world

U.N. chief, in Ukraine, says he is worried by situation at nuclear plant on front line

54 Comments
By Natalia Zinets and Andrea Shalal

The requested article has expired, and is no longer available. Any related articles, and user comments are shown below.

© Thomson Reuters 2022.

©2022 GPlusMedia Inc.


54 Comments

Comments have been disabled You can no longer respond to this thread.

Why is the hell, would Russian shell their position near the nuclear power plant,it across from where Russian are shelling Ukrainain in Nikopol , Russian have totally occupied the side of the Nuclear plant

-1 ( +9 / -10 )

Disconnecting the complex's generators from Ukraine's power system would prevent them being used to keep nuclear fuel cool in the event of a power outage at the plant

That's essentially what happened in Fukushima: the back-up generators were taken out by the tsunami. Let us hope cooler heads prevail.

9 ( +10 / -1 )

The war has killed thousands and forced millions to flee. 

Still, anti-west/anti-democracy supporters of Putin and other fossil economy barons will not criticize Putin's actions believing that 'killing thousands and making millions flee' are acceptable costs because (for one thing it's other people that have been affected, not themselves or their families) and high-octane gasoline prices at the pump might eventually be reduced. They ignore the fact that the fossil barons will probably just raise prices later on, but maybe by then they will have replaced their status car with one more basic, or learn to ride the bus or train. The fossil barons are overlords and idols for sheeple.

1 ( +10 / -9 )

How about sanctioning Ukraine and stop supplying them with weapons? Ukraine is playing a dangerous blackmail game. If they go too far bombing this NPP, it will be worse than Chernobyl.

0 ( +11 / -11 )

The UN Chief appears to be talking to the wrong person. It should be talking with Russia who is in control of the plant which they secured some months ago and have kept it running safely under Ukraine technisions.

It would be understandable for Russia to close the plant down if Zelensky keeps bombing it. Stories of Russia bombing themselves is quite ridiculous.

1 ( +11 / -10 )

Kyiv and the West call it an unprovoked war to conquer Ukraine and erase its thousand-year national identity.

Ukraine was always a part of Russia in the past.

-3 ( +7 / -10 )

It's looking like a case of "6 of one, and 1/2 a dozen of the other" over this Nuclear plant issue... it's hard to know what or whom to believe.

Russians have troops at the Nuclear plant, and Russian's a shelling their own troops ?

Ukrainians are shelling the Russians at the Nuclear plant ?

In an interview yesterday, the Ukrainians when asked why the Russian's shouldn't simply shut down the Station, they were a bit elusive, and said it was for Ukraine to decide when to shutdown the Power station...

I think Guterres will have his negotiation skill severely tested here.

9 ( +9 / -0 )

Without the mass murdering killing raping insane Russian ass...les, who started this war, we would not be in this situation now.

-2 ( +7 / -9 )

Using a nuclear reactor as a military base for operations. Those crazy Russians yet again!

-2 ( +7 / -9 )

We know, from the Amnesty International report that Zelensky uses civilian areas, often still inhabited, as military staging grounds. His adamant denials of that, matched only by his insistence that Russia is doing so, even in the most illogical of cases, is pretty suggestive that he's lying about both.

We also know, from the REACTION to the Amnesty International report and the reaction to the reaction that Gutierrez is, either directly, or by inference, under extreme pressure not to publicly acknowledge that Zelensky is the one shelling the nuclear site, whether he is or isn't, and also to publicly imply that the Allies are, whether they are or aren't.

1 ( +8 / -7 )

Ukraine, said it could shut down the facility - a move Kyiv said would increase the risk of a nuclear catastrophe.

Why?

Did Ukraine forget that this was a Soviet built facility and the Russians know very well how to operate it including the proper shutdown procedures!

Again crazy accusations the "they bombed themselves" failed.

Even Reuters is cooling its heels.

Reuters cannot independently confirm the military situation there or responsibility for shelling.

Which is quite different from previous articles clearly slanted to support the Ukrainian claims.

Ukraine has now shown it's really worry, that Russia will either cut the power off or divert it to the Russian side by winter.

By claiming Russia is targeting the plant, by then saying Ukraine will fire on Russia troops it claims are firing on the plant, etc.. Ukraine is basically saying:

"if we can't have it or if you (Russia) cut us off, then neither of us will have power"

Make no mistake that is the game being played here,

Russia has the plant, 3 times it has been hit 3 times Ukraine accused Russia, not once did any western country say they believed Ukraine did it so we are to believe After 2 times Russia again tried the same thing that failed?

The only one that gained from shelling the plant was Ukraine again the sound of hooves is usually a horse not a unicorn.

Russia it's going to just give it back stop dreaming folds, Ukraine doesn't have the strength to take it back and Ukraine is petty enough to "disable" the plant by any means if Russia cut the power or diverts the power.

-1 ( +8 / -9 )

The Russians should bomb an area adjacent to the mostly westerly nuke plant in the Ukraine on a day when the wing is blowing from east to west. Send a warning and I think you will find that will make the regimes masters tell the regime to stop shelling the plant in Zaporizhzhia.

-9 ( +2 / -11 )

stormcrow

Today 09:42 am JST

Using a nuclear reactor as a military base for operations. Those crazy Russians yet again!

And firing on that base is less crazy?

Well only if you believe that Russia fired 3 times on itself in 3 failed attempts to get the word to believe Ukraine was doing it.

Think about that, you hit yourself in the face, call the police say your neighbours did it, the police don't believe you, so you do it a second time and again the police don't believe you, so logically ( if we you the Ukrainian logic) you do it a third time somehow thinking the police will now believe you, this is what Ukraine and western news want us to believe!

1 ( +8 / -7 )

Russian troops at the nuclear plant have no idea how it operates other than putting a gun to the heads of the workers and forcing them to work.

The Soviets also built Chernobyl and look what happened there.

The Ruskies want the IAEA to enter the plant from their chosen site.

The Ukrainians want the IAEA to enter the plant from their chosen site.

Moscow had earlier rejected international calls for a demilitarized zone around the plant, which is still operated by Ukrainian engineers under Russian occupation, as "unacceptable".

The Ruskies are threatening to disconnect the plant from the grid which is needed to maintain operations and cooling of nuclear fuel. The Fukushima nuclear plant lost external power because of the earthquake which was part of the problem leading to its nuclear disaster.

The Ruskies need to remove their troops from the plant and allow the IAEA to enter and inspect the safety.

-5 ( +4 / -9 )

Remember we are dealing with the corruption twins here Russia and Ukraine.

This is over money and power literally power, Ukraine is worried Russia will either shut off the power or divert it this winter.

The fact that Ukraine is still paying Russia for gas and selling it on at a profit to it's western neighbours is quite telling.

The fact that Ukraine tried to get Germany to not return the gas pump turbine to Russia and instead offered to sell Germany "Russian" gas via Ukraine (of course at a higher price) makes one wonder.

-2 ( +7 / -9 )

Relatives of Ukrainian troops who surrendered at the Azovstal steel factory in Mariupol under a U.N.-backed deal staged a demonstration during Guterres's visit calling for more efforts to protect them.

A lot of those surrendered troops (who defied Zelensky's order to fight to the death despite the hopeless situation and the complete lack of any military value in doing so, forcing Zelensky to publicly reverse his order) and Russian guards and investigators were at the prison that was shelled by 'someone'.

Theory one is that the Russian military shelled the Russian military to destroy evidence of war crimes at the prison (of course, theory one that Russia military shelled the Russian military at the nuclear site because Russia is willing to openly commit heinous war crimes)

Theory two is that Zelensky shelled the nuclear site because he is willing to commit heinous war crimes even if it means killing Ukrainians because he can simply claim it was Russia and see that claim repeated by the US government and media (of courself, theory two that Zelensky shelled the prison because he is willing to commit war crimes even if it means killing Ukrainians because he can simply claim it was Russia and see that claim repeated by the US government and media)

Which theory you think is most likely is up to you.

1 ( +6 / -5 )

For those who don't think Russia is capable of this:

The Russian Ministry of Defense (MoD) appears to be setting information conditions to blame Ukrainian forces for future false flag operations at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (NPP). The chief of Russia’s Radiation, Chemical, and Biological Defense Forces, Lieutenant General Igor Kirillov, claimed in an August 18 briefing that Ukrainian forces are preparing for a provocation at the Zaporizhzhia NPP and that the provocation is meant to coincide with UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres’ visit to Ukraine.[10] Kirillov accused Ukrainian forces of preparing to stage this provocation in order to blame Russia for causing a nuclear disaster and create a 30km-wide exclusion zone around the NPP.[11] Kirillov’s briefing, which was amplified by the Russian MoD, coincides with reports that Russian authorities told Russian NPP employees to not come in to work tomorrow, August 19.[12] Leaked footage from within the plant shows five Russian trucks very close to one of the reactors at the NPP on an unspecified date, which may indicate the Russian forces are setting conditions to cause a provocation at the plant and to shift the information narrative to blame Ukraine for any kinetic events that occur on the territory of the plant.[13] (https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-18)

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

wallace

Today 10:27 am JST

Russian troops at the nuclear plant have no idea how it operates other than putting a gun to the heads of the workers and forcing them to work.

> The Soviets also built Chernobyl and look what happened there.

> The Ruskies want the IAEA to enter the plant from their chosen site.

Using "Ruskies" you sound like a bad 80s American movie.

Do you think the Russians didn't bring in their own experts to oversea the Ukrainian operator.

The propaganda of incompetent Russia is sad attempt at saying nothing factual.

Remember Chernobyl was under the Ukrainian Soviet authorities as it was located in ukrainian administrative zone so you and I have no idea the ethnic or regional origins of those that made the mistakes.

Moscow had earlier rejected international calls for a demilitarized zone around the plant, which is still operated by Ukrainian engineers under Russian occupation, as "unacceptable".

Now you forgot that Moscow has invited the IAEA to inspect but it is Ukraine that refuses to give permission.

If Ukraine is as worried as it pretends to be it would welcome and IAEA inspection.

This contradiction if Russia militarized the plant, Russia is firing on the plant, Russia doesn't know how to operate the plant, Russia may shut it down wrong, etc...followed by:

"No Ukraine will not let independent IAEA inspectors visit the plant"

Does the above NO INSPECTION PERMISSION by Ukraine give the impression it is really as serious as they claim?

Think about it you and your neighbour are in a property dispute, you smell gas, the gas company wants to check but you say no because the area is on the disputed section your neighbour controls so you risk blowing both of you up!

No if you are really worried you give the gas company permission.

Sometimes logic is needed

-5 ( +5 / -10 )

Madness. The whole thing is madness because the Russian base at Sebastopol was working fine and had no trouble with Ukraine. Now look at that base and the trouble.

-1 ( +2 / -3 )

fallaffel

Today 10:38 am JST

Now please find a less pro war source.

ISW generally advocates to increase American military involvement in international conflicts. Their political stances tend to align with the business interests of the ISW's funders, whose activities include producing tanks and weapon systems.

The source and link you use is a USA military equipment manufacturers funded website made to look like some independent information source

ISW currently operates as a nonprofit organization, supported by contributions from defense contractors including General Dynamics, DynCorp, and previously, Raytheon.

>

-5 ( +5 / -10 )

Antiquesaving

 10:47 am JST

wallace

Today 10:27 am JST

Using "Ruskies" you sound like a bad 80s American movie.

The Putin invasion is just like a 1980s Soviet Union, so I'll stick with Ruskies.

Do you think the Russians didn't bring in their own experts to oversea the Ukrainian operator.

No, I do not and the only Ruskies in the plant are conscripts

The propaganda of incompetent Russia is sad attempt at saying nothing factual.

> Remember Chernobyl was under the Ukrainian Soviet authorities as it was located in ukrainian administrative zone so you and I have no idea the ethnic or regional origins of those that made the mistakes.

The Soviet Union built and controlled Chernobyl. The worlds greatest nuclear disaster.

Soviet authorities knew of the AZ-5 flaw, but they classified this information, just like previous nuclear accidents. Admitting flaws meant admitting that the image of technological ascendancy the Soviet Union wanted to project was a lie.

Moscow had earlier rejected international calls for a demilitarized zone around the plant, which is still operated by Ukrainian engineers under Russian occupation, as "unacceptable".

