’s not worth debating you. 

First, you don’t debate, second, didn’t you say, FNC is not to be trusted?

Iran never got its money.

Ahh, ok

Accept the fact.

You can accept whatever you wish.

-1 ( +1 / -2 )

Too many armchair diplomats who clearly don't understand how international affairs work.

0 ( +1 / -1 )

he Israelis missed Egypts preparations to attack across the Suez in 1973 and likewise dismissed Arab armies as incapable of mounting a successful attack on them.

They made up for that sense in the same way they are doing now.

I don't think you realize that Hamas has already won. Remember that even though the VC and NVA never once won a battle against US forces in Vietnam, they won the war. Hamas has already forced Israel to commit gross atrocities and their leaders risk prosecution for war crimes and crimes against humanity. For Hamas and Islamic Jihad that is a very big win. That the US supports Israel as it commits war crimes is an even bigger win as the Arab states will find it very hard to be close to the US in the future. Not tomorrow. Not the next month but there will be popular pressure on the Arab street to put distance between the Arab regimes and the west. The Abraham Accords are dead and Hamas now will be able to recruit much more easily than before this war. They have cred, and the Israelis have destroyed any goodwill there ever was in the region.

You also need to remember that Israel did massive destruction to southern Lebanon in their 2006 war against Hezbollah, essentially leveling it all the way to the southern suburbs of Beirut, but despite the destruction they never destroyed Hezbollah. The IDF grossly under rated Hezbollah and was unable to operate effectively on the ground. Today Hezbollah is literally an order of magnitude larger and stronger than it was in 2006. The IDF similarly grossly under estimated Hamas and I suspect that in the near future Hamas will, like Hezbollah, be greatly strengthened.

1 ( +2 / -1 )

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites