Recent Comments

Probably, behind the scene is the U.S. government, now encouraging Tokyo to go ahead with the joint project. Washington must have a far sight in the future of Japan-U.S. relations and eventually encourage Japan to participate in joint defense projects with it, to save money.

Posted in: Defense minister urges ruling parties to approve fighter jet exports See in context

FizzBitToday 12:19 pm JST

Woman clutching an infant found in rubble of Ukraine building after Russian drone strike

don’t recall any global news about Woman clutching an infant found in rubble in back in Donbas 2015 when Ukraine was bombing their own citizens.

Nothing from you about the Russian soldiers and artillery alongside at the time. Checks out.

Posted in: Woman clutching an infant found in rubble of Ukraine building after Russian drone strike See in context

American need not another MAGA campaign/riot, Nikki or Biden, both are far better than Trump

Posted in: Haley wins DC Republican primary and gets her first 2024 victory See in context

And strangely enough, the Dow Jones Industrial Average is flirting with the same 40,000 benchmark! The only difference being the DJIA is not denominated in dollars; while the Japanese media always report the Nikkei 225 index in units of Yen and Sen...

Posted in: Japan's Nikkei tops 40,000 for first time See in context

Ramsey's KitchenToday 12:36 pm JST

Putin has never said he is in favor of a ceasefire.

Wrong.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putins-suggestion-ukraine-ceasefire-rejected-by-united-states-sources-say-2024-02-13/

"A U.S. source denied there had been any official contact and said Washington would not engage in talks that did not involve Ukraine."

Russia needs to learn who it is fighting after two years.

Posted in: Woman clutching an infant found in rubble of Ukraine building after Russian drone strike See in context

They've also been boosted by continued easy credit policies that has the Bank of Japan pumping money into the economy to help support growth.

The BOJ policies impoverish workers to give a guaranteed income to rentiers.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/qe-the-ultimate-subsidy-for-the-rich/

And even Nikkei knows the prosperity for the vast majority in Japan is orthogonal to Nikkei gains.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Japan-s-corporate-profits-aren-t-trickling-down-new-data-shows

Posted in: Japan's Nikkei tops 40,000 for first time See in context

One time an elderly neighbour of ours tried to do some illegal dumping. An airfryer in the dead of night.l. he tried to abandon it at the rubbish point. The neighbourhood rubbish patrol knew who it was right way because he was the only foreigner in the area. He stopped receiving boxes of daikon and eggplant. Talk about profiling It wasn't really his fault though 粗大ゴミ should be easier to arrange for people with inferior Japanese language skills

Posted in: City in Saitama Prefecture to require multilingual trash rules posted for foreigners See in context

Yup you and ur posts immediately came to mind upon reading the title.

Though iirc your assertion is bleaker or rather your assertion was bleak while this article merely informs the bleak state of affairs.

Anyway still hoping for cites on, again iirc, I think you alluded to a mathematical proof /basis as early as the 1940s on why all efforts re this field are destined to be a failure.

But even if that wall indeed exist enterprising minds would continue to try to break thru. Many undoubtedly think they cam brute force through with sheer computing power

Posted in: We’ve been here before: AI promised humanlike machines – in 1958 See in context

Japan would be better off requiring fluency in Japanese; it would save money and promote assimilation of foreign workers. Diversity is a failed experiment that leads to social division and caste systems.

What planet are you from ?

Japan would be better of joining the international community and most of Asia by adopting and grasping the English language more.

Diversity isn't an experiment !

Diversity is an inevitable process and fact of human development and of nature.

English is expanding rapidly worldwide Japanese language isn't.

Given Japanese declining birthrate , aging population and lack of foreign workers i think more English and correct spelling of English would benefit Japan in many positive ways.