Now you forgot that Moscow has invited the IAEA to inspect but it is Ukraine that refuses to give permission.

No like I stated the Ruskies want the IAEA to enter the plant from their chosen site.

If Ukraine is as worried as it pretends to be it would welcome and IAEA inspection.

Like I said Ukraine wants the IAEA to enter the plant from their chosen site.

This contradiction if Russia militarized the plant, Russia is firing on the plant, Russia doesn't know how to operate the plant, Russia may shut it down wrong, etc...followed by:

> "No Ukraine will not let independent IAEA inspectors visit the plant"

> Does the above NO INSPECTION PERMISSION by Ukraine give the impression it is really as serious as they claim?

Think about it you and your neighbour are in a property dispute, you smell gas, the gas company wants to check but you say no because the area is on the disputed section your neighbour controls so you risk blowing both of you up!

> No if you are really worried you give the gas company permission.

> Sometimes logic is needed

Nothing to do with the nuclear plant.

The Ruskies should remove their conscripted troops. Ukraine should agree not to put their troops in the plant which would be difficult because the area is controlled by Russia. The IAEA should freely enter the plant.

-3 ( +4 / -7 )

ua forces are shelling nuclear power plant and this Guterres is taking photo with leader of these attacks and going to blame...Russia?

my logic seems to be out of order folks...

-4 ( +5 / -9 )

wallace

Today 11:01 am JST

The Ruskies should remove their conscripted troops. Ukraine should agree not to put their troops in the plant which would be difficult because the area is controlled by Russia. The IAEA should freely enter the plant.

No like I stated the Ruskies want the IAEA to enter the plant from their chosen site.

So in summary you agree no danger because if there really was any danger logically the IAEA would be welcomed

So the simple fact you, others, Ukraine see no urgent need for the IAEA to inspect means clearly that all you concerns are purely political and no safety issues.

The fact you couldn't or wouldn't view my example of what people really do if lives ara on line is proof.

If Ukraine was really worried it would let the IAEA inspect that is simple logic or maybe you are suggesting Ukraine doesn't care about lives and the politics are more important than a possible nuclear disater.

You go on about Chernobyl but then make excuses as to why it is ok for Ukraine to block IAEA inspection.

Makes zero sense or logic.

-5 ( +5 / -10 )

Any particular reason why all nuclear plants and facilities in Ukraine aren't being put under UN observation with UN peace keeping troops to ensure that they remain off limits in the conflict? The IAEA shouldn't be held back negotiating with Ukraine and Russia for access, they should be brought in on UN planes with fighter escorts.

0 ( +6 / -6 )

So here is what we are told to believe by Ukraine and supporters.

Russia doesn't know how to operate the plant properly despite is being basically a Russian/Soviet made facility.

The Russians are shelling their own positions.

The Russians may shut the plant down incorrectly ( again it is a Russian/Soviet built facility).

The Operators are Ukrainian prisoners and again Russia doesn't know how to operate it, again Russian/Soviet built.

And the situation is critical, dangerous, major possible disaster!

Followed by:

"NO Ukraine will not give IAEA l permission to inspect"

Does that really sound like someone that is so worried?

-3 ( +6 / -9 )

OssanAmerica

Today 11:16 am JST

Any particular reason why all nuclear plants and facilities in Ukraine aren't being put under UN observation with UN peace keeping troops to ensure that they remain off limits in the conflict? The IAEA shouldn't be held back negotiating with Ukraine and Russia for access, they should be brought in on UN planes with fighter escorts.

Right and a "Soviet" made weapon shoots down the plane Ukraine says it was Russia and the USA and NATO got the free pass to WW3.

And yes it will be Ukraine because Russia has already said yes to the IAEA only Ukraine is refusing.

Next if Ukraine is claiming that the Russians who built the plant aren't capable or running it, where is the UN going to find a Neutral team trained in operating a Soviet area facility?

A simpler solution, Ukraine let's the IAEA in and we see their independent report on the operation and safety of the plant.

Wouldn't that be the responsible thing?

-2 ( +6 / -8 )

Antiquesaving

11:10 am JST

wallace

So in summary you agree no danger because if there really was any danger logically the IAEA would be welcomed

You or I do not know that. The IAEA has expressed "concerns" over the safety of the plant. You seem to refuse to accept that both countries, Ukraine and Russia both want a different method of entering the IAEA.

Russia is the aggressor and occupier.

So the simple fact you, others, Ukraine see no urgent need for the IAEA to inspect means clearly that all you concerns are purely political and no safety issues.

You are constantly lopsided with Ruskies on this situation. Ruskies are the aggressor. The Ruskies have threatened to disconnect the grid.

The fact you couldn't or wouldn't view my example of what people really do if lives ara on line is proof.

The plant has not reached some critical point as long as the cooling of the nuclear fuels continues and provides there is enough diesel for the backup generators.

The Ruskies too would be hurt by any nuclear accident at the plant.

If Ukraine was really worried it would let the IAEA inspect that is simple logic or maybe you are suggesting Ukraine doesn't care about lives and the politics are more important than a possible nuclear disater.

You just repeat yourself

You go on about Chernobyl but then make excuses as to why it is ok for Ukraine to block IAEA inspection.

I did not "go on about Chernobyl" so now you deny that Ruskie nuclear disaster?

"The Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Station in southeastern Ukraine is the largest nuclear power plant in Europe and among the 10 largest in the world. It was built by the Soviet Union near the city of Enerhodar, on the southern shore of the Kakhovka Reservoir on the Dnieper river. "

To supply Russia with cheap power.

Makes zero sense or logic.

Looking back at you kid.

-2 ( +4 / -6 )

Antiquesaving

So here is what we are told to believe by Ukraine and supporters.

> Russia doesn't know how to operate the plant properly despite is being basically a Russian/Soviet made facility.

Do you have insider info or a link to show there are qualified experienced Ruskie nuclear engineers inside the plant? If there are why would they need the Ukrainian nuclear workers?

The Russians are shelling their own positions.

> The Russians may shut the plant down incorrectly ( again it is a Russian/Soviet built facility).

They have threatened to disconnect the plant from the grid. A nuclear power plant requires an external power source to operate.

The Operators are Ukrainian prisoners and again Russia doesn't know how to operate it, again Russian/Soviet built.

You repeat

And the situation is critical, dangerous, major possible disaster!

How do you know what is even happening inside the plant? The IAEA only expressed concerns.

Followed by:

"NO Ukraine will not give IAEA l permission to inspect"

Nor will the Ruskies until it is done to their terms.

Does that really sound like someone that is so worried?

-2 ( +4 / -6 )

 Ukraine is playing a dangerous blackmail game

The above once again ignores the fact that Putin's armies invaded Ukraine and started a war that so far has killed thousands of civilians and made who knows how many more houseless.

Russian forces go back to Russia and look after your own families and fellow citizens. Russian prisoners now fighting in Ukraine because your dictator and other crime bosses could not get enough of your fellow Russians to fight their wars for Putin's glory, go back to your prisons and finish the time you were sentenced to be there, stop robbing, raping and killingUkrainian civilians.

-2 ( +5 / -7 )

Do you have insider info or a link to show there are qualified experienced Ruskie nuclear engineers inside the plant? If there are why would they need the Ukrainian nuclear workers?

On March 12th 22 the plant operation was turned over to Rosatom the Russian state nuclear operator so your previous claim

No, I do not and the only Ruskies in the plant are conscripts

is incorrect.

So again you post feelings not facts.

They have threatened to disconnect the plant from the grid. A nuclear power plant requires an external power source to operate.

Again you are confused!

Diverting or cutting off Ukraine isn't what Ukraine is claiming to be worried about.

Let me remind you Ukraine's claim from the article:

Ukraine, said it could shut down the facility - a move Kyiv said would increase the risk of a nuclear catastrophe.

No proof no reason why a shut down would cause a "nuclear catastrophe " because a shut down wouldn't cause any nuclear danger on the contrary it would reduce the danger.

A shutdown would cut Ukrane's power and that is the only real danger of shut down.

Ukraine and others are fear mongering but then refuse IAEA inspection.

You can try to justify it as much as you want, of Ukraine was really worried, if Ukraine really believed Russia shelled it own facility then Ukraine would welcome independent inspection but it refuses.

-2 ( +6 / -8 )

The spoils of war: How Russia is leveraging Europe’s largest nuclear power plant

The Russian Army is storing weapons at the Ukrainian facility in Zaporizhia and preparing a plan to connect it to its own electricity grid.

"Separated by a few miles of water, Russian and Ukrainian soldiers watch each other through binoculars. A small detachment of the Ukrainian Army is stationed in the village of Illinka, on the western bank of the Dnipro River in southern Ukraine. Across the river stands Europe’s largest nuclear power plant – Zaporizhzhia. According to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry, more than 500 Russian soldiers, 50 military vehicles, ammunition, and artillery batteries are positioned in the plant."

"The IAEA has requested access to the plant for its inspectors, a demand so far ignored by the Russians. Ukrainian authorities are also against an IAEA visit because they cannot guarantee the safety of the inspectors. "

https://english.elpais.com/international/2022-07-29/the-spoils-of-war-how-russia-is-leveraging-europes-largest-nuclear-power-plant.html

-2 ( +5 / -7 )

More illogical stuff we are to believe.

Russia doesn't know how to run, maintain or shut the plant down if needed.

Funny hilarious.

It is built by the Soviet Union, it's design is owned by Atomstroyexport a Russian company located in Moscow and the facility, parts equipment are all supplied by and from Russia.

But Zelensky and fans would have us believe that the Russian Don't know how to run it or shut it down.

1 ( +6 / -5 )

Rosatom denies plans of full control over Zaporozhye NPP — IAEA

VIENNA, March 13. /TASS/. Rosatom Director General Alexey Likhachev has assured the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that Russia had no plans of taking Ukraine’s Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (NPP) under full control.

https://tass.com/world/1421311

-1 ( +5 / -6 )

Reactors that are shut down require cooling 24/7 which is provided by an external power to the plant or emergency diesel generators.

If there is less power generated within Ukraine then outrages at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant could occur.

Even if the Ruskies connect the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant to their grid it will still require external power supplies.

0 ( +6 / -6 )

wallace

Today 11:59 am JST

The IAEA has requested access to the plant for its inspectors, a demand so far ignored by the Russians. Ukrainian authorities are also against an IAEA visit because they cannot guarantee the safety of the inspectors. "

How long did it take to find and article to support your claim!

I did a quick google and funny thing everything came up the same Russia yes Ukraine No.

Russia says it will facilitate IAEA visit to Ukrainian nuclear plant

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-will-facilitate-iaea-mission-ukrainian-nuclear-plant-foreign-ministry-2022-08-15/

Russia says it will do “everything necessary” to allow specialists from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to visit the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in southern Ukraine amid fears over the plant’s safety due to shelling.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/08/16/us-ukraine-crisis-russia-nuclear#:~:text=%2DRussia%20says%20it%20will%20do,plant%27s%20safety%20due%20to%20shelling.

These were just the 2 first results for "will russia let iaea into ukraine"

Strange how not one like yours.

1 ( +7 / -6 )

Russian forces go back to Russia and look after your own families and fellow citizens.

Ok let's use your own words.

The above once again ignores the fact that Putin's armies invaded Ukraine

So stop with all the silly "Russia needs to go home.

It isn't going to happen and Ukraine counts of people like you to keep this idea alive.

If this is such a dangerous situation then Ukraine would let the IAEA in.

So we have 2 choices either it isn't as dangerous as Ukraine is claiming or Ukraine is so insane that it would rather risk a nuclear disater than give permission.

Which is it?

-1 ( +6 / -7 )

Why do the Ruskies need 500 troops inside the  Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Station?

-2 ( +5 / -7 )

wallace

Today 12:12 pm JST

Reactors that are shut down require cooling 24/7 which is provided by an external power to the plant or emergency diesel generators

Thank for the obvious.

I guess you think you thought about all this before the Russians who built the plant?

I really don't get your attempt at trying to pretend he Russians don't know how to work their own plant they operate plenty of the same reactors across Russia, Belarus, etc ..but again we are to believe you and Zelensky know better.

-2 ( +5 / -7 )

wallace

Today 12:23 pm JST

Why do the Ruskies need 500 troops inside the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Station?

Did you and Zelensky go in and count them or is this information from some unconfined source as usual?

The fact Zelensky and you keep trying to say the guys that built the nuclear plant don't know how to operate it , well makes me doubt pretty much the rest.

-5 ( +3 / -8 )

Antiquesaving

you have posted numerous comments claiming all western news cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

U.N. can facilitate IAEA power plant visit, but Russia puts conditions

"But he said both Russia and Ukraine have to agree. Both countries have said they want IAEA inspectors to visit. IAEA chief Rafael Grossi has said he was ready to lead a mission and called on Russia and Ukraine to cooperate."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/un-can-facilitate-iaea-visit-power-plant-if-russia-ukraine-agree-2022-08-15/

Russia rejects UN calls for demilitarised zone around Ukraine nuclear plant

Grossi said he was ready to lead an international expert mission to inspect the site in south-eastern Ukraine and called on Russia and Ukraine to cooperate so officials could travel as soon as possible.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/12/ukraine-war-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-power-plant-iaea-un-watchdog-warns-catastrophic-consequences

Fukushima-type emergency at Zaporozhye NPP possible — expert

https://tass.com/politics/1495265

Russia expects experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to visit the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant in the nearest future, Russian Foreign Ministry Deputy Spokesman Ivan Nechayev said on Thursday.

https://tass.com/politics/1495325

1 ( +6 / -5 )

I’ve been on the side of the Ukrainians ever since Day 1 of this invasion, and I still am. However in this case none of the power station blame scenarios being advanced by the Ukrainians make any sense. Russian troops control Zaporizhzhia and have done for months. Ukrainian forces are facing them from the southern side of the reservoir. Why would the Russians shell their own troops, risking their own deaths, damage to a facility they obviously want, and potentially a nuclear disaster that would impact on them as badly as it would Ukraine? The most likely scenario is that it’s Ukrainian troops who are attacking the NPP as part of a stated intention of taking back territory, and Russian troops are firing back without too much concern about the consequences. That old cliche about truth being the first casualty of war is correct, but you have to accept that it’s not only the enemy who’s guilty of lying.

4 ( +7 / -3 )

wallace

Today 12:33 pm JST

Writing everything in bold doesn't make it any factual orale you look any better.

-3 ( +4 / -7 )

Antiquesaving

you nor I know the state of play inside the nuclear plant. We do not know if there are Ruskie nuclear engineers in there or not. If there are why do they still need Ukrainian ones?

Did you miss my post

Rosatom denies plans of full control over Zaporozhye NPP — IAEA

VIENNA, March 13. /TASS/. Rosatom Director General Alexey Likhachev has assured the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that Russia had no plans of taking Ukraine’s Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (NPP) under full control.

https://tass.com/world/1421311

The Rosatom Director General denies taking control of the plant.

At Fukushima, there were also qualified and experienced nuclear engineers but because of the external loss of power, caused the nuclear meltdowns.

There are many people who do not know or understand why a nuclear power generating plant needs an external power supply since the plant is generating electricity. It also needs an external water supply feed by electric pumps.

At the nuclear power plant, there are several major safety features including passive cooling. The nuclear plant is not currently in any danger of a meltdown.

Staff at the occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant have described to the BBC being kept at gunpoint while Russian troops use it as a military base.

Russia is accused of basing about 500 soldiers there. Recent footage has showed military vehicles being driven inside, and Svitlana is in no doubt it's being used as a base.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62509638

0 ( +6 / -6 )

Antiquesaving

12:44 pm JST

wallace

Writing everything in bold doesn't make it any factual "orale" you look any better.

I highlighted the text from the links to make it easy for you to read because you have stated several times in the past you have some reading/writing challenges.

Not something I would normally do. If there was double spacing I would have used that instead.

1 ( +6 / -5 )

Why do the Ruskies need any troops and armor inside the nuclear plant when they control the surrounding area?

1 ( +6 / -5 )

wallace

Today 12:48 pm JST

Next you and Zelensky will tell me to take my Toyota to GM for maintenance because Toyota who built it doesn't know how to maintain it.

I mean that is exactly what you and Zelensky are trying to tell me and the world. Atomstroyexport of Russia built the reactor, it has supplied Ukraine with parts, expertise and training, but suddenly they "forgot" or don't know how to run their own equipment.

Do you really read what you write?

-2 ( +5 / -7 )

Russian troops which occupied the Chernobyl nuclear plant and the surrounding forest had to leave because of serve radiation sickness. They disturbed radiation dust inside the plant and the surrounding forest is highly contaminated by radiation.

Looks like their officers and leaders did not care enough.

1 ( +6 / -5 )

BigYen

Today 12:41 pm JST

That old cliche about truth being the first casualty of war is correct, but you have to accept that it’s not only the enemy who’s guilty of lying.

We can add a few more.

If you hear the sound of hooves think Horse not Zebra.

Or

Occam's razor variation:

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

We are expected to believe that Russia trying to get Ukraine in trouble fired on its own positions not once not twice but three times and getting no traction each time so it keeps trying.

As opposed to Ukraine fired on plant blamed Russia, everyone in the west believed it so it did it again and again to great effect with western media and governments pushing the narrative.

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

Only two of the six reactors are operating.

4 ( +7 / -3 )

wallace

Today 12:53 pm JST

Antiquesaving

> 12:44 pm JST

> wallace

> Writing everything in bold doesn't make it any factual "orale" you look any better.

> I highlighted the text from the links to make it easy for you to read because you have stated several times in the past you have some reading/writing challenges.

> Not something I would normally do. If there was double spacing I would have used that instead.

That is some great B. You did it because you aren't making sense and your pitiful attempt at getting to me by pointing out I have a disability shows how low you are now reaching.

What next telling a blind person you are yelling at them because they can't see your facial expressions?

I guess you and Zelensky nothing is to low to use.

-4 ( +4 / -8 )

Antiquesaving

I posted a link from TASS the Russian News Agency which you dismiss.

It does not assist your argument with the constant association of my good self and Zelensky.

I am stating according to Russian news there are no Russian nuclear engineers inside the nuclear plant and currently operating the plant which is now reduced to using just two reactors because of the lack of sufficient manpower.

I have not posted that Russian nuclear engineers can not understand and operate the nuclear plant. Regardless of who built the plant, I can inform you from personal experience that plants are never built 100% according to the design plans and there are faults that may not show up until an extreme incident occurs.

At Fukushima, prior to 3/11, had the same plant manager for 25 years. Once the nuclear accident happened he was unable to locate certain important valves because they were not in the locations they were on the plans. The No4 reactor was installed with a distorted reactor vessel which can cause serious problems.

Over the years, the system of a plant changes and is updated or parts replaced. The operators on the site usually know the most about the plant, but not always.

The nuclear plant is not in any current danger provided cooling to the reactors and spent pools are maintained.

Rosatom, the Russian state-run nuclear power giant, operates Russia's NPP.

2 ( +7 / -5 )

The simple fact is Ukraine, it's backers fear the IAEA inspection.

It is that simple.

All the claims Russia this Russia that in regards to the plant would be verified if the IAEA was permitted in.

The only obstacles is Ukraine.

Seems that there is possibly something Ukraine doesn't want the world to know.

If Ukraine is so worried and the safety so serious, then logic is to drop the pride and let the IAEA in to make sure nothing is wrong.

Ukraine holding out for Russia to return the plant to it before inspection doesn't sound like Ukraine is really worried, the only other choice is Ukraine cares more about the perception than the safety of western Ukraine and Europe.

-3 ( +5 / -8 )

Antiquesaving

you need to concentrate on the topic and leave aside the personal attacks and snide comments.

I have personal experience of working in the industry for decades.

I have not posted which side is shelling the plant.

I have stated the plant has been occupied since March by Russian troops, mostly conscripts, and armor. They are forcing Ukraine operators to run the plant. Believed to number about 500 troops from info from the workers.

There is no evidence of any Russian nuclear engineers in the plant.

I have never stated that Russian nuclear engineers could not operate the plant.

Westinghouse was also involved with the construction of the plant.

There is no reason for Russian troops to be inside the plant.

2 ( +7 / -5 )

Antiquesaving

I only made my post because you accused me of using bold. I explained why otherwise I would not have posted anything.

I was being thoughtful.

3 ( +7 / -4 )

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites