Japan Today
world

Russia celebrates victory in World War II as Putin accuses West of fueling global conflicts

55 Comments

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.


55 Comments

Comments have been disabled You can no longer respond to this thread.

May 09 2025 Putin has officially declared war on the west. Get ready boys an girls, your sacrifice will be required.

Sounds like fake news.

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

These are two very different things but you are insulting the dead that without whom you would not have the freedom to say the things you say today! Have some respect!

Nothing is more insulting to the dead than saluting goosestepping soldiers in Red Square and starting wars.

TINJ comments are more insulting and disrespectful. ( thanks to the mod for promptly removing that trash )

-4 ( +4 / -8 )

It is not, numbers tell the story very clearly. How many soldiers fought and died on the Eastern front, both Soviet and German? How many Soviet civilians perished at the hand of the Nazis? Compare those numbers against others who fought against Germany.

People here have been saying WWII, not Germany.

The article is about a parade celebrating victory over Nazi Germany. But I do see your point.

WWII was fought not only against Germany.

Of course.

We’ll never know if things would have been different had America not joined. Yes against Germany, the Soviets lost far more than any other country.

Indeed.

-6 ( +3 / -9 )

RichardPearceToday 11:13 am JST

Given that, right now, Russia, singlehandedly (forget about the claims that the Russian military drone model that bears some EXTERNAL resemblance to an Iranian ones is in fact an Iranian drone, there's more holes in that theory than in a fishing net) is more than holding its own against the military industrial complex of not just every European country where the Swastika flew, but also the UK and North America, the theory that without the support of the UK and North America, Russia wouldn't have stood a chance against the industrial might of all the European countries where the Swastika flew has a pretty obvious hole.

You're not standing against the West's troops and planes.

2 ( +7 / -5 )

It is not, numbers tell the story very clearly. How many soldiers fought and died on the Eastern front, both Soviet and German? How many Soviet civilians perished at the hand of the Nazis? Compare those numbers against others who fought against Germany.

People here have been saying WWII, not Germany. WWII was fought not only against Germany. We’ll never know if things would have been different had America not joined. Yes against Germany, the Soviets lost far more than any other country.

4 ( +7 / -3 )

Given that, right now, Russia, singlehandedly (forget about the claims that the Russian military drone model that bears some EXTERNAL resemblance to an Iranian ones is in fact an Iranian drone, there's more holes in that theory than in a fishing net) is more than holding its own against the military industrial complex of not just every European country where the Swastika flew, but also the UK and North America, the theory that without the support of the UK and North America, Russia wouldn't have stood a chance against the industrial might of all the European countries where the Swastika flew has a pretty obvious hole.

-8 ( +4 / -12 )

He accused the West of “fueling regional conflicts, inter-ethnic and inter-religious strife and trying to contain sovereign and independent centers of global development.”

Now lets get back to our obliteration of neighbors.

0 ( +6 / -6 )

The war was not won by any one country alone.

Nobody said otherwise. The western allies and their immensely important contribution is recognized as such by everyone including Putin.

Suggesting that Russia did more than anyone else is disingenuous.

It is not, numbers tell the story very clearly. How many soldiers fought and died on the Eastern front, both Soviet and German? How many Soviet civilians perished at the hand of the Nazis? Compare those numbers against others who fought against Germany.

Every country that fought against fascist Germany suffered and none of it should be minimized.

Absolutely, nobody is disputing that.

-5 ( +4 / -9 )

AntiquesavingToday 09:15 am JST

These are two very different things but you are insulting the dead that without whom you would not have the freedom to say the things you say today!

Have some respect!

Nothing is more insulting to the dead than saluting goosestepping soldiers in Red Square and starting wars.

2 ( +8 / -6 )

Readers, please stop bickering. If you have already posted here, then please take a break.

The parade has a 70 year old history, it was not initiated this year.

No kidding. I never said otherwise. However under the current regime it is nothing more than a facade of fascist Russian propaganda

There is no denying Russia did the lion share of fighting and sacrifices in WW2.

The war was not won by any one country alone. Russia may very well have done more against the Germans. As has been alluded to here already they also helped Germany’s rise. America might not have done as much against Hitler, but they did a whole lot more in the pacific than Russia did. Suggesting that Russia did more than anyone else is disingenuous. Every country that fought against fascist Germany suffered and none of it should be minimized.