Posted in: City in Saitama Prefecture to require multilingual trash rules posted for foreigners See in context

As an english based foreigner in japan, most of the comments here is extremely self-serving. It makes little to no sense changing it, turning “fuji” into “huji” and the list goes on..

if english is really the main concern here, get rid of the bloody katakana..

i’m looking forward to the day our neighbours to north having a field day the moment japan started calling their national treasure “kimti”

Posted in: Japan to revise official romanization rules for 1st time in 70 years See in context

And didn’t a Japanese guy in America just get US$300,000 for falsely being arrested? I think the Japanese police should be coughing up more than just an apology.

Exactly! Excellent point!

Posted in: Tokyo police mistakenly arrest Filipino man for allegedly overstaying visa See in context

This is a very poor assumption. Here in Japan, as an owner of a dog here speaking, you have options when it comes to getting the yearly vaccination.

They are NOT always done by veterinarians who are familiar with the dog in question.

Which would be a responsibility of the owner, if they are actually worried about the vaccine, why would they choose someone not familiar to the dog? why would not they discuss vaccination with the veterinarian they choose? it makes no sense to think they would be at the same time worried about their dogs without doing anything about it.

Japan isn't a country where rabies in endemic!

Which is why the 99% of human cases statistic do not apply, the vaccination is part of the effort made to prevent human deaths in the completely possible case the disease re-enters the country.

In Asia this includes eastern Russia, bats are the number one source of rabies!

Is this rabies as a public health problem? because the number one case for human rabies in the world are dogs, they do represent the most likely source for human cases in general.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/rabies

In up to 99% of cases, domestic dogs are responsible for rabies virus transmission to humans. 

Is your argument now that bats should also be vaccinated? because if not this argument makes no sense. You are not trying to argue about the natural reservoir, but which animal is the actual vector that mediates human cases, and specifically which animal can be targeted with vaccination to break this chain before it reaches humans.

f rabies is ever discovered again in Japan, it isn't going to have entered with an imported dog or cat, it will come from the number one source in Asia bats, and in Asia cats are high on the list to transmit rabies.

And that would still make it extremely unlikely to produce human deaths unless it becomes endemic and involves dogs, which is the real danger.

Now ask yourself all of you, how many of you have been bitten by a dog and how many have been bitten or scratched by a cat?

Again, in countries where rabies is present dogs are the primary (by much) source of human cases, trying to ignore this fact only means you now understand your position is mistaken. There is no place where cats are the predominant source of human rabies.

And again I point out the odds of your pet dog coming into contact is very very low, but the odds of a free roaming cat are far higher

Which is still irrelevant unless your purpose is to protect the cat, for the purpose of protecting humans vaccination of dogs is the actual measure that is efficient.

Again you use selective data when you want to make your point!

Worldwide data as selective? which other planets do you think would be relevant to be included?

And I wont be getting my pooch done JUST to spite the negative nellies on this item

Since this is an enforceable responsibility as an owner your argument is that you are aware this is obligatory, useful and justified but that you consider your personal preference above the commitment you make as an owner even when you are unable to refute the validity of the measure.

1956...thats 67 or more years ago.

So close and yet the last step of the logical process is not there. Unless you can argue about 67 or more years free of rabies deaths without any vaccination done to reach and maintain that goal this is as rational as saying that people don't need any seat belts since hundreds of drivers survive crashes... while wearing them.

Cat are in Asia!

And yet they are not the main vector for human cases in Asia! which is the whole point. The main vector are dogs.

The reason there hasn't been rabies in Japan is it is an island county which made it easier to eliminate here!

By vaccinating dogs, not bats or cats.

Bats to Feral cats to domestic cats to human is a higher probability!

Of course not, there is no reference that says cats represent more risk to humans than dogs.

Posted in: Ratio of rabies vaccinations for pet dogs in Japan falls to 70% See in context

GuruMick

Today 12:30 pm JST

OK...you have 1 week to a month after contact to seek treatment...which in a modern country, makes fatalities rare.

> And I wont be getting my pooch done JUST to spite the negative nellies on this item.

> And when was the last case of rabies in humans in Japan ?

> 1956...thats 67 or more years ago.

> Posters here can live lives in fear of a 4.5 kilo mutt biting them but little Daisy will remain pure !!!

Ok odds are low! But again we are not living in the old days.

Today ships arrive every few minutes from other places in the world.

Bats are the main source in Asia!

Now in the summer take a walk into your nearest park at dusk.

Find a street lamp and look up!

Notice all the fast flying things? Those are bats!

Now look around that park and notice the feral cats!

Any ship arriving from another Asian port could be carrying infected bats, those feral cats try and sometimes succeed in catching bats.

Now that cat has rabies and unlucky you you little dog goes after the cat or what is more likely the cat mad from rabies decides to attack your dog as you are walking it!

Now what are you going to do? You dismissed the idea of rabies again showing up here so?

Posted in: Ratio of rabies vaccinations for pet dogs in Japan falls to 70% See in context

I was woken up by an older man knocking on my door at 5am to tell me to go downstairs and clean the road because the crows had eaten someone's trash.

This is why I support having messages in English. Partially to inform foreigners, but also a signal to (lets face it) r@cist busybodies that yes, foreigners know what the rules are. Having messages posted English pre-empts the r@cist assumption that "foreigners can't know what the rules are".

Posted in: City in Saitama Prefecture to require multilingual trash rules posted for foreigners See in context

HopeSpringsEternal

Hunter Biden laptop intel community cover up with big tech was election interference, well documented but it's time to look to the future, that's how elections are won!

So, we've seen the contents of the laptop now - what explosive information is on it that would have swayed an election? Apart from dick picks, I mean.

Posted in: Haley wins DC Republican primary and gets her first 2024 victory See in context

Nice. Lots of Down’s people working service jobs in Tokyo. Good to see.

My post. I wonder what schmuck gave it a thumbs down?

Posted in: Japanese model with Down syndrome fulfills dream; walks in Paris show See in context

there begin to come some hotter days in spring calendar months on the Northern hemisphere?

No hunch to have, but main thing first one time mustard in addition to give.

Posted in: Hot days may become more frequent starting in April or May. See in context

Her victory Sunday at least temporarily halts Donald Trump’s sweep of the GOP voting contests, although the former president is likely to pick up several hundred more delegates in this week’s Super Tuesday races.

Those Republicans, those purported blue collar working class in DC get it.

Haley will work for corporations but workers will get at least something.

https://aflcio.org/press/releases/sc-gov-nikki-haleys-real-economic-record-corporate-subsidies-over-public-good

Trump's business record, extensively documented, is off stiffing contractors and stealing the wages of those who have worked for him.

https://fortune.com/2016/09/30/donald-trump-stiff-contractors/

If you are supporting the GOP you take what you can get.

Posted in: Haley wins DC Republican primary and gets her first 2024 victory See in context

Tei Uka

Today 12:40 pm JST

And again I point out the odds of your pet dog coming into contact is very very low, but the odds of a free roaming cat are far higher.

> By vaccinating dogs, and to all intents and purposes exclusively dogs, Japan effectively eliminated human rabies cases. If transmission by cats was an appreciable vector, why have we not seen human rabies cases in 70 years

Cat are in Asia!

The reason there hasn't been rabies in Japan is it is an island county which made it easier to eliminate here!

The world has changed, contact with other countries especially via shipping is far more today, the fact that Australian redback spider was able to enter Japan via cargo ships is just one example!

Going by what WAS instead of what is today are very different things!

Feral cats have been pointed out by the various government agencies as a problem, and with strict controls on dogs (licensing leash laws vaccine etc..) the risk is far lower that rabies if it again reaches Japan dogs will be the vector into the human population.

Bats to Feral cats to domestic cats to human is a higher probability!

Posted in: Ratio of rabies vaccinations for pet dogs in Japan falls to 70% See in context

Don't blame the victim.

Posted in: Woman returns home from work to find man hiding under her bed See in context

More proof Govt. busy trying to prop up confidence in society with more BOJ EFT share purchase etc.

Meanwhile, consumer spending, savings and income all falling on an inflation adjusted basis. Go figure.

Posted in: Japan's Nikkei tops 40,000 for first time See in context

DanielsanToday  12:23 pm JST

Japan would be better off requiring fluency in Japanese; it would save money and promote assimilation of foreign workers.ems.

Yeah, and cut the number of killed and non-skilled immigrant workers by about 80% in the process.

Diversity is a failed experiment that leads to social division*

Ah, that old conservative well-worn meme.

Studies show diverse teams outperform in areas like creativity, problem-solving, and decision-making. Exposure to different backgrounds fosters new ideas and perspectives.

Other benefits of diversity that Japan is suffering from without

Stronger Reputation: Companies embracing diversity are seen as more progressive and attractive employers. This can help attract top talent from a wider pool and improve brand image.

Better Market Understanding: A diverse workforce can bring a wider range of experiences and cultural perspectives. This can be crucial for understanding and catering to diverse customer bases.

Improved Decision-Making: Diverse teams consider a wider range of viewpoints, leading to more well-rounded and effective decisions. This can be especially valuable in areas like product development or marketing campaigns.

Innovation and Problem-Solving: Different perspectives can spark new ideas and approaches to challenges. Diverse teams are often better at coming up with innovative solutions.

Greater Talent Pool: By embracing diversity, organizations tap into a broader pool of talent and skills. This can lead to a more competitive advantage in the marketplace.

You can't just chuck different people together and hope ti works though.

Building a truly inclusive environment where everyone feels valued takes effort. There can be initial discomfort as people adjust to new ways of working or communicating. Diversity itself doesn't cause division. However, if not managed well, it can highlight existing social cleavages. For example, if a diverse workplace lacks clear communication or has a history of discrimination, tensions might arise.

Posted in: City in Saitama Prefecture to require multilingual trash rules posted for foreigners See in context

Variety is the spice of life (Benjamin Franklin), makes for more interesting and healthy debate and discussion.

That's why we have elections! Nikki held up well, should be proud, has great future ahead at 52 in the Republican party, all respect her integrity, but still got lots to learn!

Posted in: Haley wins DC Republican primary and gets her first 2024 victory See in context

Nikki has no Presidential track record,

@hopespring. Obama didn't have presidential record too. He was president for 2 terms.

Posted in: Haley wins DC Republican primary and gets her first 2024 victory See in context

The conservative's neurosis can't let go of their belief in the stolen election.

And you can continue to say and think that, no worries.

Such a shame.

To you perhaps

They should seek help.

I think the left need help, no, there is no help for them.

Posted in: Haley wins DC Republican primary and gets her first 2024 victory See in context

There is no "disinformation". This recorded conversation took place on the 19th of February 2024. That is a fact.

Posted in: German defense minister said leaked audio is part of Russia's 'information war' against West See in context

Danielsan

what are you on about? XD That is such a backwards way of thinking....

Posted in: City in Saitama Prefecture to require multilingual trash rules posted for foreigners See in context

And again I point out the odds of your pet dog coming into contact is very very low, but the odds of a free roaming cat are far higher.

By vaccinating dogs, and to all intents and purposes exclusively dogs, Japan effectively eliminated human rabies cases. If transmission by cats was an appreciable vector, why have we not seen human rabies cases in 70 years?

Posted in: Ratio of rabies vaccinations for pet dogs in Japan falls to 70% See in context

Yes...to the Israelis children are sacred...thats why so many have been killed.

I would guess many summer camps in the US have weapons "safety and handling " aspects.

BTW Israeli juniors at their summer camp practice in grounded military fighters.

I'm not buying the silly "Kiddies summer camp for terrorists " narrative BUT...given the Israeli brutal occupation it would be wise to have some skills .

Posted in: Netanyahu rival’s visit to U.S. highlights cracks within Israel’s wartime leadership See in context

Articles, Offers & Useful Resources

A mix of what's trending on our other sites


©2024 GPlusMedia Inc.