2 ( +8 / -6 )

 And those stating that Russia "won the war" are misguided. They managed to defeat the Germans in the East who were already on their knees.

Who else but the Russian army brought the Germans on the Eastern front to their knees? Do share please.

For most of the war, 75-80 percent of the Wehrmacht had to be deployed in the East, a preponderance dictated by the sheer size of the front, and 80 percent of German war dead perished there, https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/operation-barbarossa#:~:text=For%20most%20of%20the%20war,killed%20in%20World%20War%20II.

-4 ( +5 / -9 )

Because Putin is using the parade as a platform to offend the nations who fought side by side with the Soviet Union has everything to do with it, calling out the parade, which currently is a facade of Russian propaganda, does not insult those who died fighting the Nazis.

The parade has a 70 year old history, it was not initiated this year. Posters calling the parade fascist aka " That fascist military parade should have ended 70 years ago." are insulting the memory of those who died fighting the Nazis. As I have stated in a post on this thread which the moderator for some reason removed as someone who has relatives that fell victim to the Nazi scourge both on the WW2 frontlines and in occupied territory I do find this insulting. There is no denying Russia did the lion share of fighting and sacrifices in WW2. You may hate Putin but calling the parade and its 70 year old history fascist is wrong, insulting and disingenuous all rolled into one.

-7 ( +4 / -11 )

The only fact is that russia started the war!

Russia started WW2? That would be news to most. Then again in light of the recent revisionism attempts its not really surprising to hear that from certain quarters.

-5 ( +4 / -9 )

Putin stating a fact about certain western policies fuelling conflicts and trying to contain other countries has nothing to do with some posters calling 70 year old Victory day parade fascist and therefore insulting the memory of those who died fighting the Nazis ( it does ).

Because Putin is using the parade as a platform to offend the nations who fought side by side with the Soviet Union has everything to do with it, calling out the parade, which currently is a facade of Russian propaganda, does not insult those who died fighting the Nazis.

3 ( +8 / -5 )

It’s unfortunate to say that Putin is stating the obvious facts.

The only fact is that russia started the war!

-1 ( +8 / -9 )

When you've got the Russian president making statements about He accused the West of “fueling regional conflicts, inter-ethnic and inter-religious strife and trying to contain sovereign and independent centers of global development.”

then crying about comments of the current Russian leadership and it's supporters being fascist because it insults the memory of those who fought side by side (it doesn't) is actually really hypocritical.

Putin stating a fact about certain western policies fuelling conflicts and trying to contain other countries has nothing to do with some posters calling 70 year old Victory day parade fascist and therefore insulting the memory of those who died fighting the Nazis ( it does ). You trying to make some link between the two is actually really disingenuous.

-8 ( +3 / -11 )

No, the real insult is to call those who did the lion share of fighting against Nazi Germany and celebrate their victory over the Nazi scourge with this parade fascist. Particularly disrespectful on this day. Soviets and the Allies fought the Nazi scourge side by side and on the anniversary of their victory their memory should not be insulted by such trash talk.

Correct.

-5 ( +6 / -11 )

He accused the West of “fueling regional conflicts, inter-ethnic and inter-religious strife and trying to contain sovereign and independent centers of global development.”

It’s unfortunate to say that Putin is stating the obvious facts.

Exactly.

-4 ( +7 / -11 )

Soviets and the Allies fought the Nazi scourge side by side and on the anniversary of their victory their memory should not be insulted by such trash talk.

When you've got the Russian president making statements about

He accused the West of “fueling regional conflicts, inter-ethnic and inter-religious strife and trying to contain sovereign and independent centers of global development.”

then crying about comments of the current Russian leadership and it's supporters being fascist because it insults the memory of those who fought side by side (it doesn't) is actually really hypocritical.

0 ( +9 / -9 )

Putin made precisely this point in his speech: he has never belittled or ridiculed the Allied contribution to the war effort. One would be wise to heed the wisdom.

Indeed.

-6 ( +7 / -13 )

No, the real insult to the Soviet dead is the losers saluting tanks on Red Square and starting new wars.

No, the real insult is to call those who did the lion share of fighting against Nazi Germany and celebrate their victory over the Nazi scourge with this parade fascist. Particularly disrespectful on this day. Soviets and the Allies fought the Nazi scourge side by side and on the anniversary of their victory their memory should not be insulted by such trash talk.

-5 ( +7 / -12 )

He accused the West of “fueling regional conflicts, inter-ethnic and inter-religious strife and trying to contain sovereign and independent centers of global development.”

It’s unfortunate to say that Putin is stating the obvious facts.

-4 ( +7 / -11 )

Putin made precisely this point in his speech: he has never belittled or ridiculed the Allied contribution to the war effort.

One would be wise to heed the wisdom.

-6 ( +7 / -13 )

TaiwanIsNotChina

Today 09:05 am JST

Lend-lease was not nothing: it is what allowed Russia to win its portion of the war.

No it made the USA very very very rich!

It would have made it even richer had the Soviet union not decided to tell the USA where to shove their portion and refused to pay it.

The UK had to suspend payment and get an extension on repayment only paying it off in full in 2006.

Some great friend the USA was it didn't help because it was the right thing to do it helped because it made money.

But that was not the reason the USA soldiers faught, do understand my point in the USA is its government and arms industry profiteering.

USA soldiers faught like the Soviets the British the Canadians Australians, NZ India, and all the rest, because they were defending their country.

These are two very different things but you are insulting the dead that without whom you would not have the freedom to say the things you say today!

Have some respect!

-4 ( +7 / -11 )

*migrated my opinion to

-1 ( +4 / -5 )

AntiquesavingToday  08:56 am JST

TaiwanIsNotChina

Today 08:50 am JST

Why would you expect the US to declare war when it hadn't been attacked yet? 

That should be my question to you!

You keep on saying NATO needs to fight Russia.

Has Russia attacked a NATO or the USA etc ..

You literally migrated my opinion "NATO needs to fight Russia". No, NATO needs to provide the weapons to the countries that Russia has already attacked so that Russia can be buried, again.

-4 ( +5 / -9 )

TaiwanIsNotChina

Today 08:50 am JST

Why would you expect the US to declare war when it hadn't been attacked yet?

That should be my question to you!

You keep on saying NATO needs to fight Russia.

Has Russia attacked a NATO or the USA etc ..

You use poor arguments after going on for months about Europe and NATO getting involved in Ukraine.

Make up your mind

-4 ( +6 / -10 )

JJEToday  07:40 am JST

Polls show Russians consider this the most important day of the year. Fantastic event this year.

Yes, we do know that Russia has a fascism problem.

One important thing to note is the contrast between this event and what took place in the Canadian parliament last September.

Your right: the Canadian one had one fascist. This has thousands.

-4 ( +6 / -10 )

The USA did not declare war until after Germany did thus the 8th for Japan and 11th for Germany.

Mate, it's pretty disengenous to act as if the US did nothing, because they weren't fighting Germany from 1939 to the end of 1941, whilst completely ignoring the fact that Nazi Germany and the USSR were cooperating in 1939, 1940, and the first half of 1941.

Like both the US and Germany became involved when it was in the respective interests to do so.

0 ( +8 / -8 )

Cards fan

Today 08:22 am JST

Need a history lesson again.

> lol No, I don't need a history. Operation Barbarossa happend 6 months before Pearl Harbor. Before that the USSR and Nazi Germany weren't fighting eachother. The worked together to divy up Poland

But apparently you did need a lesson!

In 1941 the Soviets lost over half a million men.

How many did the USA lose to Germany in 1941?

Oh right, zero.

Poland, yes true but that isn't the question, the question is simple who faught the Nazis the most and who contributed more to their defeat!

Well it wasn't the USA not by a long shot! It was the UK and its allies Canada , Australia, NZ, etc...from 39 to 42 and the Soviets form june 41 to January 42 had these countries not resisted the USA would have sat back and done nothing.

-2 ( +9 / -11 )

Ramsey's KitchenToday  08:07 am JST

That fascist military parade should have ended 70 years ago.

First to post and with an imbecile insulting comment, as usual. Have some respect for those millions who fell fighting the Nazis in WW2.

I respect those fighting the nazis but the fact remains this fascist parade isn't necessary to do so. And I also didn't have to an ad hominem.

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

AntiquesavingToday  07:32 am JST

TaiwanIsNotChina

Today 07:24 am JST

UChosePoorly

Today 07:08 am JST

Mr. K - and the destruction of German heavy industry?

Let me remind you both!

The USA never declared war on Germany.

From 39 to 42 (we can't actually count 1941 because they did nothing for 11.5 months) the USA sat back making money by selling weapons to the people doing the actual fighting against Germany and the Nazis.

Even after Pearl harbor, the USA still didn't declare war on Germany only on Japan.

Had Hitler not declared war on the USA the USA wouldn't have gotten involved if it could have avoided it!

Why would you expect the US to declare war when it hadn't been attacked yet? The point is the US didn't ally with Nazi Germany like Russia.

-3 ( +7 / -10 )

> Gene Hennigh

Today 08:18 am JST

Antiquesaving -- The US declared war on Japan Dec.8th, 1941. The US declared war on Germany Dec. 11th, 1941.

Again someone needs a history lesson.

The American population regarded the attack as a cowardly act and stood behind its government's decision to declare war on Japan. In response, Hitler declared war on America on 11 December 1941, for Germany was an ally of Japan.

The USA did not declare war until after Germany did thus the 8th for Japan and 11th for Germany.

As for your death count, you US totals are too high, your Russian totals too low. Before you teach history you have to read about it. Someone told you an untruth.

No if you read the number for the Soviet was only 1941 and from the official achieves and only military!

You seem confused, it is not the total for the war but only the 6 months of 1941 and only military.

As for the USA numbers again from the USA official government numbers and only deaths not wounded!

You can look things up if you like

-5 ( +9 / -14 )

More than 80% of German casualties were on the eastern front. Hollywood movies won't tell you the truth, The soviets won the war.

And the Russians will never, ever admit to the mass killings of innocent German non-combatants, looting, and rapes of hundreds of thousands of women and children.

The Russians have never faced up to their war crimes and cowardice. And the same is happening now in sovereign Ukraine.

-5 ( +8 / -13 )

Need a history lesson again.

lol No, I don't need a history. Operation Barbarossa happend 6 months before Pearl Harbor. Before that the USSR and Nazi Germany weren't fighting eachother. The worked together to divy up Poland.

-3 ( +7 / -10 )

Antiquesaving -- The US declared war on Japan Dec.8th, 1941. The US declared war on Germany Dec. 11th, 1941. As for your death count, you US totals are too high, your Russian totals too low. Before you teach history you have to read about it. Someone told you an untruth.

3 ( +10 / -7 )

Cards fan

Today 07:59 am JST

From 39 to 42 (we can't actually count 1941 because they did nothing for 11.5 months) the USA sat back making money by selling weapons to the people doing the actual fighting against Germany and the Nazis.

> What were the Soviets/Russians doing? Hint: they weren't fighting Nazi Germany either

Need a history lesson again.

Barbarossa June 1941

Based on Soviet archives: 566,852 killed in action (101,471 of whom died in hospital of wounds) 235,339 died from non-combat causes.

Sorry you are wrong again!

Just to give you a point of reference all USA military and civilians killed in WW2 418,500

The Soviets suffered and faught more in the first 6 months than the USA did in 4 years.

-5 ( +8 / -13 )

Red Army defeat fascism..

Now Russia is doing the same..

Instead of girly whining, learn history

Bizarre...

4 ( +8 / -4 )

Photo time: you might notice the snow - it is the coldest Victory Day in 25 years.

Photo 1 the jets are Frogfoots (as labelled). Also two aerobatic teams - the Russian Knights and Swifts - formed a combined formation flyby with their Fulcrums and Flankers.

Photo 2 you can see Lukashenko. Fun fact - he brought his dog along, a white pomerian named "Umka" which sat in the stands unleashed. It's not the first such event for this dog.

Photo 9 - look who is directly behind Putin.

Photo 22 is in Sevastopol, Crimea. The RMoD has an educational theme every year that is explored in mediums like TV and classrooms throughout the weel and this year it was about that city, then a constituent part of Russia SSR, the brutal siege and the eventual liberation from the nazis which saw it earn the title "Hero City".

-12 ( +4 / -16 )

From 39 to 42 (we can't actually count 1941 because they did nothing for 11.5 months) the USA sat back making money by selling weapons to the people doing the actual fighting against Germany and the Nazis.

What were the Soviets/Russians doing? Hint: they weren't fighting Nazi Germany either.

-1 ( +11 / -12 )

From defeating a force of evil to becoming one while still celebrating defeating the aforementioned force of evil. It’s amazing what an imperialistic ego will do for a nation.

4 ( +12 / -8 )

Polls show Russians consider this the most important day of the year. Fantastic event this year.

Message of the speech was a line clearly drawn from then to now, the battle against them goes on - Russia faces the same enemies, past and present.

One thing that stuck out was his denunciation of other countries who are rewriting history by tearing down monuments to the eternal heroes who defeated fascism and replacing them statues of traitors and collaborators. Won't name the countries (one of the more controversial ones is mentioned in this article).

The atmosphere really had a buzz - airborne VDV groups incorporated the chant "For Donbass" into their marching song as the made their way past the main bleachers, to the applause of spectators.

Another highlight was the marching group of mixed veterans of the special operation - crisply to the beat with flak jackets and chest ammo belts worn, they were led by a Lt. Col Yevgeny Khabarovsk at the fore with a Hero of Russia Star. Seven such men in the formation had that award and more the 20 with the Order of Courage. This formation marched with multiple actual Red Army standards, held high, of combat units that liberated Lugansk, Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson and Odessa in the Great Patriotic War. (The last one should be a warning of what is coming down the track methinks)

And that was part of the theme. Veterans of old and present were seated together in the stands, which Putin greeted upon entrance. Seated right behind him was a legend of the Battle of Mariupol (the infamous trooper with the red backpack). The fireworks that lit up Moscow tonight were incredible.

-8 ( +9 / -17 )

TaiwanIsNotChina

Today 07:24 am JST

Mr KiplingToday 07:06 am JST

> More than 80% of German casualties were on the eastern front. Hollywood movies won't tell you the truth, The soviets won the war.

> But not without essential US support and only on the western front:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease#Significance_of_Lend-Lease

Did you forget to point out that it took the UK until 2006 to finally pay off that sweet money maker deal the USA made?

And why was it made?

Because the USA refused to fight the Nazis even after Pearl harbor!

-5 ( +10 / -15 )

TaiwanIsNotChina

Today 07:24 am JST

UChosePoorly

Today 07:08 am JST

Mr. K - and the destruction of German heavy industry?

Let me remind you both!

The USA never declared war on Germany.

From 39 to 42 (we can't actually count 1941 because they did nothing for 11.5 months) the USA sat back making money by selling weapons to the people doing the actual fighting against Germany and the Nazis.

Even after Pearl harbor, the USA still didn't declare war on Germany only on Japan.

Had Hitler not declared war on the USA the USA wouldn't have gotten involved if it could have avoided it!

-3 ( +9 / -12 )

And let’s never forget that Russia and Nazi Germany were partners when they both simultaneously invaded Poland.

Had the UK and France not declared war on Germany, they would’ve declared war on Russia for its invasion of a peaceful neighbor & nation.

7 ( +15 / -8 )

TokyoLivingToday  07:21 am JST

Mr. K - and the destruction of German heavy industry?

Just a little help, but Russia put the heroes and dead..

Even today, Russian citizens are considered of low value by their government.

-4 ( +11 / -15 )

Mr KiplingToday  07:06 am JST

More than 80% of German casualties were on the eastern front. Hollywood movies won't tell you the truth, The soviets won the war.

But not without essential US support and only on the western front:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease#Significance_of_Lend-Lease

-5 ( +10 / -15 )

Mr. K - and the destruction of German heavy industry?

Just a little help, but Russia put the heroes and dead..

-3 ( +10 / -13 )

Beautiful parade..

Thanks to the glorious Red Army who defeat Nazis in WW2..

-4 ( +12 / -16 )

Mr. K - and the destruction of German heavy industry?

2 ( +11 / -9 )

More than 80% of German casualties were on the eastern front. Hollywood movies won't tell you the truth, The soviets won the war.

-1 ( +12 / -13 )

That fascist military parade should have ended 70 years ago.

-5 ( +11 / -16 )

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites